where to get a tube amp kit

Metro is a good kit.

Also... www.tubesandmore.com has their own MOD kit, a marshall knock off.

The key - is the output iron.  SPEND the money on good good iron.

Why are Mercury transformers expensive?  Because people are willing to pay the price.  Laminate iron varies.  Wires pretty much the same, but coil cores and separators vary.  The interleave techniques to matter, but not as much as you'd think.  The REAL key to that "vintage" vibe is having a transformer that is ok electrically, and a bit understated magnetically.  IOW, you want the coils to hold up, especially when its having problems gettting enough EM field going.  That will make them run hot.  The EM field is what makes it go.  Less iron makes it harder to do.  You want that - because as the transformer gets magnetically "saturated" sonic wonders begin to happen.  The right amount of saturation comes from careful selection of the laminate metals, the way they interact with the coils, and the amount of laminates used.  Some transformers might even use mixed lamination materials.  Its a bit of an art but you want a certain percentage of saturation in the transformer, in the right frequency ranges (lows saturate first, but at what point and at what frequency), and you want to do that at a target operating point, and impedance.  There's a bit more to it.  There is also some things in single ended (and some push pull ) transformers that must be closely observed, and held to tight tolorance.  One is the so called "air gap" in single ended (and some p/p trannies).  Its sort of like a coil gap in speakers - not really the same but - must be held to a close tolorance in the control of saturation of the magnetics.  And on and on. 

Cheap transformers work.  Select ones work like we want them to!

I will relate my experiences with kits and parts which include quite a bit of Weber stuff. In order of build:
Weber 5E5A (Tweed Pro clone, wound up with Mojo cab on this one which Weber was supplying at the time)
Mission 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe clone with optional Mercury Magnetics OT, home built cab with Tone Tubby Alnico 12)
Weber ModRod - Set up as a PP KT66 with a Pentode input (6SJ7), this is a head
Weber Lauren (SE 807 design, a Champ on steroids), built as a head
Weber 6M18TMB (head)
Home brew 36WTMB with EF86 substituted for the normal channel, I used Weber PT & OT in this build but most of the remaining parts were sourced from Mouser, Hoffman, Angela, etc. (head)

Aside from some screw ups in parts pulling at Weber I have had good luck with parts and kits. Missing parts and mistakes in pulling parts have been corrected rapidly following notification by email.

I have been very satisfied with my Weber kits. The 36WTMB is a really great sounding amp and uses Weber Iron although the design is a trial and error collection of ideas mainly gleaned off of 18W.com.

On most of my Weber kit builds I substituted Carling toggle switches, Switchcraft jacks, better pilot lights & better tubes but most of the other Weber supplied components I find to be good quality.

On most of my heads I am running a ported 1x12 cab as described in the core projects at AX84.com with a Celestion Blue (reconed by Weber with a 25W voice coil) for a speaker. Highly recommended design, great bass response but good overall balance. The cabinet is little bulky and heavy but the big sound that the cabinet produces compensates for the size (compared to a 4x10 or lugging a Twin around it is nothing).

Am about to begin a Melissa build (qty 4, 6V6) and plan to use Weber Iron on it.

The Mission 5E3 is a really great amp and I recommend one of Bruce's kits without reservation.

Safety is the big issue when building tube amps. You have to be absolutely sure that the amp is unplugged and power supply caps are discharged before making any modifications, no exceptions, no short cuts. Think before touching or you die, very simple!

On kits and homebrews, it is not uncommon to have to spend days or weeks troubleshooting the build correcting lead dress issues, eliminating hum/grounding problems and experimenting with different component values to get the amp sounding the way you want it. Some kits will fire up and sound great on start up but don't expect this to happen on your first build. You can get great support on line but your ability to ask intelligent questions and communicate effectively in written form are cruical skills that are pretty tough to do without.

If you have patience and common sense and are reasonably good at building things (mechanically inclined) you should have no difficulty building a 5E3 as your first kit.

Just my 2 cents,

RM

Roundmidnight said:
If you have patience and common sense

Brother, my brother, patience we have, but common sense?  Do I need to remind you that these _are_ the Warmoth forum folks we're preaching to?  :laughing7:

CB,

I bow to your experience in this matter.

My gawd you are a prolific poster. Excellent content and discussion in most of your posts as well.

Kind regards,

RM

yes thank you cb, i found what i was looking for.
http://store.metroamp.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=160
good place to start i guess.

Not really.  Thats just the circuit board - and farily expensive for just that. 

Personally - look at the MOD kit in www.tubesandmore.com  You'll get some variables there that will let you pick and choose your tone.

Or - get a complete kit from Metro.  Pricey, but they are really top dog (esp the 50w plexi)

I got 3 of CB's amp builds and I'd buy ANYTHING this MAD MAN builds - guitar or amp!

