Would this pickup combo work?

O

Orange Tortex

I’m building a guitar that I can play hard rock, metal, and grunge on. So for the pickups I decided on the SD ‘59 (SH-1n) for neck, and SD Custom 5 Trembucker (TB-14) for bridge. I have some questions about them:
The ‘59 comes with the option of a 1-conductor wire or a 4-conductor wire. I looked at the wiring diagram for my layout on Seymour Duncan’s website, and it looks like I need the 4-conductor, but I’m not sure. It’s a two humbucker, one volume, one tone, and 3-way blade switch layout. So what do I need?
Also, while doing some research about the conductors, I found that the ‘59 is actually a long legged pickup. The Custom 5 I’m pretty sure is short legged. I was planning on going for wood mount routings, but since one pickup is not short legged, will I have to go with one regular humbucker routing and one wood mount routing, or would that not work properly for some reason?

Just swap the base plate on the 59, it’s not difficult. I think you can special order a 59 with a short leg base plate, but it’s been years since I checked that. Either way, swapping the base plate works just as well, only takes a few minutes, and is simple to do if you can’t order one with short legs.

Or if you don't have the skills for the base plate, just get pups that fit your requirements.

ChrisMC said:
Just swap the base plate on the 59, it’s not difficult. I think you can special order a 59 with a short leg base plate, but it’s been years since I checked that. Either way, swapping the base plate works just as well, only takes a few minutes, and is simple to do if you can’t order one with short legs.
Does that change the tone?

rick2 said:
Or if you don't have the skills for the base plate, just get pups that fit your requirements.
I’m pretty set on these two pickups because they have the right sound, (but also I’m too lazy to look anymore).
So is it feasible to just rout the neck for regular humbucker and rout the bridge for wood mount?

When specing and building your own build, I would highly suggest not being lazy.  It’s real easy to not only end up with something you don’t want/like, you could end up with something that doesn’t work.

I recommend you get some guitar books, the first two you should order on amazon, ebay or one of those used book websites, probably get them for $5 a piece used, are Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, and the Guitar Handbook by Denyer.

Anyone else have book recommendations?

TBurst Std said:
When specing and building your own build, I would highly suggest not being lazy.  It’s real easy to not only end up with something you don’t want/like, you could end up with something that doesn’t work.
Yeah you’re right… I’m just ready to get this thing ordered so I can put it together.

Back