Who do you wish you had not seen play live ?

I saw Clapton last March.  There's enough he's not this and he's not that anymore that my expectations were low going in.  My initial impression 2 hours afterward was negative, but as days and weeks went on, it changed to a postitive one.  He's 68 years old, it's not Cream and he has professional hired guns whose best qualification is that they are yes men and women that know their place.  He won't be alive and touring forever, and I'd never seen him...so there's that.  Doyle II was almost unnecessary, except to provide a sexy falsetto as Jack Bruce's part on the Cream songs.

At 36, I was one of the youngest there.  When I stood up to leave at the first scheduled encore and turned around to notice it wasn't over, I think Mrs. STDC and I were the only ones standing and were instructed by our nosebleed section peers to sit back down like the other 20,000+ had been for the last hour and a half.

But my purpose of this post was not to say what Clapton is or isn't or what he used to be, or how well he played rhythm to Paul Carrack singing Tempted or How Long (in the encore, mind you), it's to give my 2 cents on the attention given to the opening act.  The Wall Flowers.

With what may be their twilight years, IMO, they were treated like red headed step children by the tour.  They are certainly capable of playing their hits and the "Oh I didn't know that was their song(s)" good enough, or maybe like a rushed version of the original.  The sound?  How about a 2nd independent sound board with one engineer directly behind his royal majesty's.  Hammond B3/FenderRhodes thingy that pads chords, loud and clear.  Hammond B3/Fender Rhodes chord padding operator's background vocals, loudest thing on the stage.  Kick drum and bass muddy and inarticulate, check.  Vocals, rhythm, and lead guitar, what's that?  It was clear by watching them, their monitors or in ears must've been great as they had no trouble playing together and were on the same page musically.  The FOH told a different story though.  I said to the wife, "If it's like this for Clapton, we're outta here."

It occurs to me, a tour manager/coordinator, there's a laundry list of questions they ask that these must be at the top of:
1.)  Who will do it for next to nothing?
2.)  Who needs us more than we need them?
3.)  Who won't want to play with our toys?
4.)  Who can we tell what to do?

This is how you get Kool and the Gang opening for VH, even how you get DLR playing with Eddie.

Guns N Roses were terrible, just at the height of their substance abuse and none of them could play. Plus the sound sucked.

Obviously I've seen lots of dross at festivals, but that's par for the course.

Another was Madness, went with a friend who was a huge fan and wow, that was a terrible gig. The rest of the crowed were lapping it up though.

Rolling Stones '90 in Wembley Stadium... just awful uninspired and boring!! I have always tried to appreciate them but after that I finally stopped trying!

Another one is Yes in I think 2010 or 2011.. it wasn't actually that bad, but compared to what I was used to from them, it was a huge disappointment. the worst thing was the karaoke coverband singer replacement! what an embarrassment! (for the same reason I won't go see the "new" Queensryche!) 
The other problem was Alan White.. he is (was?) such a brilliant, powerful drummer, but this time he was  barely hitting the drums.
at the end of the day it was still 3/5th of my favorite band, I just hope this wasn't the last time I saw them..

Sydney pub rock scene in the 1970s-80s was pretty vibrant. But there was a few clangers I saw in amongst some gems...
Dee Minor and the Dischords was obviously the bastard child of Gene Simmons & Iggy Pop.  Dee Minor (whatever his real name was I couldn't cared less), strutted around like Iggy but had full face makeup on. Word was that he donned the makeup because he had a day job as a Public Servant and he couldn't get permission to do the music, so he had to go incognito. Rubbish set list that borrowed from every Pub Rock band going around. Average music & less than average front man. Couldn't even get a  sing-along going in a pub full of half drunk Aussies.

Flowers was a burgeoning band that sprung up from the inner suburb sub-culture of Sydney. Their frontman/guitarist was Iva Davies who drew influences from glam rock, a bit of 60s stuff and a bit of Velvet Underground-ish grit.
A friend was in a band doing the rounds as a support band & I'd occasionally go along after work on Friday night to help with gear or just to bludge free entry  :icon_thumright: . On one of these nights, his band was supporting Flowers, who had by then developed a reputation as a top pub band in Sydney and were about to break out nationally. So we quickly packed up the band's gear and went back in to see them.
Flowers' first song was a very average rendition of "You Really Got Me" which had recently been remade famous by Van Halen's version. Flowers' version dessicated it with grunge guitar, weird keyboards and a drummer who had trouble picking time  :tard: . We all looked at each other as if to say: "Is this what all the fuss is about?" Surely not. Maybe they just had trouble settling in to the set? Nope. The next 3 songs were just as gawdawful as the first before we decided to bail out & go home. Their fans were a real gothic looking, drugged out bunch too. 12 months later, they re-emerged with their Icehouse album and the rest is history  :doh:  Flowers became Icehouse and Iva is a very well respected muso in Australia. But the album and their later work, was NOTHING like the drivel we saw that night in Sylvania. FWIW, I have a few of Icehouse's albums and the music is top quality...  :dontknow:

Ddbltrbl said:
But of all of them, Van Halen was the absolute worst! The show was the 1984 Tour, the March 13th show in Rosemont, Illinois and they sucked! Eddie was asleep, Alex was pissed (in both the British and American definitions of the term); probably at David. And, David Lee was drunk and looking for someone to share his misery with! He couldn't get the words to the songs out, repeated parts of verses, and stopped at least 3 songs in the middle to share some jewel of wisdom with the audience. Seriously, he talked to the audience more than he sang! The only one playing worth a damn that night was Michael Anthony! In the end, it was a freakin horrible concert!

