Wood control cavity and tremolo covers

theklanch

Hi everyone

I just wanted to offer my services to everyone on the forum.  What I can offer everyone here with quite a bit of consistency are wood back covers.  I just made a couple for my WGD.  I will post pics with this.  I have to make them at least 2 at a time, so I made a couple of extras out of some 1/4" furniture grade cherry plywood.  They are made to actually set into the body, meaning the mounting lip is slightly thinner than your old plastic cover.  Really nice stuff, and they fit great!!

If you want one made, the easiest way (until I get some different shapes) is to send me your plastic cover, unless you have the same shape cavity as my body has.  If you send me out your cover to make a template, I will give those people a super awesome deal. 

Again if you want rid of that ugly black plastic cover for your beautiful wood guitar, PM me and I will let you know what I can do for you!!

So for now, I have 2 cherry back covers available ready to go. 

Other woods will be available as requested.  I can also do these with wood you supply!

l_37f4d403c0b944b09a83e70b9fd913c6.jpg
m_5e5a3de0819d4b3ab63a6470b711c193.jpg
m_1119889847254ac4b1dd1bc4b8bddc2d.jpg
m_2f14da5ffb31434292b43f4dfc1bd334.jpg

Send me a private message if you want one we can work out the details and price. 

I would like to send them with no finish applied, that way you can match your own finish to your guitar.  They will be final sanded ready for finish.  I will accept paypal and good old cash.

Thanks again guys!!!!  :rock-on:

Ok after turning one of these over twenty or thirty times checking my quality, I realized that the three I have are for Left handed guitars only.  I will make a few right handed here today.  Please guys I'm out of work, not to beg, but you know that a wood back cover will look a hundred times better than black plastic!!!!  I will post pics of the finished right handed covers when I get done with them. 

Like I said I can do covers with other types of wood, cherry is what I have here at the moment.

Thanks again guys

Right Hand Version:

l_b50d62d60592436c96d85d33a1c6538c.jpg

l_8d47fb587c3a4c23a7e7e14181ec10b8.jpg

These are totally flush with the body, super smooth.  I took the time and a micrometer to make sure the mounting flange is as thick thick as the stock plastic cover.

I think $20-25 is a fair price. 

Comments?  Everybody's being awful quiet......

I think they look awesome. I'm not in the market for one, but there's a post on here asking for these very things so I'm sure they're going to be very popular. Good luck with them. 

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
How about a tremolo cover?

And what other woods are available?

Ok right now at this stitch in time all I have is cherry.  I am taking requests for wood types.  Tremolo covers are on the way, I need someone to lend me their tremolo cover to make a pattern from.  The way I do these it is best to work from an actual pattern rather than a sketch.

If you have a control cover that is a different shape than this standard shape and want a wood one I can do these as well.  All I need is a pattern, which is your cover.  Again PM me for details...

Wood requests

theklanch said:
Ok what kind of finish would you like?

I don't know. Do they need to be finished? Is it ok to just be plain wood?

I don't really care if they match my guitar - I actually think it would look better if it contrasted. My guitar is trans-red over mahogany - so something darker would be cool.

GoDrex said:
theklanch said:
Ok what kind of finish would you like?

I don't know. Do they need to be finished? Is it ok to just be plain wood?

I don't really care if they match my guitar - I actually think it would look better if it contrasted. My guitar is trans-red over mahogany - so something darker would be cool.
They don't NEED finished, but since they are wood, they could stain if something was spilled on them, so I do recommend finishing them.

I prefer not to get into trying to color match, so I can do tung oil finish if wanted, or unfinished if you want to color match it to your guitar.

GoDrex.....I can do a cherry cover for you with a tung oil finish, same wood as pictured.  Let me know...  Thanks for asking those questions, they helped me clear some other things up. 

Great idea!  The only things I have with rear covers at the moment are my Gibson, Schecter, and Ibanez bass though.  Too bad they're too thin for inlays.

I'll pass the good word along to my buddies.

Blue313 said:
Great idea!  The only things I have with rear covers at the moment are my Gibson, Schecter, and Ibanez bass though.  Too bad they're too thin for inlays.

I'll pass the good word along to my buddies.

