Who on this forum,sells on ebay?

Jared

Is selling your custom guitars on ebay a good thing? Can you make good money or is having a website better? I found this guitar on ebay and it was a warmoth/strat custom so I was just wondering if someone on this forum was selling it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-built-Fender-Warmoth-Strat-no-expense-spared_W0QQitemZ200292723836QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item200292723836&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Not a good idea. My first Warmath Strat cost me $1000.00 from start to finish to build. The Strat I'm building now will end up costing me $1600.00. There is no way I could get more than 60% of my money back on my guitars. I knew that when I did it. I did it because no one sells a guitar like I want it.

i have sold guitars on ebay - but nothing from warmoth. though if my warmoth jazzmaster continues with string breaks i might be forced to.

but in my experience a warmoth guitar does not sell well on ebay - i once saw a warmoth jazzmaster with fralin p90s go for like $500 on ebay - its owner told me that he had spent atleast double on it.

but you might be able to sell at a better price if you sold it part by part - body, neck, pickups etc.

Warmoth guitars have BAD resale value.  Sell the neck and body separately and you will probably get  a better price.

dbw said:
Warmoth guitars have BAD resale value.  Sell the neck and body separately and you will probably get  a better price.
The sellability has an enormous amount to do with the what the seller has built as well. Even when there is a great looking Jazzmaster with high priced components, it's still not the brand that automatically deserves the rap, it's the low number of people that would be interested in such a build. Sometimes it's only one thing that is different than what the big OEM guitar builders would do that keep people from taking the buying risk.

So while I agree that most of the time you cannot get the sum of your parts total out of a Warmoth build on ebay, we would have to also agree most people do not spec a guitar built to sell, but rather to play and thus make something a bit less marketable to the general public.

I know people buy Fender guitars, dismantle them and sell the parts on ebay since the parts by themselves yeild higher returns sold seperately. The higher return from parts scenario is true for Warmoth guitars as well, minus the conveyour belt mass assembly of like items for the initial low, low price.  But hey, we employ U.S. craftsmen and will continue to. And...you can find GREAT deals when you cruise through our Showcase and Screaming Deals section if you're trying to balance your custom build with a promising resale value down the road!

Basically, cranking out Warmoths and reselling is not a good business as everybody said. I've built a couple and resold for small profit, but to get any profit I bought the other parts as cheaply as possible (craigslist, even), and finished them myself. I might have made $3 or $4 an hour. Point was I learned some finishing techniques and got to try out some stuff.
Not only is warmoth not as known as Fender, but YOU are not known as someone who can do a good job putting it all together and setting it up. There are guys on here who do make businesses out of it, but I'm sure they did a lot of groundwork to build up a rep first, and / or they don't depend on it for a living.

Back