Wilkinson tremolo saddles - Need setup info

ventolino

Hi, i'm almost done with my project, but need some help.
I installed wilkinson tremolo flat on body and, in order to have right string height, i had to raise saddles (obvious) but at a point that they're very high over tremolo plate.
Instructions says that i need to lock saddle screw but saddles are very angled and intonation setting is a little difficult because when i open the lock screw the sadlle raise the bottom and change string tune.
I have this situation:

WilkinsonVS100Actual.jpg

I also found a site suggesting to set saddles parallel to tremolo plate.
In this situation saddles will be very high and not locked but intonation setting will be easier.
Alternative setting:

WilkinsonVS100Parallel.jpg

Please help me find right setting, thanks.  :help:

Dude - you gotsa raise the big bolts/anchors on the sides first.  Then fine-tune with the saddles.  Put them all the way down and then raise the bolts, then adjust the arc with the saddles.

The neck is sitting too high in the pocket.  If you sand down the neck pocket, or the back of the neck a little it will allow you to have the strings lower without having to have your bridge saddles super high.

I think in this case a photograph might be a little more useful than the diagrams. Is the goal to have the bridge flat agaist the body so you cannot bend upwards in pitch?

Brian

AWWWW I love y'all right back  :icon_biggrin:
for a change people agree with me agreeing with others!

I respectfully disagree. :party07: :guitarplayer2: :doh: :headbang1: :redflag: :rock-on: :party07: :cool01: :kewlpics: :party07: :party07: :party07: :kewlpics: :rock-on: :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:

spauldingrules said:
Dude - you gotsa raise the big bolts/anchors on the sides first.  Then fine-tune with the saddles.  Put them all the way down and then raise the bolts, then adjust the arc with the saddles.

Spaulding, i know how to set studs, but i'd like to mantain tremolo plate touching body!  :toothy11:

taez555 said:
The neck is sitting too high in the pocket.  If you sand down the neck pocket, or the back of the neck a little it will allow you to have the strings lower without having to have your bridge saddles super high.

Ok, this can resolve.

bpmorton777 said:
I think in this case a photograph might be a little more useful than the diagrams. Is the goal to have the bridge flat agaist the body so you cannot bend upwards in pitch?
Brian

I'll post a picture.
I know i can't bend upwards (i'd love to have this feature) but the goal to have the bridge flat is that if a string break others stay in tune, double stop bendings (is this right?) can't go out of tune and maybe a little more sustain due to more transfer of string vibration. For my tastes i think there're more advantages than disadvantages. 

BTW i think I'll also try it floating, as suggested by Spaulding and M4rko, then i'll decide for the best.

This is a great forum, thanks for your support!  :hello2: 

You can still have the back of the bridge touching the body.  If it's perfectly flat it can't go up or down!  It's not meant to be that way - I hate to imagine how hard it would be to keep in tune with those little screws completely extended, not to mention the effect on the sound.

I have 3 wilks in 3 guitars, and I really like them.  Trust me on this.  Mine are all set for down only.

spauldingrules said:
You can still have the back of the bridge touching the body.  If it's perfectly flat it can't go up or down!  It's not meant to be that way - I hate to imagine how hard it would be to keep in tune with those little screws completely extended, not to mention the effect on the sound.

Spaulding, this is a great idea! Simply i havent' thought about this setting.

spauldingrules said:
I have 3 wilks in 3 guitars, and I really like them.  Trust me on this.  Mine are all set for down only.

So, if i understand, you have saddles flat (adapted to neck radius) on tremolo plate and tremolo tilted backwards touching body, am i right?
Can you post a pic to see your setting?

Thanks.

That's exactly right.  That's how my three are.  Here's one I just completed:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2622.0

Also, the bridge might rest against the wood in the inside of the bridge route as the springs pull it tight, which is ok too.

http://evhgear.com/frankenstein/

He doesn't need it anymore, but he shoved a quarter under there so the back of the bridge would hold steady and not allow him to raise the pitch - down only.

Back