Thank you!!!  I can make you wood back covers for your guitars if you are willing to send me the back cover(s).....

theklanch said:
Tremolo covers are on the way, I need someone to lend me their tremolo cover to make a pattern from.  The way I do these it is best to work from an actual pattern rather than a sketch.
How bout a trem cover for a Fender American Strat?  I have an extra, brand new, 3-ply one I could send you.  It should make a decent template and I don't even need it back.  Its the kind with the slot instead of the 6 holes.

edit:Truss rod covers wouldn't be a horrible idea either

Blue313 said:
theklanch said:
Tremolo covers are on the way, I need someone to lend me their tremolo cover to make a pattern from.  The way I do these it is best to work from an actual pattern rather than a sketch.
How bout a trem cover for a Fender American Strat?  I have an extra, brand new, 3-ply one I could send you.  It should make a decent template and I don't even need it back.  Its the kind with the slot instead of the 6 holes.

edit:Truss rod covers wouldn't be a horrible idea either

Hey buddy thanks, I will gladly make you one with the cover you send me.  I really appreciate it.  If you have any other covers you want done I will do them at the same time.  I am going to get some maple either tomorrow or the next day.  Any requests for wood.  I might get some mahogony also.  I am going to try to find some 1/4" thick solid maple for my guitar and for trem covers.  I will PM you my address.   Thanks again.  I will be able to do trem covers that are stratocaster shaped thanks to your help.....  :rock-on:

Truss rod covers are doable, but they scare the crap out of my thumbs.  They have to get really close to the spinning router bit making them.  I do these by hand.  I want to keep all of my hands and fingers as possible, truss rod covers don't stack the odds in my thumbs favor....

I can do pickguards too by the way...

I might be interested in a mahogany control cover and trem cover..  please post pics if you do up any mahogany. 

Neil Stryker X said:
I might be interested in a mahogany control cover and trem cover..  please post pics if you do up any mahogany. 

Neil how's it going?

Mahogony seems to be a popular wood, so I am going to source some mahogony stock to make a couple.  Keep checking back and I will post when I have some mahogony covers done.

BTW 3 Penna Dead shows this spring......  I think I am going to build a jerrycaster or two to take along to get my name out there...

Vol. Knob said:
You Have My Attention.

But how do they affect the sound?  Is there a tonal benefit?

:doh:  Really?  :doh:  didn't you know that the prettier the guitar the better it sounds....  Why do you think Alembic's sound so good?  No unfortunately I don't think these will help on the tone department. I don't know they might, but I'm not going to say they will improve they way your guitar plays and sounds by 64%.  I would need to hire scientists and experts to give such hard and fast numbers and I cannot get the bean counters in accounting to justify such an expenditure at this juncture of our business.  If I sell enough of these covers I will go ahead with the testing so we have definative proof confirming or disconfirming that suspicion. No, Vol, they are just to make the back of your warmoth as pretty as the front. 

Mahogony solid one piece of wood!!
l_38b25c657d5a42c59779820cc401810d.jpg

The back of the cover:
m_fe3a1a0a39924348b9b62b0989e5b079.jpg

Solid wood covers are much more labor intensive than the ply.  I started out making 4 and ended up with 2 and one of those two has a blemish.  But someone asked for Mahogony, here it is.  This one is "perfect"  the other one has a small chunk out of the top side, I haven't done the relief in the back so it can be right or left handed, I will wait till I get an order for it to cut the relief.  That is the one nice thing about solid wood is I can use either face unlike ply which has only one good face.

I can do a bunch of birch covers, I have a door I can sacrifice.  I also found some mahogony here, but it is 3/4" thick takes a lot for me to resaw it to thickness, but I do have enough for probably 20 mahogony covers.  Maple is still on the way....

This cover is $???PM?ME??? unfinished shipping is on me.

Hey dude, things are good now that I got my new guit...  played for about 3 hours last night, pure enjoyment.  Enjoy the Dead shows, I gotta save some money for Phish.. their coming to MA in June...  http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/phish-reveals-reunion-tour-details-1003928432.story
I sent you a PM about the control plate.

Thanks Neil, I just responded to your PM....  I appreciate the interest.  Enjoy those Phish shows buddy.  Glad to hear you got your guitar, good luck sleeping for the next few weeks!!!! 

Blue313 is sending me a tremolo cover so I will have wooden trem covers here shortly.....

Thanks again Neil

Back