Wood control cavity and tremolo covers

John-  How much will it increase my tone? :toothy10:     I'll have to check inside my control cavity to see if there is 1/4" clearance - I had to use deep panel push-pull pots and the shafts are quite long. thats what she said.    It may be something that I can work around with sanding and/or a dremel, but I do want to check first.
Jim

Neil, you should still be ok with the push pulls and even with the long shaft les paul type pots you should still have more than enough room.  If you want, you can send me a picture of your cavity and I can relief some wood back there just to be safe.  I do all the work on the back of the covers by hand, so it isn't a big deal to go over it again and put in some routs for the pots.  On my guitar I am going to mount the battery so it comes up through the cover so I don't have to cut any more holes in the body, I'd rather chop up one of my covers to put the battery in.....  Just let me know what you need, this is the beauty of custom parts, they are custom.  My goal with these is to make every cover so it can just be dropped in with no customer modifications necessary.  Thanks buddy

I found some walnut here in my wood archives.  I am actually going to eventually build me a SG out of walnut, but I have enough for a bunch of covers more than 20 of them probably.  I will post up pics once I get a couple done.  Funny how I have no maple to sacrifice, I only ever made guitars out of maple, I don't have anything other than a cutting board that I could sacrifice to make maple covers with.  I gotta take my dad for a test at the hospital in a few minutes, and while I'm waiting I am going to the local lumber yard to price some maple 1/4" plywood, some mahogony, and some ash.  I know that I can get the maple ply pretty reasonably, they use it to make maple kitchen cabinets, it's really white before it is finished....

I made this one a few weeks ago for my spalted tele I'm building. The body came with a mahogany cover but I like the way the spalted matches my top...
Hey John, I have some nice pieces of flame veneer that might match your WGD...
spaltcover.jpg

index.php

Max said:
Neil Stryker X said:
the shafts are quite long. thats what she said.
Dude... Your girlfriend might not be a girlfriend.

The funny thing is here at work 2 of my direct cubicle neighbours are guitarists and they're also good buddies, so we talk guitarshop all day long... and we just crack ourselves up thinking about what other people must overhear us talking about.... nuts, f-holes, long shafts, short shafts, cream binding, wood, soft woods, hard woods, screwing in the wood panel to the body cavity, etc etc...  not to mention our demon-gremlin mascot - The "That's What She Said" Monster...  We get alot of use out of him.  The best is that Nut Sauce Lubricant stuff..  haha.

theklanch said:
Blue313 is sending me a tremolo cover so I will have wooden trem covers here shortly.
Just got back from dropping it off at the Post Office.  It should be there soon.

Blue313 said:
theklanch said:
Blue313 is sending me a tremolo cover so I will have wooden trem covers here shortly.
Just got back from dropping it off at the Post Office.  It should be there soon.

Man I do appreciate it thank you....  :rock-on:

Hey Doug that is some awesome maple how thick is it?  Can you tell me where you got it and might you be able to part with enough of that for a cover?  I'll make you one too if you want............  Did you figure out if this cover I made is gonna fit your guitar?  Let me know I'll drop it in the mail...

theklanch said:
Blue313 said:
theklanch said:

Man I do appreciate it thank you....  :rock-on:

Hey Doug that is some awesome maple how thick is it?  Can you tell me where you got it and might you be able to part with enough of that for a cover?  I'll make you one too if you want............  Did you figure out if this cover I made is gonna fit your guitar?  Let me know I'll drop it in the mail...
Hey John, I got a lot of 10 pieces off ebay. And they actually sent me those 3 flame pieces extra. It was from Frasier valley Fine Woods. Those pieces are big enough to probably get 2 covers from, I'll send you one if you want. And they are just under 3/16" thick. I had to mill mine down about .090" to get the correct thickness. Ya send me the cover you said you made and I'll check it to see how close it is..Pm me your address and I'll send you a piece of the flame...

Gregg, could you move this to the 'Find a guitar tech' section.............

Thanks

P.S.  I have a few of these done and ready to be shipped.  Who needs a better looking back cover than their black plastic one?

Also I will do a FREE cover for anybody that is willing to send me their control cover to use as a template.  Same goes with pickguards.  Freebie's will be first come first serve.  I'll do one freebie per shape.  (and I will send your plastic cover back to you when I am done with it)

C'mon guys, I really want to see everybody with a matching (or contrasting) wood control cover.  We all spent a lot of money on our Warmoth's, why not make them look even better.

PM me I'll gladly do trades on these also..............  I'm open to suggestions here

I'd like some for my LP - but I don't really want to send you the ones I have on there. It's not about you - I just don't want it uncovered since I play it every day. I assume the Warmoth LP is the same as the gibson one, but I don't know that for sure. They look the same, but I don't know if it's exact.

GoDrex, I completely understand you not wanting to keep her uncovered.  No worries.  When I get one, I will make you one.....

I might go to the music store and see what my buddy has I can borrow.......

I'm guessing you are gonna want mahogony?

theklanch said:
GoDrex, I completely understand you not wanting to keep her uncovered.  No worries.  When I get one, I will make you one.....

It doesn't have to be mahogany - I mean those cherry ones looked good to me. I don't really have a preference. I think any decent looking wood will be fine.

GoDrex said:
theklanch said:

It doesn't have to be mahogany - I mean those cherry ones looked good to me. I don't really have a preference. I think any decent looking wood will be fine.

Cool I am gonna look into it in the next couple of days.... I just realized I can do a switch cover for a LP also.

I would love a flame maple LP switch cover!.  What would be a good match for clear gloss swamp ash? 

How about an ash switch cover?  I do have a little bit of baseball bat ash here.  Might you want a control cover also?  I need a LP back cover for a template.  If you read I will do you one for free if I can use your covers as a template.  I don't have any flame maple, but I can get some if you want that.

Like I said PM me on here we can work something out!!!!

Here is a maple control cover that was made for me by a former member who shall remain nameless.....

l_f7e54951ae344d40be7638519c375dcf.jpg

I know he can make one for you too, however you would need to figure out how to get in touch with him  :icon_scratch:

Hey guys from the depths of the non cyber world, I have returned to my favorite forums.  Long story on not being on the internet (I got robbed and the computer was a casualty and I had better things to do with the insurance money)  But my dad bought a new machine and gave me his old one, so I am up and running!!!

Looking forward to chatting with y'all again and I'm still all good on making wooden control covers, so let me know what you might need.

I was actually commissioned to build a guitar for a friend of a friend.  I am waiting on specs of what he wants!!  A dream come true for me, to get paid build a guitar for someone else that will pay me what I think it is worth!!  I was getting pretty tired replacing output jacks.  That is all the guitar work I have been seeing lately.  Oh, wait, I did change a pickup about 6 months ago for a guy, and he still owes me the bag of buds he said he was gonna give me for it!!!

So anyway guys I'm glad to be back in the loop.

And I know better than to trash the turtle here, I learned my lesson once

Back