Wilkinson bridge

Saying Wilkinson bridge is a little vague but the 510 bridge on Warmoth has a stud spacing of 82mm (according to Warmoth)

This wrap around bridge from Stewmac gives a stud spacing of 82.5mm (or 3 1/4") http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_Guitar_Bridges/Wilkinson_Gotoh_Adjustable_Bridge_Tailpiece.html

I looked at a Schaller 1 piece bridge on stewmac and it was also 82.55mm.

The wrap around bridge at Guitar Fetish say 84mm but they also say it's 3 1/4" which is 82.5mm

more specific

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VS-100N_Tremolo.html this

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product=ev510t-bs with this

Warmoth sets the Wilkinson VS-100N posts at 55.9mm center to center, while the Gotoh EV510T posts are spec'd at 56mm center to center, so virtually the same given 1 post sits on a knife edge on both bridges.

I've wondered about that, too. I think that's true. I know I've seen more than one style of bridge called a "510", and I think I've even seen some tuners referred to that way, but it hasn't been often enough for me to not just discount it to typographical errors. For as complex as it is, Gotoh's catalog and website leave a lot to be desired.

Yeah, another case of "let's tease the Americans with limited availability of the cool stuff".

let's tease the Americans with limited availability of the cool stuff

Guys you have no idea how lucky you are in the States. For a start, Warmoth is there. I buy a neck - add $60 in shipping and then £60 (~$94) in customs to that price thank you very much.

Fender is there. Gibson is there. Seymour Duncan is there. DiMarzio is there. All this stuff, you're getting it way, way cheaper than we are. It's actually cheaper for me to buy SD pickups on eBay from the States and ship them over, than it is to order one from a UK-based online retailer.

Almost every single part for my current build has had to come over from the US. The one "big" thing that came from Europe was the super-super-switch, from Germany. That was about £25. The only other things I managed to source locally were things like a volume knob, and some of the electronics supplies (wires, resistors, stripboard but NOT pots). And it's not like I live in the sticks - I'm in London. There are plenty of guitar shops. They're just all extortionate.

Almost all of my supplies come with extra shipping and customs because they come from Stew-Mac.

[Also, my house is probably smaller than yours (two bedrooms, a lounge, a kitchen and a bathroom) and it cost the equivalent of $470,000.]

Appreciate it.

Jumble Jumble said:
let's tease the Americans with limited availability of the cool stuff

Guys you have no idea how lucky you are in the States. For a start, Warmoth is there. I buy a neck - add $60 in shipping and then £60 (~$94) in customs to that price thank you very much.

Fender is there. Gibson is there. Seymour Duncan is there. DiMarzio is there. All this stuff, you're getting it way, way cheaper than we are. It's actually cheaper for me to buy SD pickups on eBay from the States and ship them over, than it is to order one from a UK-based online retailer.

Almost every single part for my current build has had to come over from the US. The one "big" thing that came from Europe was the super-super-switch, from Germany. That was about £25. The only other things I managed to source locally were things like a volume knob, and some of the electronics supplies (wires, resistors, stripboard but NOT pots). And it's not like I live in the sticks - I'm in London. There are plenty of guitar shops. They're just all extortionate.

Almost all of my supplies come with extra shipping and customs because they come from Stew-Mac.

[Also, my house is probably smaller than yours (two bedrooms, a lounge, a kitchen and a bathroom) and it cost the equivalent of $470,000.]

Appreciate it.

+1 I agree! But, if you think it is tough in London, come see me in Japan! I can buy just about anything and have it shipped to me from the US for cheaper than I can get it locally. That includes Gotoh parts made in Japan.

It also amazes me how many people don't make the causality connection and continue to support systems that preclude that level of progress in their own country!  :dontknow:

I've been seeing that for years with computer parts. I have friends in Japan and Thailand both who will occasionally ask for a favor to buy something and ship it to them because they can't buy it locally as cheap as they can from here, even though the stuff is made locally. You would think that if a motherboard costs $100 here, it should only cost about $20 in Thailand, but no. More like $200.

Countries cry about trade imbalances all the time, then impose taxes, tarriffs and regulations that force people to buy externally or otherwise do business illogically. Then, when tax revenues go down, they raise the taxes which forces people to move out of that jurisdiction or otherwise arrange things so they can avoid the taxes, which results in a reduction in revenues. It's a snake eating its tail.

Civil servants in general aren't very bright. If they were, they'd be in private enterprise. Public service is largely for those who are otherwise unemployable. Most of government is a counter-productive make-work project.

Ddbltrbl said:
But, if you think it is tough in London, come see me in Japan! I can buy just about anything and have it shipped to me from the US for cheaper than I can get it locally. That includes Gotoh parts made in Japan.
Same down here  :icon_thumright:

Except for .... Hard cases
                .... GK3 Kit $150 here & around $290 US

:icon_scratch:

Oh yeah ......  Plectrums  :icon_biggrin:

I just meant how difficult it is to get the cool Gotoh and Schaller stuff more than anything. Sorry guys :headbang1:

No need to apologize. I think we all suffer from time to time over the issue. I know myself there's a LOT of stuff I really like from Schaller that I just can't buy for love or money. Even if I was willing to pay the taxes, shipping, export fees or whatever other punishments various governments would like to inflict, a great deal of that stuff isn't in stock anywhere. I sometimes wonder if Schaller simply has duplicitous management and an incredibly talented ad copy department that Photoshops a ton of things that have never been built, just to look like they've got the breadth and depth of offerings that'll intimidate their competitors into giving up.

pabloman said:
Isn't 510 a product line not just a specific part?

Yes, it is a line. The 2 you see the most are a TOM/stoptail conventional style bridge combo, and the one Warmoth sells is referred to as the 510 wraparound. I think the other one I've seen was a tele style. I think Cagey is correct also in that there are tuners in that line as well.

There is a TOM style & the wrap-around (both zinc & plastic saddles available) and then multiple tremolo style units similar to the Wilkinson (various flavors of the EV510s and the 510Ts). Don't believe there are any Tele style bridges in the 510 series.

And there are SG510 tuners (similar to the SG38s that Warmoth sells) and the SE510 which are open style tuners and the SD510s which are similar to the classic Fender tuners.

Ddbltrbl said:
There is a TOM style & the wrap-around (both zinc & plastic saddles available) and then multiple tremolo style units similar to the Wilkinson (various flavors of the EV510s and the 510Ts). Don't believe there are any Tele style bridges in the 510 series.
You're right, I went back where I thought I saw it and it was one of the trems, so TOM,wraparound, and trems all under the 510 code.

Back