Wired my first ever guitar today!

PitchShifter

I had a full day at home so sat down and had a go at wiring a guitar for the first time.
I've never done any electrical work beyond plugging in the DVD player.  I was expecting it to be a disaster, but after hammering away at it for the better part of the day, I was mightily impressed that a) it worked! b) it's the quietest guitar I own! I was standing in front of the computer monitor recording a simple sample for the mate I put it together for, and there's no interference or static at all. Clear as a bell!  I've still got a lot to learn, and my soldering technique needs to be improved, but for all those guys out there thinking about, put aside some time and do it!

Here's the obligatory pic. It's not a Warmoth, but it was the practice before I do my Warmoth ;->

PeaveyProfile.jpg

Wow, that is a classic looking guitar.  Very clean looks.  Sort of "country western" looking to me.  Very nice.

Thanks Guys!  It was a fun trial project before tackling the Warmoths.

=CB= said:
Wow, that is a classic looking guitar.  Very clean looks.  Sort of "country western" looking to me.  Very nice.

The idea was to go for a Pavement-brown corduroy pasiley shirt-lofi slacker look, but I can see the country in it!

I like it too... what color pg is that?

It was brown, but a very dark brown. I got some automotive spray ain Copper Bronze and shot it over the topt. What's interesting is as it scratches, the dark brown bleeds through for a cool effect.

Wow, that's a classy axe!
It would not work with chrome or black, the Gold is perfect! the contrast of the colors is balanced just right.
ACES!

But...What pickups are in it?

That's a really neat guitar. I love that pickguard! Oh, and congrats on the wiring; some day I hope to take the plunge myself...

MUYFUE said:
But...What pickups are in it?

Pickups are a Texas Locos (neck) and a Rolling Mill (bridge) from Iron Gear Pickups [http://www.irongear.co.uk/].

I found the guitar abandoned and rusting out at the back of a mate's shed and took it away with his permission as a practice project.  It was just a standard H-S-S type guitar with a white pickguard and chrome hardware.
I ripped out the parts, cleaned it up and mode some modifications.  I'm very impressed with the Iron Gear Pickups which I chose as an "affordable" option for a project guitar.

Congrats!  :eek:ccasion14:

BTW, if anyone is reading this and is not sure if they want to do their own wiring, PM me and I'll send you this great pdf I found about how to solder well.  It is a great resource and will put your mind at ease.

im about to do my first guitar wiring as well, and i have the same configuration as your build. what wiring diagram if any did you use?????

My gawd, it is like a Fender Lead II. Never heard of them before. As it's a Peavey, it has a dinky strat body, and a slimline headstock whcih enhances the illusion.

The wiring diagram I used was this one from Guitar electronics: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHS5L1101. I used a single 250K vol pot, and a 33 Cap on the tone.

Back