Why don't many famous musicians use custom-made guitars?

I am often surprised what a company will do to please a musician.  I went to high school with Nick Catanese (aka Evil twin from black label society) and from what I understand Washburn bent over backward to make his signature line, building it EXACTLY the way he wanted...

dmraco said:
I am often surprised what a company will do to please a musician.  I went to high school with Nick Catanese (aka Evil twin from black label society) and from what I understand Washburn bent over backward to make his signature line, building it EXACTLY the way he wanted...
WOW!
Still in touch? Big BLS fan here!

I am not sure of the logevity of BLS, sad...I too am a fan.  Nick is playing in a band called Speed X too.  We were in bands together in High school and MY drummer from Grade School was in his 1st band High Voltage.  I have their Cd "edge of the World."  It is pretty good.

It is good to see Nick actually "making it."  We all dream of being a rock star.  Kinda makes you feel good. :party07: :rock-on: :guitarplayer2: :headbang1:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
NonsenseTele said:
What the Concert for George verstion :)
I think so.  It was after George's death, a tribute concert.

I meaned WATCH :doh: The said Korean boy covered the McCartney Ukulele in that song on this show

dmraco said:
I am not sure of the logevity of BLS, sad...I too am a fan. 

Sad but not 100% didn't like that much the albuns after the "TBH" album, the solos of Zakk became the same on all songs (not kidding at all) and the songs got a really poor, me and my friends think it's because he gets that idea "one CD each year with big tour with BLS and if possible with Ozzy"... I would much prefer have an album at 2 or more years, but something good... The Mafia I like about 4 songs, Hangover 1 or 2...

I saw that done by an Asian dude with a uke. It was seriously amazing.
Jake Shimabukuro .. i think thats how you spell his name.  That kid is freaking amazing!  Hes got albums out too I think.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

And if I'm not mistaken this guitar was made from Warmoth Parts:
I'd assume he woudl've gotten a body blank and a neck and gotten some crazy luthier to do the work.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QRbL_94RF8A

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I saw him doing "While my Guitar gently weeps" with Tom Petty, Jeff Lyne (sp?), and Harrison's son.  He came out at the end dressed like a pimp, did the solo at the end and walked off.  Awesome.

Yeah, I just saw that last weekend. Before they took it down, that is. I like how Prince just throws his guitar in the air at the end and it disappears. Where did it go? Was it called up to heaven?

Personally, I'm going through Warmoth for my iceman because Ibanez has never made a lefty and I don't feel like spending $2500 getting one custom made.  If, by some small chance, I ever make it big enough to get a custom guitar, it would be an iceman like the one I'm going to build, but I would have Ibanez build it. 

lern2swim said:
Personally, I'm going through Warmoth for my iceman because Ibanez has never made a lefty and I don't feel like spending $2500 getting one custom made.  If, by some small chance, I ever make it big enough to get a custom guitar, it would be an iceman like the one I'm going to build, but I would have Ibanez build it. 

Will this be your first Warmoth?  Wait 'til you get it, you may never buy another Ibanez again.

I must say, my experiences with Ibanez are really positive. I only own a few, but I see a lot of student guitars and Ibanez's quality control toasts Squier, Epiphone, and the no-names. Schecter makes a pretty good sub-$500 guitar too... They know what they're doing, make a good $300 guitar now and you'll sell a lot more $1200 ones down the road.

stubhead said:
I must say, my experiences with Ibanez are really positive. I only own a few, but I see a lot of student guitars and Ibanez's quality control toasts Squier, Epiphone, and the no-names. Schecter makes a pretty good sub-$500 guitar too... They know what they're doing, make a good $300 guitar now and you'll sell a lot more $1200 ones down the road.

Never thought about the market that way. The guys like Fender and Gibson don't need to have good cheap guitars because they have the name and the history.

hannaugh said:
Yeah, but Schecter doesn't, so they gotta do something to boost their sales.

That was the unspoken half of my point  :)

i don't like this song as much, but his playing is incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqaYmQZgrB4&feature=related

Back