wood suggestions for lollar imperial hum buckers

swaybo

hello,
I'm curious of everyones thoughts on  body wood using hum buckers neck and bridge, mostly likely using a roasted maple neck.
tones I enjoy, jimmy herring, Marcus king,allen hinds .
I know tone comes from many places besides the wood but , I was thinking in order
koa
black korina
mahogany
maple
padouk
any suggestions would be appreciated, this will be a7/8 build using warhead roasted maple neck,lollar imperials

You are using a 24.75" neck, so vintage style PAFs such as Lollar Imperial should work well IMO.
I used the Lollar Imperial neck on a hardtail strat-style guitar with Warmoth body made from Alder, and maple neck with an ebony fingerboard. 
It was brighter than I expected, but it was using Fender scale 25.5" neck.  In that guitar the Lollar neck pickup was lacking in mids.  I no longer have the guitar or the Lollar pickup.

If it were me I'd personally go with Black Korina or Mahogany as they would be classic and the roasted maple neck is a nice touch. The only humbucker guitars I have are poplar body with maple neck and Wenge fretboard (no rules followed there...) and an Ibanez with a cousin of mahogany with a maple neck and ebony board. Both sound good.

Look at the Warmoth.com website they have pretty good description of wood and the sound properties.  Koa, is the tone wood of the Gods, so no quibbles there.  Black Korina and Mahogany will impart warmth, maple will make it brighter ... what tone are looking for, if you don't know, then go with chicken, I mean, Alder.

I find tree wood works the best.

Pick whatever looks pretty to you. Or if you have back problems, pick whatever is light weight.

Back