Why can't Bubinga necks have Indian Rosewood Fingerboard?

NonsenseTele

Epic Member
Hey!
I would like to know why Bubinga, Bloodwood, Pau Ferro and Gonçalo Alvez can't have Indian Rosewood fingerboard, when chosen to neck wood???
There is any problem of not glueing right?

NonsenseTele said:
Hey!
I would like to know why Bubinga, Bloodwood, Pau Ferro and Gonçalo Alvez can't have Indian Rosewood fingerboard, when chosen to neck wood???
There is any problem of not glueing right?
Rosewood works with just about anything. Couldn't imagine that it wouldn't work with any of those.... :dontknow:

Not a bash or anything, but I have been told things "can't be done" before, only to see them in the showcase later.

Gregg? Eric? Any answer?

Watershed said:
Not a bash or anything, but I have been told things "can't be done" before, only to see them in the showcase later.

that's not good :tard:

Watershed said:

Don't jump to conclusions there.  Unique items in the Showcase can be the results of shop testing.  This is particularly true with finishes.  We may get samples of different colors or the shop may have tried a different technique.  With more unique woods or wood combinations, the shop may have found a piece or two that would work in a different application.  Rather than sit on the piece, the shop makes something and puts it up on the showcase.  Sometimes we have to make a few pieces to determine exactly how long it will take to make and how much effort will be required.  This all goes in to making sure the shop is as efficient as possible and Warmoth continues to build the highest quality products.

As far as bubinga not having an indian rosewood fingerboard, there could be concerns over glue adhesion or differing expansion rates.  Or it could just be a really odd combination that isn't on the site.  Shoot sales an email and find out.  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to research a definitive answer to those two woods yet.

Wyliee said:
Don't jump to conclusions there.  Unique items in the Showcase can be the results of shop testing.  This is particularly true with finishes.  We may get samples of different colors or the shop may have tried a different technique.  With more unique woods or wood combinations, the shop may have found a piece or two that would work in a different application.  Rather than sit on the piece, the shop makes something and puts it up on the showcase.  Sometimes we have to make a few pieces to determine exactly how long it will take to make and how much effort will be required.  This all goes in to making sure the shop is as efficient as possible and Warmoth continues to build the highest quality products.

As far as bubinga not having an indian rosewood fingerboard, there could be concerns over glue adhesion or differing expansion rates.  Or it could just be a really odd combination that isn't on the site.  Shoot sales an email and find out.  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to research a definitive answer to those two woods yet.

No problemo!!
Thanks Eric

Wyliee said:

I figured that, but it's insult to injury sometimes when it can't be reproduced, or worse yet, told it can't be done only to see it the next week in the showcase.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Wyliee said:

I figured that, but it's insult to injury sometimes when it can't be reproduced, or worse yet, told it can't be done only to see it the next week in the showcase.

I can completely understand the frustration.  Please believe me, we don't do it intentionally, as sales hears about it plenty when customers want something special.  I've had to accept that we can't just go to the corner store and pick up more wood matching very specific criteria.  Even with the massive supply we have, there are still limits.

Don't get me wrong, you guys (Warmoth) are great and make a great product.
I have been nothing but pleased.

My example was an all canary tilt back headstock.
Perhaps at the time, there was genuine concern of glue adhesion.
Either way, I have one now.
:guitarplayer2:

The alternative would be for Warmoth to effectively promise that they could make anything in any combination of woods, then disappoint customers one-by-one as they actually tried to do it and ran into difficulties.  I can completely understand their reluctance to promise the world and then be forced to under-deliver.

I agree, sometimes it's frustrating to not see everything available.  The good people at Warmoth know that I've certainly asked about a good number of "custom" things, and they've had to tell me no, for various reasons which make good sense once it's been explained to me.  In every case, their answers have been polite.

Eric's point about shop testing should give you some hope.  The Showcase is a place for special combinations that they can't promise in good faith that they can reproduce with the same regularity as their standard offerings.  This happens for various reasons - for example, they can't always guarantee availability of certain woods with the correct dimensions, hardness, porosity or other qualities.  Necks need to be built with these factors in mind.

I've certainly taken advantage of Showcase offerings (more than I should have) and as a result, I have a very diverse family of Gecko necks and bodies that I've rarely seen offered again.  For example, I once bought a Gecko bass body with a Makorie top.  It's a beauty.  I've only seen that 2 or 3 times at most in the Showcase.  I wish they'd offer it as a standard configuration, but I can understand why they don't.

I guess the key here is patience.  If you really need something custom, be willing to work with the Warmoth staff and be patient.  They have VERY high standards of quality.  It also doesn't hurt to build up a rapport (especially with a friendly guy like Wyliee).  Who knows, maybe if they get the Bubinga + Rosewood combination working, they'll call you!

Well, my showcase frustration isn't so much with wood choices but bass neck and finish options.  You can't scratch build a blocked and bound bass neck, but they're in the showcase.  Some of the finishes are not reproduced for scratch builds as well.

Well, my showcase frustration isn't so much with wood choices but bass neck and finish options.  You can't scratch build a blocked and bound bass neck, but they're in the showcase.  Some of the finishes are not reproduced for scratch builds as well.

This is true.  Bound and blocked necks are a good example of a labor intensive process.  It's much more efficient to set up tooling and make several necks.  Taking all the setup time to make one neck just doesn't pencil out.  Hopefully, we'll improve the process in the future and can change that.

The enhanced grain finishes are a good example of finishes only available in the Showcase.  Let's just say I can't even get a one off.  There are times a blank looks to be a good candidate for such a finish, but by the time the body is cut and sanded, the grain is unimpressive.  It wouldn't make sense to start all over but it also wouldn't make sense to apply a finish that doesn't take advantage of the natural figure.  I'd certainly love to offer it more often.

I understand all of that, and it was explained to me like this.  There is one machine that does that work, there used to be two.  The majority of the inlay and binding work is for guitars, so they get the priority and the bass stuff is done in batches all at once.  Give us an inch, we want a mile.  Give us a mile, we want two miles.  Despite my griping, I really do appreciate all the good work, and will keep coming back.

Wyliee said:
Watershed said:

yes excactly it. i ordered a jazzmaster neck, on special request. They hand did the shape... only to see the Five they tried out before making mine appear up on showcase(assumingly). just email them and push for it if you want it for a bit of extra $.

Back