Which DAW do you use and why?

Good call, IMO. I've been using S1 for about a year now, and I love it. My personal favorite thing it does (and I honestly don't know that other DAWs don't do it) is it allows you to put plugins in the input chain, so you can "record to tape" through them. I use that all the time, recording through Wall of Sound and my 1073 plugin. But I'm also someone that came up recording in the time of 2" tape, and I'm kind of used to getting the sound recorded during the initial recording phase. YMMV.

Which DAW you use and why?

To me, that's the question of anyone new to recording/mixing/mastering. The intention of the question is usually the desire for shortcuts for a quick and successful entry into the audio world.

My personal answer: It doesn't matter which DAW you work with. Believing that one DAW or another will get you a better song mix is ​​about as naïve as a guitarist imagining that buying a new guitar would make them a better guitarist.

For me, after all these years of making music (live and studio), the quality of a song is based on about 10% of the technology used to create it. The remaining 90% is created by those who play the instruments, stand behind the microphone and sing and those who record/mix/master a song and have acquired their knowledge of this over many years of practice.

Aahh - just forgotten: I use Cubase, but that's pretty unimportant

It's true that all DAW's these days have similar functionality. As I said earlier in the thread, you should choose one based on its workflow and how it compliments the way you think and create.

A Jeep, a Corvette, a Honda Goldwing, a Volkswagen Cabriolet, a Mustang, a Mini Cooper, a Harley Davidson Fat Bob, a Ford 250 half-ton, a 1968 Chevy Bel-Air station wagon with three-speed on the column, and a 2020 Toyota Prius will all get you to the grocery store and back. Which one would you pick, and why?

Well I wouldn’t pick the F-250 half ton you reference as true F-250s are 3/4 ton LOL.  F-150s are 1/2 ton.

TBurst Std said:
Well I wouldn’t pick the F-250 half ton you reference as true F-250s are 3/4 ton LOL.  F-150s are 1/2 ton.

Well....dang it.

[Climbs back in Prius and silently drives away.]

babawowo said:

To me, that's the question of anyone new to recording/mixing/mastering. The intention of the question is usually the desire for shortcuts for a quick and successful entry into the audio world.

My personal answer: It doesn't matter which DAW you work with. Believing that one DAW or another will get you a better song mix is ​​about as naïve as a guitarist imagining that buying a new guitar would make them a better guitarist.

For me, after all these years of making music (live and studio), the quality of a song is based on about 10% of the technology used to create it. The remaining 90% is created by those who play the instruments, stand behind the microphone and sing and those who record/mix/master a song and have acquired their knowledge of this over many years of practice.

Then why are you on this forum when it all doesn't matter anyway? You might as well just get one guitar off the rack and continue using Cubase until the end of time.

I've been using DAWs for a long time, first Cubase, then changed to Ableton just because I've seen a friend using it and I liked the visual appearance more. But I've never asked myself why I actually picked a specific DAW and if there might be a more convenient option for what I do. What I learned through this thread and talking to others is that the UX of Studio 1 is far superior and more pleasant, - let alone it doesn't drain as much CPU other DAWs. Enough reasons to give it a try.

Why you think that I believed a DAW (or any Warmoth build) would make me a better musician is puzzling to me. Further deducing that we're all naive and must be beginners for discussing which DAW might have advantages is even more puzzling.

babawowo said:

Bro, you're at an alnico 5 and I need you to be at about a 2 lmao

woof, thanks for taking the time to descend from ur lofty heights of superiority to condescend to us lowly mortals

sure u can get a good mix usin' any modern daw... nobody was arguing' otherwise and certainly nobody was sayin' the musician ship part isn't important... but the work flow for each daw is at least somewhat unique and some will be a better fit than others depending on your needs. my dude Alex was crowdsourcing opinions and i dont know why u seem to have taken great umbrage (fancy word for annoyance) with it

i'm a Reaperer (someone who uses reaper). it doesnt have to be fugly (that means ugly but worse) because you can download skins and #beautify it. its also cheap af lol

I'll probably be the odd one out here - still using Cakewalk Sonar Platinum -
the last version before they made major changes to the Piano Roll View.

Why - The PRV in this version allows me very fast changes via keyboard hot keys that were removed in the next version and are still gone in
the current version of Cakewalk by Bandlab.

But above and beyond the hotkey changes and version of Cakewalk allows multiple PRV windows open and locked into place at the same time in the same project making very large midi projects very easy to work with.

I 'could' get used to the new Cakewalk by Bandlab version, if I had to,
but I'd be forced to use the mouse more than I do now, and I see no real upgrade in features that make it worth slowing down my workflow.

