Whats the low B on a 5 string fretless like?

Dolando

Hello,

I'm a regular 5 string player and I've been contemplating a 5 string fretless jazz or gecko and I'm wondering how the low B sounds on a fretless. Seems to be a lot about, just never really had a play with one. I'm basically looking to either build a 5 string fretless, or pimp my current 4 string jazz fretless.

Any experiences on tone etc or woods that work/didn't work or just general life lessons would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam

Having played many fretlesses (fretli?), as well as having played around with many alternate tunings (including tuning my 4 string down a 4th), I'm not a fan of the low B on a fretless.  My recently finished purple beast is tuned down to DGCFBb (high 5 down a whole step), for a bunch of reasons, some of which may not apply to you, but could be good food for thought.  YMMV.

I need to have good note definition in order to play in tune, and between the stretches needed to play on the 1st three 'frets' and the inherent mud that comes with a 5 string, I feel I'm slightly more likely to slip in my intonation. By myself it's not a big deal, but when playing with a loud drummer and/or guitar player, I have a harder time hearing the fundamental of the note (rather than the rumble & boom). I personally would rather not EQ to a more upper mid-rangey quack any more than I have to.  My ideal tone is somewhere between Geddy Lee and James Jamerson, but it always changes depending on where & with whom I play.

I personally haven't ever needed to go lower than D (having Eb is super handy, though), and I like to be able to play E at the second position (which I find easier to play than switching between open notes & fingered notes.  I tend to like to play middle & upper range stuff when I noodle around, plus I like being able to play harmonic chords, so another higher string appeals to me more than the 5 notes below low E. 

Since I'm not playing bass in a band right now, I might have to change this someday, but I'd probably just get a fretted 5 or down tuned 4.

Fun challenge: tune down to DGCF and relearn all your bands's songs.  :headbang1:
I was in a band where there were 3 songs in dropped D, all others in standard. While the guitar players spent their time dividing their parts to not play all over each other, I learned new fingerings for all the songs and saw a big jump in my playing skills.  :guitaristgif:

I'm a NARB (Not a Real Bassist). That said, I've never been completely happen with low B. If I were buying a bass now, I'd think strongly about getting a 4 string and tuning it DGCF. Actually the low B isn't going to be your problem as much as low C-Eb  :icon_jokercolor:. Even my URB friends say the only way they'd consider a fretless five string is high C rather than low B.

If you're worried about floppiness, get a stiff neck (and body.) And choose higher tension strings.

I've played a couple 5 string fret less basses, best way I could describe the sound of the B, is go eat some McDonald's, all the "beef" at Taco Bell, drink a gallon of folgers, go to the bathroom, and the sound reverberating in the toilet is about the same sound unless you get a high end 5 string fret less.

Check out Joe Lester from Intronaut, I've never seen him use anything other than a fretless 5 live.

I really like having the low b on my gecko obviously it will not have the articulation of the other strings but I like to be able to drop a 5th at will. The 35 inch scale really helps to give a more solid feel and good sustain it even sounds great not plugged in. I have a fretless 5 string that's 34 inch  scale but the B strings is basically a joke if it is not plugged in, it works fine amplified though a bit muddy and not much sustain, I would not miss it if it were gone but I sometimes string it E to C.

line6man said:
If you're worried about floppiness, get a stiff neck (and body.) And choose higher tension strings.

Thanks for all the info, some real food for thought. The floppiness is basically my worry, I briefly played a yamaha TRB fretless 5, but wasn't very experienced then so I can't recall what it was like. It was alder with a maple rosewood neck and I do seem to remember it sounded a little flat ad lifeless.

I've heard hem nice fretless basses made fro mahogany, so I'm looking at a mahogany body, with Wenge/ebony neck. I assume those would be plenty stiff enough? Is Wenge stiffer than maple?

Not a bad idea to tune it E-C. I had contemplated a 6 string, but not played a 6 string fretted, let alone a fretless. I do like a 5 string, and I suppose I could get it fretted if I really didn't get on with it.

Thanks again.

If you want fretless, five but are worried about floppiness, certainly consider  stringing DGCFBb, and maybe go up a guage.

swarfrat said:
If you want fretless, five but are worried about floppiness, certainly consider  stringing DGCFBb, and maybe go up a guage.

Yea, not a bad idea, just don't really want to be having to learn a new tuning as well fretless. :)

Bass isn't usually a chordal instrument, and it's straight fourths. You need to be thinking intervals, not notes anyway. :) It builds character.

Right well I've taken the plunge and gone for a narrow gecko. I have small hands. :) Mahogany body with flame Koa top, and a Wenge/ebony neck with matching peghead.

Oh and I had my Delano SBC 5 HE/S-4 Dual coil humbucker delivered today. Should sound sweet. :)

If I don't like the low B on this fretless ill string it E-C.

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Back