Will Warmoth send scrap pieces of wood with your order?

ChrisMC

I ordered my roasted flame maple neck (and Soloist body) a couple weeks ago (so hopefully I’ll see them in late May).

I’ve never so much as set a piece of sandpaper to or drilled a hole into a piece of roasted maple, and although I’ve worked with other hardwoods on many occasions (ash, oak, hard maple, mahogany), I’d REALLY like to at least tap a few practice pilot holes into a scrap piece of roasted maple, instead of my actual neck (well...my actual *guitar neck, not my actual neck meat), if given the opportunity.

Does anybody know if they would send you a small piece of scrap roasted maple with your order if you asked them to? Has anybody ever asked them to do that? I’m wondering if they would. It wouldn’t need to be very big, just something to get a little more familiar with how it behaves when drilling pilot holes, like a 4”x4” scrap or something.

If they won’t/don’t do that, does anyone have a suggestion on where to acquire a small piece of similar grade (like what Warmoth uses) roasted maple that I could practice on, on the cheap?

No one around here has ever asked for the scraps.  I suggest you give W a call and ask them.  Anything we would say would be just a guess.

I have asked, and it was a no. They either chip or burn it.

swarfrat said:
I have asked, and it was a no. They either chip or burn it.

Aw man. I figured that was probably the case...it seems wasteful or counterproductive or both though. Something that small can’t really be used for much, on a guitar anyway (maybe a custom inlay on a body that had a different type of wood on it or something? But...still...), but I’m sure they have their reasons. It seems like if someone wanted to get a few practice holes in before drilling into the real thing, that they’d ‘want’ to accommodate that; it might even reduce warranty issues, but again I’m sure they have their reasons. Alrighty then.

ChrisMC said:
Aw man. I figured that was probably the case...it seems wasteful or counterproductive or both though. Something that small can’t really be used for much, on a guitar anyway (maybe a custom inlay on a body that had a different type of wood on it or something? But...still...), but I’m sure they have their reasons. It seems like if someone wanted to get a few practice holes in before drilling into the real thing, that they’d ‘want’ to accommodate that; it might even reduce warranty issues, but again I’m sure they have their reasons. Alrighty then.

It doesn't get wasted. It gets picked over by a few select people who have uses for it. Some guys use it to turn pen casings, carve knife handles, or other small projects. However, we don't send scraps out.

Most times when things can't be done, it's because the logistics behind such a simple request are actually quite great. 

How does that scrap of wood get put with the right order? Is it hand delivered from Building 3 to Building 2 with a sticky note on it (hopefully doesn't fall off), since there is no SKU as it is an uninventoried item?
Where is it stored until the order is ready and made sure to be pulled/packed with the rest of the order?
Or is it kept with the body as it moves through all the departments, passed like a hot potato?
Will it fit in the body box and be packed in a way to not damage the body?
How much time is devoted to this process. Is it at the cost of 1 body going out a day?

The Aaron said:
It doesn't get wasted. It gets picked over by a few select people who have uses for it. Some guys use it to turn pen casings, carve knife handles, or other small projects. However, we don't send scraps out.

Hey Aaron! That’s good to know, thanks for responding. I dig the vids and the info, it’s been interesting and helpful! This is my first build from a clean slate/blank page, so I’ve been using this time while I’m waiting for my neck and body to arrive to absorb information like a sponge, and your vids have been a great resource!

Back