Wiring Question...

T.L.

What is the proper gauge of wire (for optimum tone) to use between the output jack and volume pot?  The pickup wires are pretty small (22-gauge, I think). Should the wire to the output jack be a larger size?...

We are dealing with a very low current here...

22 gauge is plenty. Take a look at the wire in your pickups, it's 43AWG.

line6man said:

Yeah, I noticed that. I was just curious because the leads coming from the pickups are about 22 AWG, and the wires in my Strat look like about 18 AWG, especially those going to the output jack, so I was wondering if larger wire from the switch and from the jack is necessary or preferred...

T.L. said:
line6man said:

Yeah, I noticed that. I was just curious because the leads coming from the pickups are about 22 AWG, and the wires in my Strat look like about 18 AWG, especially those going to the output jack, so I was wondering if larger wire from the switch and from the jack is necessary or preferred...

As the old saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
We are dealing with a passive circuit where nothing is being amplified.
The reason for the thicker wire is probably for the durability...
43AWG is very delicate stuff, and that is why you don't wire your guitar with it, only the pickup.
Your guitar cable is probably a larger guage than the wiring in your guitar (or at least the sheath is thicker in diameter) so that it can be very durable and withstand abuse.

The wiring in the guitar may be thicker than the wire exiting the pickup, just because 22AWG can be a PITA to work with when you wire up. The sheath melts really easily, and it's very easy to accidentally cut thru when your stripping the ends.

22 gauge is just fine for this application.  Any resistance that the wire will have will be swamped out by the resistance/capacitance of your guitar cord, and the input impedance of the amp.

Cool, so basically, it sounds like the larger wire is only for ease of working with, and not related to tone or performance...

Back