Why is the Les Paul switch labeled "Rhythm" and "Treble"?

CrackedPepper

And why does the switch move perpendicular to the neck instead of (inline) up for the neck pickup and down for the bridge?  

The switch: ergonomy. The hand/arm moves up and down easier than forward and backward over that part of the guitar (try it!).

Treble/rhythm: not really sure, but the bridge pickup is treblier.

kbomån said:
The switch: ergonomy. The hand/arm moves up and down easier than forward and backward over that part of the guitar (try it!).

Treble/rhythm: not really sure, but the bridge pickup is treblier.

I've pondered those exact issues since last century!

All toggles I have, have the switch moving parallel to the lines of the neck, not up & down. I have found in fast rhythm movements my hand may come into contact with the toggle and having it move sideways instead of up & vertical is a little insurance against an accidental pickup change. On Jazzmasters, I find it imperative to have the toggle movement going sideways ( I think that's the way Fender originally did that, too) as it can get in the road when playing.

As for the terms used by Gibson on the LP switch selector, I'm guessing that maybe that was what Les Paul himself might have coined those positions as, and they have stuck with it since. I personally use neck & bridge - in reference to where the pickups are located, not what they are used for ("Rhythm") or their sound character ("Treble").

And in modern times, a solo will often sound fuller if played on the neck pickup, and chords will sound better if played on the bridge pickup (assuming you get your volumes adjusted). I guess this is just another one of those things that proves old people are stupid. If you want to see the world improve, all you gotta do is wait for the (stupid) old people to die off so the (smart) young ones can take over.

(I've been waiting 53 years....) :blob7: (hmmm, they're still there....)

stubhead said:
And in modern times, a solo will often sound fuller if played on the neck pickup, and chords will sound better if played on the bridge pickup (assuming you get your volumes adjusted). I guess this is just another one of those things that proves old people are stupid. If you want to see the world improve, all you gotta do is wait for the (stupid) old people to die off so the (smart) young ones can take over.

(I've been waiting 53 years....) :blob7: (hmmm, they're still there....)

Traditions take longer to change..... it's kinda 'traditional' for Gibson to misname the switch positions. I guess old Les Paul himself (may he rest in peace) just thought the neck position was for jazz chord vamping and the bridge position offered a more treblier position.....

I use the bridge position for a lot of rhythm work and the misnaming has thrown me for years, like, I was thinking: "Am I some sort of retard that can't get these rhythm sounds happening in the neck position?" :tard:

To my ears a lot of guitars sounded too full doing rhythm work (even muddy) on a large number of songs, and particularly so with regular humbuckers.

Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
What should it say?

Funny though, my dad refers to pickups not as neck or bridge but as rhythm and lead.

Yeah I think that's the full context of the positions as the playing style commands, but they mix it up with the tone style by saying the "lead" pickup is the "treble" pickup!  :icon_scratch:

But now we tend to use the bridge pickup more for a lot of rhythm work, the more mellow settings for the neck position tend to be only useful in older styled music like what was played by Les in those days. It just gets plain confusing to a newbie....

Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
What should it say?

"Wee", "Not so wee", and "Friggin' huge!"

Might have to add a battery and such...

CrackedPepper said:
I don't think its real - I saw it on a LP forum.  Sorry didn't mean to tease you  :dontknow:
Dayum! Kinda hoping there'd be some comedian in the music parts biz who could do this...a chrome one with black lettering would look great on the Jazzmonster. It's screaming for a bit of kitsch.  :tard:

Mr. R6 has a little CNC machine he uses to make custom neck attachment plates. I gotta think he could make switch bezels.

Back