Wizard not a wzard?

I have both a wizard and a standard thin.  The wizard is noticably thinner.  It is very similar to the Charvel necks of the 80s...I hightly recommend it if you like thinner necks.

rounce55 said:
Do your hands cramp up when you play it?

no.  Never.

I also have a boat neck on a WARMOTH tele I built.  I like it too, but is much more to my likeing when strumming chords. 

For general everyday playing I prefer the WIZARD profile.  That combined with the SS frets make it very fast feeling.  It has never been umcomfortable.  My Charvel has a very similar neck that I have been playing since I was 16...(38 now :doh:)....maybe I am used to it....

You can also use you thumb to fret the 6th string on some odd chord progressions to.... :laughing7:

I do beleieve my next build will have a standard thin...it is going to either be a LP or LPS and the thin will offer a more standard feel without having all the Gibson bulk.  I ALso would not mind trying the Clapton profile...but I am afraid I would hate it or love it...not worth the risk on $300 piece of guitar!

Thanks, because it's the same for me. I feel like with the wizard contour i would love the thinness or hate it. I think I would risk this however.

Most of the tone and sustain will come from the neck wood variety and amount of wood rather than the body wood.  The Ibanez Wizard, although feeling fast and thin, is already at a disadvantage because it's so thin.  When I think of the Wizard, I think of playability and not so much tone.  Would you agree most Wizard players are more known for licks and effects rather than good clean "this is the natural tone of the guitar" kind of tone?  Again, these are opinions and subtle differences, but I think the Standard thin is the best compromise.  It keeps it somewhat thin but still maintains enough of the wood for a good tone to be from the instrument and not a multi-effects processor.

Back