CB's Hot Rod Champ in Deluxe Cab:
amp_inside7.jpg

CB's Killer Champ Plus
hr_champ3.jpg

CB's '56 Bassman Modified
band4.jpg

Some explanation -

The middle amp there, I call the "hot rod Champ".  I took a 70's Champ, reformed the chassis to accept two 6v6 tubes, with solid state rectifier.  The face plate is a Fender late 70's re-blackface plate.  The HRChamp uses a custom made power transformer and delivers 18w into a 10 inch Alnico Eminence speaker.  The standard Fender Champ is a single tube, 6w into an 8inch speaker.  This little amp smokes.  Just smokes.

The top amp, a 5E1a is what I call it.  Its a 5E1 Champ, not the 5F1 so common.  The E had a choke, less filtration, and kept the extra gain on the input.  This one has switchable B+ voltage (hi/low) and switchable gain on the preamp (hi/lo).  Those switches are hidden.  Also has an impedance selector, so you can use it with different external cabinets, or run a 6L6/KT66 in it too.  I did the covering and cosmetics on that amp.  That one runs into a 12inch Celestion V12-60 in a tweed Deluxe size cabinet.  It smokes. <ggg>

The bottom amp, a tweed Bassman.  Mojo did the cabinet (GREAT CABINET) but I shellac'd it.  The circuit is the 5E6 Bassman with one little tweak.  Again the E version, not the more "popular" F version.  Why?  The E saturates quicker, has a less modern preamp, is a growlin blues beast.  To me the F version is a bit too modern toned.  The E has a tweed preamp, and it has the cathodyne driver, and it has the HUGE choke where all the B+ goes through it.  It sags better.  <<<=== this is a totally rocking bitchin' amp!!!  Speakers are 4x10 Eminence Alnico

Based on the above - I gotta get off my duff and fniish my own Tweed Super, essentially the Bassman mentioned above, but 2x10

CB is being modest. These amps CRANK!
Serious tone - not for the faint of heart.

Although all 3 are GREAT amps, the Bassman is my fav.
It's the tone I've been hearing in my head since '72 and
CB NAILED it in this build.

Conceived on a cloth napkin at Maggiano's on Grand Ave., just off State Street...!~~

I got an amp kit from www.ceriatone.com (the Marshall Plexi lead clone) but I spent the 70 dollars to have them build it for me because I don't want to electrocute myself... I think for a PTP wired amp their prices are great and sounds pretty good too. You can also buy part kit from them and build it yourself (the PC board is pre-assembled) but 70 dollar saving for me wasn't worth the risk of electrocution as well as blown components.

You lucky son of a gun!~  Back in 99 we went to Chicago for a graduation from Moody.  Our driver told us "go to Maggiano's or else".  Considering he was once Frank's bodyguard (there's pix of him and Frank in the Ambassador hotel we stayed at), we took his word for it!!!

The concept was to give up the rectifier tube location for another 6V6, then do them up on a long tailed pair with traditional two-triode Fender preamp.

sc2.gif

sc1.gif

VTSA.jpg

sc3.gif

There it is next to my 62 Princeton.  Little box - BIG sound.  A total sleeper.

CB,

Thanks for the inspiration. I've got an old Gretsch amp that I can do that to. If ever I feel guilty about cobbling a vintage amp, I can get it back to original in a day.

Also, next time, try Club Lago. It's closer to Moody, and it's cheaper, skankier and more fun than Maggiano's. The chicken parm is excellent. Some of the waitresses are real sassy, too.

Also also, to kind of get back to the point of the thread: To anyone who wants to build their own amp, the best thing to do is dive in. My knowledge of electronics is cursory, informal and second-hand, but I've managed to put together three amps that I'm not afraid to gig. Just take your time, and be prepared for failure. Anything you do wrong can be fixed. There's a lot of online resources to help, too.

-CB- said:
sc3.gif

There it is next to my 62 Princeton.  Little box - BIG sound.   A total sleeper.

And if I ever get my ducks ($$$) in a row (and CB allows)
one day that brown Princeton will be MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Vic doesn't say is:  The amp is not for sale.  No amount of money will make me part with it.  However a certain Les Paul Standard (Dot) with Tim Shaw pickups... might. :icon_thumright:

OMG! Not my Lester!

It took me YEARS to find one to replace my old 74 Standard
<but this 86 studio standard smokes that old standard>

Hi, guys!

New here. Finally built my frankenstrat with Warmoth parts.

Metroamp.com is THE place to go if you want to build your own tube amp. George's customer service is second to none and the forum is loaded wirh guru's who really know their stuff. Just reading through some of the topics you will learn a lot in no time. Metro specializes in vintage Marshall and Marshall clones but the community on the forums know a lot about everything. Don't be afraid to ask any question. You will get several very well informed answers. I built a JTM45 clone as my first bulid and it worked first time out  :eek:. I also bought a complete '68 era 100 watter that is flawless. George has just released a 50 watt kit with instructions that are beyond obsessive compulsive. Anyone can build that one.

Oh yeah, the amps make tone to die for, too! 

Back