I run a 2015'ish version of Cubase Artist in a same year Mac computer.  At the time, I had some experience with an older version and a buddy was also running CB.  The idea was we both get the same softward to share files.  Never really did that, but I have no issues in using it.  I'm sure I'm only tapping into an einsey weinsey bit of the capability as I use it with the same mentality of using a Tascam cassette 4 track recorder from back in the day.

I'm taking a computer boot camp course (ends in 3 weeks...woohoo) and bought a hot rod Microsoft Pro laptop for the class.  Once I'm done with the class, I'm toying with getting some kind of DAW for it.

I got the test version of Studio 1, tried it, like it but decided to stay with Ableton. My workflow is just way faster there and I'm too impatient to learn a new workflow :-/

alexreinhold said:
I got the test version of Studio 1, tried it, like it but decided to stay with Ableton. My workflow is just way faster there and I'm too impatient to learn a new workflow :-/

I started using AutoCAD ~1990, I built so many habits on that interface. It's fortunate that work has a site license.

I can also understand about workflow and being more comfortable with what you know.

I've tried using Adobe Photoshop so many times, but I just kept stumbling around because I'm used to Paint Shop Pro (since long before its acquisition by Corel).  So I stick with PSP.  It serves my limited needs as I'm not a professional designer or photographer.

Plus, PSP is way cheaper!

LOTS of amazing tracks have emerged from AL sessions.  I use LogicProX bc it's what I'm used to.

Ableton Live isn't the greatest post production tool, if you just want to track and mix I'd go elsewhere.

However Ableton shines as a way to record ideas, turn ideas into songs and use some of those elements to play live. The whole session/arrangement views is completely different way of working. It's the most advanced looper pedal you will come across, which is why Ed Sheeran uses it for his live shows.

It really depends what your use case is.

I've been using DAWs since the late 80s when recording on Atari hardware with pirated Apple II ROMS was a thing (SmpteTrack, anyone?). By the early-mid 90s had one of the first 40-track recording studios in Vancouver syncing two ADATs and a Session8 all chasing a sixteen track two-inch Studer. We actually beta tested the first prototype OTARI hard disk recorder there, as well. Tried ProTools, didnt like it. Tried Cubase, hated it! But I eventually settled in with RME interfaces and Cakewalk/SONAR for a long time. Currently using MixBus, and definitely recommend it highly. I hear SONAR is coming back later this year as a paid product... I really liked it's MIDI editing interface, so might look at it again, just for MIDI stuff!

I'm using MOTU Digital Performer -- and, fwiw, not the most current version...not even close -- because DP was the first DAW I ever used a bazillion years ago, after having used MOTU's MIDI-only version Performer for several years prior, and so familiarity with workflow is completely ingrained in my behavior. In order to get me to switch to a different DAW now, that new software would have to simultaneously DUMP MONEY INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT WHILE GIVING ME A REACHAROUND for it to trump the familiarity I already have from 25+ years of using DP.

If there's ever anything I can't achieve with the version of DP I'm using now that a paying client demands and that my success as a professional relies on, I will switch DAWs in a heartbeat. But I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

I have Logic on a Mac. In the past I have used Cubase on PC. I think Logic with all of the extra stuff it comes with is very good value if you have a Mac. Though there is plenty to choose from nowadays.

As the thread just got bumped.

My Mac is getting to a point where it needs replacing. What to do – embrace Apple Silicon etc or back to a custom PC with Cubase or something else. The DAW is a small part of what I might consider in making the choice.

What to do – embrace Apple Silicon etc or back to a custom PC with Cubase or something else.

Custom PC with Cubase! (y)

I am a longtime Cubase user (starting with LE 4 and now on Pro 12). Also recently upgraded one of my older Cubase licenses to Nuendo 12, although I haven't had much of a chance to start exploring the extra, more post related, features.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong at this point. We are so spoiled with what is available in terms of computing power and DAW features it is mind boggling.

Custom PC with Cubase! (y)

I am a longtime Cubase user (starting with LE 4 and now on Pro 12). Also recently upgraded one of my older Cubase licenses to Nuendo 12, although I haven't had much of a chance to start exploring the extra, more post related, features.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong at this point. We are so spoiled with what is available in terms of computing power and DAW features it is mind boggling.

Although it would be a cool project to build a custom PC, practicality for my use cases and so forth will have to be considered. Because the DAW is a small part of any choice that I make, the scales currently are towards a MacBook Pro.

Back