Woods for a neck

Pascau

I'm wondering what woods to use for the neck/board on my first Warmoth. :toothy10:

Currently for the body, I'm thinking:

Alder back/Black Korina lam. top LPS flat top with tummy/forearm contours
H-x-H pickup setup, likely Seymour Duncan Jazz or a Benedetto or a Bartolini in the neck position, undecided for the bridge pickup.

The tone I'm aiming for is a fairly modern clean jazz sound, that is fairly bell-like/has added highs. The sound clip I've been using as an example is http://www.davidocchipinti.com/Samples9.html

So my question is:

What are your thoughts for the neck?
So far I've been considering:

---- Padouk neck with Ebony or Satine board
---- Maple neck with Ebony or Satine board
---- Wenge or Rosewood with Ebony or Satine board

One of the things I'm worried about is weight, as I would not like to have a neck heavy guitar... I'm considering Satine mainly because it apparently has added highs, which is what I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

i'm all for the satine board. i haven't had one yet but it won't sound too diferent from the ebony and it's unusual, the color will get atention.
padouk will suposedly sound like maple but the color is again very cool.

there is a you tube video floating around of a guy with a padouk neck on an LPS mahogony with a rosewood top. he does some jazzy stuff. might be what your looking for.

you can try rosewood on some upper end PRS guitars, you might like it. but if you want highs satine,padouk and maple are more known for that.
i can't say for sure that rosewood has less treble, but is known to have a more rounded upper end, that is it doesn't have that shrillness you might get on a strat.

oh and have you thought about a satine neckback? warmoth offers that. but i think some woods can't be made into an angled peghead, maybe because the glue doesn't hold as well.

i have a purple heart neck and i think it would work very well for jazz. i guess it doesn't work every color scheme though.

i don't think that an lps is as prone to neck dive as say a flying V(do to it's strap location) or a thinline(do to it's weight) the purple heart neck is on a black korina holow tele body that is about as light as they come and no issues. but it is close to the point that neck dive will occur. it balences at the neck joint. i think with an alder body you'll be fine.

What are your thoughts for the neck?
So far I've been considering:

---- Padouk neck with Ebony or Satine board
---- Maple neck with Ebony or Satine board
---- Wenge or Rosewood with Ebony or Satine board

One of the things I'm worried about is weight, as I would not like to have a neck heavy guitar... I'm considering Satine mainly because it apparently has added highs, which is what I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Any of those combos would be fine as you'd be talking about only an ounce or three between necks.  Scale length will have more profound effect on your sound then the material of the neck.  That said, it's been my experience that rosewood would give you the warmest sound while maple would give you the most added highs and mates well with alder.  As to the fretboard, go with what you can afford or looks the prettiest between ebony and satine.  So in sum, any combo but rosewood, if tone is the primary consideration.

Well I love my all-rosewood neck, mainly for the feel but also the look, and I guess it contributes a warm character to the sound - who knows with so many other variables involved, we almost never scientifically test this tone stuff. That's what I'd pick if you were considering an alternative to mahogany. The difference between ebony and Satine? Who knows.

On my alder body black korina top hollow thinline, I have a padouk/ebony neck and it produces the exact tone you are describing. Of course the Gibson '57 classics contribute quite well too.
BB in SC

Back