White korina / canary / ziricote tele-ish build

emcee_m_prime

First time putting together a guitar. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Plays and sounds awesome.

Stats:
-chambered korina body with forearm and belly contours and contoured heel, finished with a bunch of thin coats of TruOil
-canary neck (1 coat of tru oil, more on headstock) with figured ziricote fretboard and 6150 frets
-Rumpelstiltskin Original Black Knight pickups (formerly known as 50s Black Ropes), Gotoh modern bridge, Hipshot open locking tuners, Schaller strap locks, CTS pots and Orange Drop cap

The TruOil finish doesn't seem incredibly durable (got a few little dings already, sadly), but it feels and sounds great - this guitar is insanely resonant unplugged, and that comes across through the amp as well.

Let me know what you think, hit me with suggestions for next time, etc.

Attachments

• 2017_1219_21102000.jpg
    2017_1219_21102000.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 711
  • 2017_1219_21104700.jpg
    2017_1219_21104700.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 545
  • 2017_1219_21111300.jpg
    2017_1219_21111300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 513
Yet another sterling example of my operating principle that simplicity is the highest virtue.  The crazy figuring of that fingerboard is all the more lovely because it is surrounded by natural, straight-grained wood.  I salute your choices, although I personally would have probably left the neck-shaft unfinished.  I have a raw canary neck that is my favorite one to play of all my axes. 

As for the Tru-oil - yeah, it's not the most durable finish on the market, which it makes up for by being easy to apply and repair.  Just sand the ding a little and apply some more, and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks! It's good to know that I can fix it pretty easily once it inevitably gets all banged up.

I almost left the neck completely raw, but I decided to give it a little protection just to be safe. I put a single, really light coat on and brushed it with 0000 steel wool after application, and it feels almost the same as it did out of the box - mostly retained the bare-wood feel, but I'm slightly less worried about it now.

That looks absolutely gorgeous. :icon_thumright:
My only recommendation for your next guitar is to have Warmoth do a finish. They do an superb job and the finish is super durable.

While your results are beautiful, I'd keep what Logrinn said in mind for the next fiddle. Warmoth's finishes are super-durable, very reasonably priced, and done to a fine turn. Best deal you can make.

Well that came out great! I like the finish you achieved.

I have to agree with Kevin that if you can get Warmoth to put a finish you like on, then that's by far the best deal going. Of course if you want something other than what W offers, then you're going to have to do your own.

Back