Why, what's the point....

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
I know this has been discussed sort of before, but would someone pleeeeeeease exsplain to me what's the friggin' point..It is so unbelievebly unessesary to have an 8 string guitar. A 12 string I can understand because of the octave, but this is just retarded....
SC-608B.jpg

Not that I would want one, but I think of it this way:  It is another way to make a baritone guitar.

They're still trying to catch up with Mick Abrahams... :guitaristgif:

"And, I've got a Gibson, but I don't think I've ever touched that extra fret."
Rory Gallagher

I'm more tickled by the dorks that think that Class A and A/B are a rating system for amps, so Class A must be better!!!

I'm thinking about building an amp that's Class A-Plus, just to watch what would happen on the Gear Page.

RLW said:

Rory Gallagher

I'm more tickled by the dorks that think that Class A and A/B are a rating system for amps, so Class A must be better!!!

I'm thinking about building an amp that's Class A-Plus, just to watch what would happen on the Gear Page.

I do occasionally use the 24th fret on my Jacksons.

DocNrock said:
Not that I would want one, but I think of it this way:  It is another way to make a baritone guitar.
I understand the baritone, but geeeze....8 strings..... :doh:...I just don't get it....it just doesn't compute, I guess I'm just an old skool kinda guy.... :dontknow:

DocNrock said:
RLW said:

Rory Gallagher

Once in a while, yes....Just to make sure I get my monies worth of all the frets........ :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:
I understand the baritone, but geeeze....8 strings..... :doh:...I just don't get it....it just doesn't compute, I guess I'm just an old skool kinda guy.... :dontknow:

I guess I am too... I had to look very closely at my screen to read that line. 

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:

I guess I am too... I had to look very closely at my screen to read that line. 

It was me muttering to myself as if i were walking away........ :glasses9:

I think the only time I ever really used the 24th fret on the PRS CE24 that I used to have was when I was learning to play one of the Trans Siberian Orchestra songs.  Other than that I never really got down that far.  I originally wanted it just for the extra space away from the body, but I don't even know now if that was a correct assumption.  I never really thought to look it up. 

Lucky #7 said:
I think the only time I ever really used the 24th fret on the PRS CE24 that I used to have was when I was learning to play one of the Trans Siberian Orchestra songs.  Other than that I never really got down that far.  I originally wanted it just for the extra space away from the body, but I don't even know now if that was a correct assumption.  I never really thought to look it up. 

Alas the lonely unappreciated 24th fret....... :sad1:

8-string guitars aren't a new idea or anything.  There have been Classical 8-string guitars played by some very talented guys over the years.

DocNrock said:
RLW said:

Rory Gallagher

I hardly ever go over 17....  the 17th fret that is.    gets crampy up there.    Is that a low G string on the 8 string guitar?  Seems like bass player territory to me...  not sure I feel comfortable venturing that low, not while there's any bass players around.

My money is made within the first 8 frets of a four string bass. It hardly limits one, however, to the rest of the neck or additional/fewer strings. At some point a guitar or bass becomes a different instrument (in my mind) when it's altered by double, triple, and more the number of strings, or radical fret, neck, body work, etc. That said - folks have been expanding on the standards from day #1.  It's all good...

8 strings seems a little too much for me to be comfortable with, but I'm sure you get nice sounds out of it

i dont have a 24th fret
but i can tell you without a doubt that i'd definitely use it a lot
that last complete octave would completely round out the possbilities for a solo
especially in the key of E

is it necesarry?
certainly not
am I gonna get a neck with 24?
certainly not
is it cool to play all over the neck?
certainly yes

:guitaristgif:
i'm going back to practicing

I'm a huge 7 string proponent, and I use all 24 frets, but I think my hands would have difficulty adapting to 8, & I think at some point you need to allow aural space to the bass player.
Just my own opinion though.

Back