Wiring help needed! Fender Jaguar / XII mashup

hoipolloi

Hi everyone - I'm currently working on my first build and have come up with a wiring idea to run some XII pickups through a 4 way rotary switch, strangle switch and an alternate tone pot to allow for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar style rhythm circuit but with only the single master volume control.

Here's the diagram I have come up with:

cNwuyhG.jpg

If you could let me know if this will work / what changes might need to be made that would be super appreciated  (especially in regards to grounding).

P.s. This is my first time doing any wiring or wiring diagrams so please excuse any ignorance on my part!

And here's a rough mockup of build in question if that helps:

qXUjvFQ.jpg

Will it work?

What is it meant to be able to do overall?
Can you define what the strangle switch is meant to do?

Looking at the volume pot for example - if this is drawn showing the view of the bottom of the pots as would be usual then it will not work as the red and blue wires are on the lug that should be grounded, and the lug that is grounded is where the red and blue wires should go.

There are also other issues like that I can see. But really you need to explain what each item is meant to do for each position and try to keep to consistent wire colours coming from the pickups.

Hey mate thanks for the reply. So I based the design off this diagram which is for a vintage style Fender XII (except this one is left handed):

kECnrV9.png

My thinking was then to put a 0.003 capacitor in the signal path before the volume pot (based off the Johnny Marr "Bright" switch design.

Finally I thought if I put a switch between the volume and tone pots I could switch between which one is being activated, the purpose being to be able to switch between bright Jaguar/Jazzmaster lead tones and the warmer Rhythm circuit tone these models have.

Does that all make sense?

The left handed diagram presumably is based on some left handed pots, which is why the volume and tones are backwards to what they should be.

Perhaps start by redrawing those elements and then it may be more readable to check the rest.

I don't have a rotary switch diagram but freeway has a 6 way switch that will get what you almost all you want (plus).  I have it on one of my guitars and I got a bonus series out of phase position that's really useful.

Ok this one is updated with pots around the right way (I think?) and some other changes based on peoples notes.

hqIpOpd.jpg

How's it look?

Closer - on both tone pots swap the lugs that the cap and depending on the tone pot that the blue and purple wires connect to.

Also where you are showing to shielding - that should be to ground. Shielding also needs to be grounded but I would not rely on it for example to take a signal to the output jack.

Back