This. They came through San Diego and I was stoked to have scored tickets. I had only been playing for a couple years at that point and Eddie was my hero at the time, so to go see him was going to be soooo cool. Turned out to be one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

On the flip side of that was, not too long afterward Van Hagar was born. I saw them on the 5150 tour and they blew my mind. What a complete difference from the band that I saw on the previous tour. One of my favorite parts of that show was Eddie and Sammy swapping fours during There's Only One Way To Rock. Brilliant.

Add to that list Ted Nugent. Went and saw him at the House of Blues downtown. Totally mailed it in, and it was so loud that everything was completely indistinct. We only stayed for the whole show because the Finance Department was dying to see him play Great White Buffalo. Hey, Uncle Ted? It's time to hang it up.

I can't recall ever seeing a bad show, although one time I saw Mr. James Brown live at Bonnaroo '03 just about front 'row' on the main stage with my buddies, and it was like a time warp. My friend looks at me and says "This music is so old!"  :dontknow:

I saw James again at Vibes later that same summer and he rocked the house (er..field).  :cool01:

One time I half-heartedly went to see GWAR on a whim ('cause I'm not really into that style of metal) and my buddy said their show was a rare sight. I could not believe it: my attention was GLUED to the stage. Not really into gore, but what a show! And I came away with more respect for the high octane micro-shredding style than ever before.  :headbang:

The times he sucked (late 2000s), as opposed to the times he didn't (early 2000s), Bob Dylan really was transcendentally awful.

I just don't want to watch BB King, Chuck Berry... from my perch here, It appears as though John McLaughlin's last stint ripping holes in the fabric of the universe was in the 1999-2000 Remember Shakti with the little kid U. Srinivas on monster mandolin. He got a Grammy with Chick Corea for a CD they did together, it was one of the most boring, phone-it-in albums ever. A "Guilt Grammy", for the ones the Mahavishu Orchestra and Return to Forever didn't get. :evil4:

But if this first guitar solo isn't the most ridiculous, "how the HELL did he get here from there?" thing you've ever heard.... and then the little kid damn near smokes him! :hello2:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/RememberShakti1999-06-26BerkleePerformanceCenterBostonMA.asx
I can usually get some idea of what tricks and patterns a guitarist is drawing on (why stadium rock is so damn dull, you can read it like a cereal box). But McLaughlin's yanking stuff out of nowhere and everywhere, W.T.F.?!? - the Mothership was transmitting loud & clear.

Steve Morse's "The Introduction" was great, then he wrote a perfect album, "Southern Steel" in 1991, and in 1992 he re-wrote it, even better, as "Coast to Coast." And he's re-written it again three or five times but it stopped getting better.  :sad1:

And everyone always says "Jeff Beck just keeps getting better!" but I ain't hearing it. Coincidentally, 1999-2000 and the band with the big-hair Jennifer Batten was it for Jeff too:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/JeffBeck2000-11-01JapanTourRehearsal.asx

Can't remember the year, but it was well after 2000. Saw Jeff Beck do a gig of "his record collection". Almost all covers of old 50s stuff, with Imelda May and her band as backup. Their version of Walking In The Sand was off-the-charts incredible. That's the best thing I've ever seen him do, live or not.

This wasn't the gig, but it's a damn fine performance.

[flash=420,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMoZ08cISac?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

You can probably name the year, but I could easily un-see The Cure and New Order.  Wouldn't miss it a bit.  In fact I saw a bunch of 80's one hit wonders in a couple years there and the only ones I recall being fun shows were The Romantics and, oddly enough, Adam Ant.  Oh, and the Violent Femmes were good.  I actually left Bowie's Glass Spider Tour half way through and dove entirely into punk rock after that out of spite. 

Van Halen tour with Hagar during 2004, worst show I've ever seen from a national level act. Eddie was drunk/high, what ever you want to call it, and it was horrible. I saw first hand why Hagar left that tour and it wasn't Hagar's fault.
:sad:

Back in the late 80's I was dragged to a Madonna concert, by my ex-wife, if it wasn't for the fact she was giving out the nookie, there was no way in hell I would have went...

had i known then that my hot spanish teacher liked them, i would have asked her to go with me to see Van Halen for the first time, with lead singer Gary Cherone in 97? 98?. But alas, i did not, nor did i have my license yet, so my dad and his girlfriend drove me and my best friend at the time.

