Wife came home with TWO of these...made me laugh.

vikingred

Wife goes to garage sales.  Came home yesterday with TWO of these (ten dallah each):

UerauM7.jpg

I couldn't help but laugh.  Remember the "Esteban" infomercials?  Hahahaa!!

But then I started looking at them, and popped them open (note the guitar pick for size reference):

yryhQDk.jpg

Yucky solid state nastiness:

a5FEuAA.jpg

Kinda cool lookin' top though, with chicken head knobs:

TcdNX7m.jpg

Yikes, MADE IN CHINA:

n4l6LRm.jpg

But, then I got to thinking.  I wonder if I could find one of those little tube amp kits with a chassis that fits these on Ebay.  The lil cabinets and "tolex" cover and front grill are in good shape.  I could make two lil identical tube amps and do some stereo stuff with this jam-up pro iphone thing. 

The measurements of the inside of the cabinet are: 10 3/4" wide x 7 1/2" tall.  Wonder if there's a kit/chassis that would fit that for cheap?  Like this one.

Update: Just checked dimensions of the existing chassis and they are: 7 1/2" x 4 3/8" x 2" and the standard 5F1 Champ dimensions are:  8 11/16" x 4" x 2 9/16" so...I'd probably end up cutting on the wood (cough) fiber-board MDF.  Prolly wouldn't work out, but I'm gonna keep looking.  Let me know if anyone sees  or knows of a chassis that comes close to those specs.

That's hilarious.  at $10 each you can go wrong if you throw away everything inside - speaker included!!

I'd suggest a champ circuit for that guy  :headbang:

Mayfly said:
That's hilarious.  at $10 each you can go wrong if you throw away everything inside - speaker included!!

I'd suggest a champ circuit for that guy  :headbang:

Yah, I was thinking Fender Champ, just wonder if the chassis would fit.  Lot of those Ebay sellers don't include the dimensions of the chassis but I'm gonna research it.  It think it would be a great little "re-purposing" project.  But yeah, gut them both!  Including speakers!  heh.

Too small to do a Champ 5F1.  Just no way.  Anything (tube based) smaller than a 5F1 out there?

But I did find this speaker, which would be perfect (6" Jensen):

p-a-c6v_off.png

Bagman67 said:
Zvex nano?

http://www.zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

Yeah I saw that, but I don't think it would work either.  Tried to find a price on the thing, too as I believe it's prolly high priced.

Orange Micro Terror?  The dimensions ain't perfect, but you might be able to fiddle with things.  At $149 apiece, not a bank-breaker.

Tech SpecsType[/size][/color]
Hybrid
Number of Channels
Total Power
20W
EQ
1-band
Number of Tubes
Preamp Tubes
1 x 12AX7
Inputs
1 x TS, 1 x 1/8"
Outputs
1 x TS (Speaker), 1 x TS (Headphones)
Height
5.3"
Width
6.49"
Depth
3.6"
Weight
1.87 lbs.

The Zvex Nano is $499.

While it's a cute idea, if they're actually selling any of those things, some of us may be in the wrong business.

Might want to look to used Pignose, Gorilla or Roland MicroCube amps. You can probably fit the guts of any of those into one of those cabs with room to spare without breaking the bank to do it.

Another idea - put that speaker and a cheap 50W class D amp in there.  Then rig up stereo output from the modelling stomp box of your choice (like a sans amp).  A nice little killer stereo rig!

Cagey said:
The Zvex Nano

is $499. While it's a cute idea, if they're actually selling any of those things, some of us may be in the wrong business.
You Sir, are in the "Wrong Business" The hipsters LOVE em some Zvex stuff, and the locals around Boston can't keep em on the shelf, and with a fresh crop of fat collegiate wallets every year...Well the cycle continues until the "Next Big thing" Comes along, Which these days is apparently wearing three piece suits whilst ridding motor bikes around Brooklyn.

Mayfly said:
Another idea - put that speaker and a cheap 50W class D amp in there.  Then rig up stereo output from the modelling stomp box of your choice (like a sans amp).  A nice little killer stereo rig!

Now THAT is an idea.  And very cheap but cool.  The speaker is like $34.  About $30 for the amp and misc parts, and we're in biz.  I think I may do this.  But you know I gotta get rid of the "ESTEBAN" logo on the front!

sixstringsamurai said:
Cagey said:
The Zvex Nano

is $499. While it's a cute idea, if they're actually selling any of those things, some of us may be in the wrong business.
You Sir, are in the "Wrong Business" The hipsters LOVE em some Zvex stuff, and the locals around Boston can't keep em on the shelf, and with a fresh crop of fat collegiate wallets every year...Well the cycle continues until the "Next Big thing" Comes along, Which these days is apparently wearing three piece suits whilst ridding motor bikes around Brooklyn.

I have no experience with Zvex.  But, I can say that I just invested in a Swart STR and it's as sweet as they come.  I'm not a hipster, though.  I'm a bad MF, and I don't ride "motor bikes".  I seek and invest in TONE.

Mayfly said:
No! the Esteban logo has some serious street cred!

I was thinking of pilfering a "Fender" plastic logo.  Heh.  Best is prolly leave it blank or put a skull on it or something.  :guitarplayer2:

Mayfly said:
Hey vikingred,  If you're serious about the class D thing, I've got a couple of these sitting around:

https://www.parts-express.com/yuan-jing-tpa3116-class-d-amplifier-board-50w-50w--320-6554

They are stereo, 50W a side.  Well, when I measure them they are more like 30W... but I digress.  Sadly you can't bridge the outputs, but you could always just leave the input of one side wired to ground and not worry about it.

Do you want them?

They look good, I was just looking around on ebay.  Gotta jump into work till tonight, will holler back at you.  Thanks!

Dude - your wife is incredible thoughtful.  :toothy11:

Now!  Let's talk about how easy it would be to build a tweed champ into one of those puppies.  :eek:ccasion14:

Back