Wood pickguards?

I’ve always liked the idea of a wooden pickguard or anything non-plastic. Haven’t had one though.

One thing to consider, based on my experience with wooden pickup rings, is that a wooden pickguard might be quite brittle

Yeah that's my biggest concern. I think I may just get some blanks and make a few myself. Any thoughts on which types of wood would be more/less brittle? I personally like the look at Padouk.

This is a Warmoth Strat build that I put a solid walnut PG on. Got it on Reverb. Old style 8 screws. Rosewood knobs I got on ebay. The ash PUP covers I found on the internet.

Attachments

• Wood Strat 2.jpg
    Wood Strat 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
Why not? Too much work?

I went ahead and bought some blanks. Still not sure how I'm going to finish it. Hoping to essentially plasticize the wood.

That's awesome! Where'd you get it? And any issues?

I ordered it a few years ago from a company out of Australia called “Gilroy Guitars”. No issues. Great looking and functioning pick-guard that can double as a Rorschach test! I see an Amazon woman with Bozo hair, sitting cross-legged, with giant lobster claw hands. But, then again, I did drugs in college.

hehehehe

Bill, tgo

Why not? Too much work?
It was way more effort than it was worth. Given its custom shape, I spent a lot of time and effort just building out the templates both for the pickguard and for the recess in the body. And now I have a bunch of template offcasts and scrap MDF that are just hanging out collecting more sawdust and cobwebs and taking up space in my workshop! :)

I supposed if I had a CNC, it would've cut out a lot of the extra work, but I didn't have one. So it relied on a lot of negative-space routing, trial & error with router bushings and different bit diameters, then how do I support the router when it's in the middle of the "lake" of the recess on the body.....

The guitar itself still needs a lot of electronics work, particularly with grounding and shielding (horrid, HORRID buzzing when it's plugged in). I think that's also contributing to my lack of desire to put any more work into it. Otherwise, it's comfortable and fun to play (not plugged in) and is a unique look.....but I'm really so done with that one!

And the kicker is that the neck is a beautiful one-piece roasted maple WM neck. So smooth and comfortable to play....but for the frustrations that built up in building the guitar as a whole.

Back