I remember having a good time at the show, but i also remember it being very hard to hear clearly. It was loud, believe u me, but something was up with Eddie's rig as a roadie made a most obvious appearance on stage. He had some kind of dual cable plugged in that stuck out 2 feet before hanging limp and whoever was running the soundboard or dialing in the amps must have been fiending more than ed, or maybe the band tuned down a whole octave because i remember the sound not very articulate, and not just the sounds i did not know from the new album.

I saw them again recently with DLR and the sound was much more articulate and clear.

DustyCat said:
had i known then that my hot spanish teacher liked them, i would have asked her to go with me to see Van Halen for the first time, with lead singer Gary Cherone in 97? 98?. But alas, i did not, nor did i have my license yet, so my dad and his girlfriend drove me and my best friend at the time.

I remember having a good time at the show, but i also remember it being very hard to hear clearly. It was loud, believe u me, but something was up with Eddie's rig as a roadie made a most obvious appearance on stage. He had some kind of dual cable plugged in that stuck out 2 feet before hanging limp and whoever was running the soundboard or dialing in the amps must have been fiending more than ed, or maybe the band tuned down a whole octave because i remember the sound not very articulate, and not just the sounds i did not know from the new album.

I saw them again recently with DLR and the sound was much more articulate and clear.
It was 98 when Cherone and VH went on tour with VH3. I was at their very first show witch was by invitation only at the Billboard Live in L.A. March of 98.

My wife and I have done the Monsters of Rock Cruise since 2012, when it started.  We attended this year also, and we'll be attending 2014.

I don't do a whole lot of shows, so most of my exposure to live music have come from these two experiences. 

Here are the ones I wish I'd never seen...

Bang Tango- Nice guys, but terrible music and a terrible live show.

Enuff 'Z Nuff- "'Z 'Nuff" said.

Faster Pussycat- Just a big bucket of suck, all the way around.

Jailhouse- Very boring live show.

Lita Ford- No carisma, whatsoever.  A real disappointment.

Lynch Mob- Was George Lynch drunk?  Who knows, but on that particular night, I could have played and sounded better.  He didn't even make eye contact with the crowd.  He appeared to wanna be anywhere but on the stage.

Some of the best shows I've seen:

KISS- It's KISS!  Have anyone ever gone to a KISS show and NOT been entertained?

Danzig- Not much in terms of theatrics, but they just kicked ass.

Metallica- Both times I saw them, they left it all on the stage.  I'm not sure about now, but they sure gave fans their money's worth in the early 1990s.

Cheap Trick- I got free tickets.  It was a night out on the town, and something to do.  They wound up being awesome.

Alcatrazz- Like Cheap Trick, I was never a fan, but I will go see them play ANYTIME!  They were amazing, not corny and "soft" like you hear on their records.

XYZ- Just awesome.  Period.

Cinderella- They still kick ass.

Tesla- They sound tight as hell, and you'd swear they were still in their 20s by the way they move on the stage.

Loudness- Thunder from the East!  AWESOME!  They kicked ass!

Saxon- Like Alcatrazz, their live show is far better than ANYTHING you'd hear on their records.  They were AWESOME.

Queensryche (with Todd LaTorre)- Geoff WHO?  Go ahead, have your reservations about Queensryche because Geoff Tate is no longer manning the ship.  Yeah, I did, too, until I heard them live.  I'll just say I didn't miss Geoff Tate's presence (or voice).  Todd LaTorre belts'em out just as good as Tate did.

Keel- Yes, Keel.  Those guys leave it all on the stage.

Night Ranger- Nah, I'm not a huge fan, but damn, did Brad Gillis and Joel Hoekstra rock that stage to its foundation!

DC4- You probably haven't heard of these guys, but their band consists of members from the old 80s band, Odin (ever seen Decline of Western Civilization?), Armored Saint, and Dio's youngest guitarist ever, Rowan Robertson.  They were raw, and had a lot of energy.  While they're music isn't the greatest I've ever heard, it is good, and they put on a hell of a show.  I did purchase both of their CDs as soon as I got home. :D

L.A. Guns- They were missing a guitarist, but even though, Phil Lewis, Scottie Griffin, and Steve Riley lit up the stage.  Given they were down a man, they were AWESOME.

Heavy Mellow- They do "flamenco-style" covers of Metal tunes.  AWESOME!  These guys were simply AMAZING.

Kix- Yet another band who leave it all on the stage!  Great live act and full of energy!

Vixen- Yes, those four little ladies from the 80s.  Great live act and definitely still "have it!"  They were tight, full of energy, and exceeded ALL my expectations!  Nice people, too. 

There's a lot of good stories here now about the good and bad.

The last one prompted me to remember the last time I saw Cheap Trick, who did a good show but unfortunately over did the time on stage as a support act  and the power was cut on them. Anyway it was good to see them a couple of years back as the time before that was 2 - 3 decades before.

It's years since I saw Saxon, but again a good live band. Actually they are still gigging.

Back