Wizard not a wzard?

Z

ztevie

Hi!
I'm loking over my specs for a build...
I like thin necks, but when translating the inches of the necks to millimeter (I'm european) I find the description not really measure up? What Warmoth says is a standard thin is about 20,5mm at first fret, and the wizard is 18,7mm...
Ibanez wizard is 17 or in some cases 18. So the standard thin doesn't seem very thin to me, and the wizard is much more thick than the ibanez wizard.. Any reflections on this?

Anyway, I like thin necks but with slightly more meat, so I guess the Warmoth version of the wizard might be fine for me... THe standard thin just might be too thick, even if that would have been my 1st choice going by the name only...

Hm, what would happen? Not sure what you're after here, but i would probably not like it.
Since i like thinner necks, though slightly thicker than ibanez wizards, i mean...
You plan to send me a boat neck for free?

You also have to take into consideration that there is some hand sanding involved once the neck comes off of the CNC machine in order to remove tooling marks & such.  Tolerances can vary a few thousands of an inch.  The dimensions given are guidelines, but once final sanded, there's no way to predict the final precise measurement to be exact to millionths of an inch. 

Turning the lights off in the shop & leaving for the evening until the next morning can result in a couple of thousandths of an inch difference by morning time.

A standard thin is pretty thin, not anything compared to say a Jackson or a Iby wizard, but still pretty thin. So I'd say if Warmoths wizard is within a few mm, you're not going to be able to feel that much of a difference...

A few thousands of an inch is not very much, and i wouldn't feel a difference. But a mm or two is certainly a big difference. Too bad i have no possibility trying them out. 
I have a custom with 18/20mm at 1st/12th fret. It feels nice for me, so i guess the warmoth wizard would be ok.

ztevie said:
A few thousands of an inch is not very much, and i wouldn't feel a difference. But a mm or two is certainly a big difference. Too bad i have no possibility trying them out. 
I have a custom with 18/20mm at 1st/12th fret. It feels nice for me, so i guess the warmoth wizard would be ok.
True, but a mm is only .0396". And I doubt very seriously if you were blind folded and handed 2 necks one being 1 mm smaller than the other, would you be able to tell them apart..

why not just buy an unfinished neck and then if not comfortable sand it down a bit? I'd rather they send me a neck that's too thick than too thin.

True, could order unfinished. Problem is warranty. Here in north sweden we have extremely dry and cold winters paired with relatively warm summers, where humidity goes up 30-40%.
Thanks for all input anyway, guess i should play every guitar i can get my hands on, to build an opinion about some fatter necks.

a standard thin (to me) seems a lot like a Wizard II.  The real difference to me is that the neck is slightly larger (than a WII) near the body and slightly smaller at the nut.  I just ordered my 3rd, I'm sold.

i had an ibanez rg series with a thin wizard neck but it was a little too thin but fender strat necks were a bit to round and thick for me, but as it turns out warmoths standard thin is perfect for me. if that helps you at all idk

Yeah, stratplayer, something in between ibanez wizard and a normal strat would be kind of perfect probably. Might go for the standard thin?
If it aint my thing, i could always have it professionally adjusted. A few bucks more, but...

I'm a bit of fanatic for old Ibanez Wizards, the 17mm=1st fret versions. I met a guy who built a Warmoth and got their version Wizard profile so I was excited to play it. When I did, I noticed immediately that it was not the Wizards I know & love BUT, still nice & I would definitely order that option if I were getting a Warmoth replacement. 

Believe it or not, you CAN feel the difference of a few thousanths of an inch. You may not be able to see it, but you can feel it.

My ESP is .795" @ the first to .866" @ the 12th (20.2mm to 22mm), and I tell ya if it were ANY thicker, it would be too thick for me. The 17mm Ibanez Wizard is too thin for me. I like something in between, like .770" to .840" (19.5mm to 21.3mm) which Warmoth does not offer. I am considering buying a body from Warmoth and a neck from USACG, as they will cut any thickness I want...

Back