Wilkinson Vs-100 - ran out of adjustment on low E

Update:

About an hour ago I checked the relief again it it was slightly more than .010" so I depressed the wang bar to release string tension and with the other had tightened the side adjust a little more than 1/8 or a turn.

Checked the tuning to be ok ... rechecked the relief and it's so close to .010" that I really can't see enough adjust any further.
---
Checking intonations now, and needed to move the low E saddle forward about 2 turns of the saddle adjustment screw so I'm out of the woods.

Thanks for taking about this everyone. It's always educational and you always push me to observe things in ways I haven't thought of.
Much appreciated!

Cagey said:
Have you tried a different tuner? Maybe the VS-1 is lying to you.

9d132afa0dd9ec36f621bb5d8de0135a.jpg

15 meters... That ain't right! That's inside the room! (looks up... AAAAAHH!!)

ROFL

Well, the VS-1 sees differences that my Boss TU-10 can't even dream about so ..... :)

Bwaha. I'm sorry - I thought you were Kiwi. In that case: The calculator I linked says the 6th string should need about 0.274" of compensation, so add that to 25.5" for 25.274" nut to bridge on the 6th string. I have graphtech ghost saddles as well and didn't notice anything.

Is the saddle screw itself perhaps too short?

swarfrat said:
Bwaha. I'm sorry - I thought you were Kiwi. In that case: The calculator I linked says the 6th string should need about 0.274" of compensation, so add that to 25.5" for 25.274" nut to bridge on the 6th string. I have graphtech ghost saddles as well and didn't notice anything.

Is the saddle screw itself perhaps too short?

I went back to the stock Wilkinson saddles a while back.
The saddle screw is plenty long enough to lock the saddle against the post.

Anyway ... I'm out of the woods. Needed to move the low E forward to reach intonation after getting the relief set very close to .010"

Thanks for helping!

Steve_Karl said:
Well, the VS-1 sees differences that my Boss TU-10 can't even dream about so ..... :)

No doubt. But, sometimes it's good to check your instruments, even if only against each other. That's why with high-end calipers, micrometers, precision scales, etc. they sometimes include some standards in the carrying case. It's not enough to see 0, you want it read 1.000" when you measure something guaranteed to be 1" long.

I had trouble years ago using the tuner on my AxeFx to set intonation. Supposedly super accurate, but when I was done, I didn't see the typical stagger pattern you see on the saddles. Turned out that tuner was too sensitive to harmonics or something, so it was possible for it to read wrong. Firmware update settled it down.

Back