Whats in your Strat bidge position ?

1jimbo

I have never found a single coil pickup that I really like in the bridge position on a strat. I love the Tele bridge pickup but its humbuckers for me when it comes to the strat.  I have HSS on all my strats. How do you feel about it?

Pearly Gates Plus in the Lonestar and an SD C5 Trembucker in the Warmoth. I probably prefer the latter, the Lonestar seems a little less powerful

Tone Zone on my HH Strat.
Rio Grande Muy Grande on my SSS Strat.
Super Distortion on an HH Strat, and on an HSS Strat.

Lindy Fralin - vintage set with the plate onth the bridge PU.and a blend pot

I had a Red  Lace Sensor for a few years ( and Blue neck , Silver mid)  They were decent , but the Fralins nail the vintage tone.

Fralin Vintage Hot set with a baseplate on the bridge as well here.  Beautiful tone.

Well, I have the "whatever comes in the MIM Strat" pickups in mine now, but looking to switch to Barden's. There are several Barden-equipped Strats at our local shop and I have a buddy that plays one. I had always been skeptical of "single-coil voiced humbuckers" because they sound terrible, but these Bardens are the real deal. They sound like everything you love about a Strat, just more of it. Beautifully balanced from low to high. Roll the volume and tone back slightly and you can find all your vintage Strat sounds. Turn them up and you find a hotter sound that's still clear, focused, and balanced. I'm putting some Bardens in my upcoming Tele project and I hope to afford some for my Strat soon.

By the way, I think they achieve the "single coil" sound out of a humbucking single-coil sized pickup is by winding for low output and using fairly strong magnets. The result is that they actually have a fairly high output, but don't get muddy like a normal hot humbucker can.

Not planning a strat, but would be a tele bridge pickup, for sure, probably Bare Knuckle's Piledriver :evil4: Inspired by the Broadcaster's pickup, mine is 13.6k 
icon_twisted.gif

Marko said:
RG BBQ Bucker!!  :icon_thumright:

I have a BBQ Bucker on my newest Warmoth Strat at the bridge and I really like it a lot, BUT I have a DiMarzio FRED in my other Strat and I think its by far the best sounding and most interesting sounding pickup I have ever hear. It's a very rich and full sounding pickup.

Rio Grande Stelly will be a good choice.

It is supposed to be a Tele bridge pickup to retrofit a Strat.

i have been thinking about putting a sd little 59 on my strat bridge for sometime now - supposed to go well with the existing texas specials. also on the sd home page they are supposed have a wiring diagram for this pickup so that you do not lose the "quack" by replacing the single coil on the bridge.

You will lose the quack no matter what, and it won't sound like a great PAF either. But it might get the job done for you. Just don't get your hopes too high, it's ceramic magnets with skinny little coils, after all. Nice thing is that it's not too hard to keep changing them out.
I'm also not too happy with my strat bridge position. I'm at the point where I'm considering routing out some space for an actual tele pickup.

In my black HSS Strat I use Bill Lawrence L500L in the bridge. :headbang:
In my red SSS Strat I use Fender SCN pickups

Back