Why is the Les Paul switch labeled "Rhythm" and "Treble"?

CrackedPepper said:
Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
What should it say?

IMO It shouldn't say anything - I personally think the rings look cheesy.   :dontknow:

Agreed. Didn't put one on my LPS, even though, like, ALL my friends totally wanted me too. I'm an individual.

Also the switch goes side to side, not up and down.  :icon_thumright:

This guitar plays BOTH kinds of music. And considering the tones you'd get (esp with p90s), it makes sense.

Attachments

• CW.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 301
CrackedPepper said:
And why does the switch move perpendicular to the neck instead of (inline) up for the neck pickup and down for the bridge?  

I turned mine, both the washer with words, and the switch itself to inline, but not because arm movement blah blah, but because I would play and get crazy, and hit it and mess myself up as it were. Of course that was 10 years ago....  :icon_biggrin:

whitebison66 said:
This guitar plays BOTH kinds of music. And considering the tones you'd get (esp with p90s), it makes sense.

Oh My God I Need This!

When playing Clean (no overdrive distortion), rhythm sounds best on the neck pickup (or combination of neck & bridge).

"Treble" is self explanatory, as the bridge pickup produces more high frequencies and less of the low frequencies.

Lead can sound good on either pickup, depending on whether you want a fat Lead tone, or a more cutting Lead tone.

When playing rhythm with overdrive distortion, it usually sounds best on the bridge pickup (more articulate, less muddy), but back when the Les Paul was first made, no one played distorted. It was Clean only.

CrackedPepper said:
How about this?

index.php

That has the same issue, Bitch and Moan settings need to be reversed on that....

There's a fella who builds (used to build?) some totally awesome artistic tele-shaped guitars in Tucson, under the name Girl Brand.  His pickup selector washers always have something to do with the overall theme of the guitar:

On a 50's-era Marilyn Monroe pinup-themed guitar, "Sex/Death"

On a an angel-themed guitar, "Wisdom/Folly."

On a rodeo cowgirl themed guitar, "Rootin'/Tootin'"

Hawaiian hula girl with volcano in the background:  "Smolder/Erupt."

You get the point.

Smart guy, beautiful artist.

http://girlbrand.com.

before this week i had never heard anyone refer to the bridge pickup as the treble pickup.  then in two different youtube clips they said it.

Saw some on another site but decided not to post to keep from stealing their bandwidth:

Hard/Soft
Loose/Tight
Mild/Wild
Dry/Wet

and another on a different site:

fate/chance

DeathByBagMaxFly said:
There's a fella who builds (used to build?) some totally awesome artistic tele-shaped guitars in Tucson, under the name Girl Brand.  His pickup selector washers always have something to do with the overall theme of the guitar:

On a 50's-era Marilyn Monroe pinup-themed guitar, "Sex/Death"

On a an angel-themed guitar, "Wisdom/Folly."

On a rodeo cowgirl themed guitar, "Rootin'/Tootin'"

Hawaiian hula girl with volcano in the background:  "Smolder/Erupt."

You get the point.

Smart guy, beautiful artist.

http://girlbrand.com.

I'm going to steal at least one idea from that site; sucks that a lot of the links to guitars are broken...

Those are neat.  Some of my ideas would be:

Salt - Pepper
Community Chest - Chance
Chocolate - Vanilla
Peanut Butter - Jelly
Ebony - Ivory
Aniston - Jolie
Roth - Hagar
Ford - Chevy
White - Wheat
Coke - Pepsi

Death by CrackedPepper Uber infested with Dangerous Mayflies said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom Uber-Dangerous said:

Aniston - Jolie

Should be:

Jolie - Aniston  :icon_biggrin:

I would get into serious trouble with those settings, I'd always go for Aniston!  :icon_thumright:

WTFisaUberschall? (Aussie Pete) said:
Death by CrackedPepper Uber infested with Dangerous Mayflies said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom Uber-Dangerous said:

Aniston - Jolie

Should be:

Jolie - Aniston  :icon_biggrin:

I would get into serious trouble with those settings, I'd always go for Aniston!  :icon_thumright:

I'm not gonna lie to you, Aniston sounds to me like a standard Tele neck pickup, or the middle position on a Strat - there's probably something worthwhile going on there, but nothing I can relate to.  Jolie seems like a hot tele bridge pup straight into a totally dimed AC30 - it'll take your A-game, but it's worth every scary twist and turn along the way. And it'll still take all you have to keep it from overpowering you.

Just my opinion, of course.

Back