Will a Velocity fit a Telecaster case?

BrotherJack

Hi Guys,

Just looking into case options for my new Velocity.  It fits pretty sloppy in my generic Strat-ish case, and won't fit at all into my Les Paul-ish case, and I'm hoping to find something that fits a little more snug, and not the full suitcase sized, more like the contoured type (see pic).  I know that a Velocity does well in a EVH/Wulfgang case, but I was wondering if a Telecaster case might work - the Velocity has that longer upper horn, but the overall body is shorter, and anyway to get to the point - can one of you guys who has a form-fit telecster case and a velocity both plunk that thing in there and see how/if it fits (and let me know)?  :)

preferred case style - something in this neighborhood:
H86559000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I use an SKB 66PRO Strat/Tele case for my Velocity, and it fits it pretty good. However, it is the suitcase style you may not prefer...

71E07EbdfbL._SX466_.jpg

On the plus side, it's very sturdy while still being lightweight.

I have a snug-fitting case for my Tele. I don't have a VIP but if anything on it sticks further out than a pencil tracing of a Tele, it won't fit.

Hmm.. I have neither a tele tracing, nor a real tele to compare with.  Cagey - that start/tele case - I presume that being for an either-or, it's probably a bit looser on tele's than strats?

I think (rough eyeballing) that the shorter distance betwxit bridge and the rear of the guitar on a Velocity, as compared to a tele, would make up the difference for the inch or so that the upper horn sticks forward where a tele does not.  But since I'm way back up in mail-order-only country, I'm hoping to know for sures before I have one shipped.

Anyone else got any thoughts? (or heck, do you have a tele and a velocity side by side, if you set both on the floor resting on the strap button, does the velocity look ilke it fits inside the same footprint as the tele?

Thanks,

I have both a Tele and a Velocity. I don't have a fitted Tele case - just suitcase types and Mono bags - but I measured both from strap button to strap button, and they're both about the same measurement (no more than a half inch or so difference by the looks of it). Also, the distance across the lower bout of both is about the same - the Tele is maybe a half inch wider. So it looks like the Tele case would work.

BrotherJack said:
Cagey - that start/tele case - I presume that being for an either-or, it's probably a bit looser on tele's than strats?

Well, there's room allowed for the Strat's longer horns, of course, but the width at the waist and lower bout is pretty much spot-on. The Velocity's lower bout fits into the lower bout relief area of the case interior quite nicely, so you wouldn't have to worry about it shifting from side-to-side or end-to-end. I'm happy with the fit and unconcerned about the thing jostling around during transport. This is in contrast to some of my other Strat/Tele-sized "suitcase" style cases where the instrument is kinda swimming in the thing.

Back