Will a Floyd Rose nut fit on a standard strat neck???

I am doing my first guitar building project. I am very excited and also very nervous. Would an Original Floyd rose nut fit on a standard strat neck without  modification? I know that I need to make the width of the neck and nut match up, but would the nut even fit?

Thanks,
mypreciousguitar
:guitarplayer2: :party07: :guitaristgif:

No problems about the Locking nut... You can even see that Warmoth offers it, usually what can be trouble they doesn't offer... But a addend: It's truth if it's a neck build since the beggining to have locking nut, if it's a neck to be changed to have the nut, is something that Warmoth probably don't offer (have never ask) and kinda pain in the ass...

mypreciousguitar said:
Would an Original Floyd rose nut fit on a standard strat neck without  modification?

Short answer: No. Long answer: When you say, "standard strat neck", do you mean a neck that has just a slot for a standard plastic/bone/tusq/corian/graphite nut? If that's the case, then your neck WILL need to be modified to accommodate a Floyd Rose-style locking nut. The modification includes the drilling of two mounting holes through the back of the neck and the making of a "shelf" for the nut. Warmoth has some great info about this on their site. Click on the link below.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=stringnut#lock

If, for your first guitar building project, you're planning on having the neck custom-made by Warmoth, they can do the Floyd Rose locking nut prep for you at their factory. If, on the other hand, you're planning on using an already existing neck, I would recommend that you take it to a very experienced guitar repair technician or luthier to have the modification done. Don't try to do it yourself.

Oh, one more thing. Welcome to the forum.

Back