What was your first "real" guitar?

Torment Leaves Scars

My first "real" guitar was a B.C. Rich N.J. Series Mockingbird, which I still own.  I got it when I was 14 years old.

It's pretty easy to spot in this photo.  :laughing3:

Arsenal.jpg

Gibson SG Faded with ebony fretboard & moon inlays, this was my first real guitar, got it when I started playing guitar (when I was 20, I'm 28 now)

300174235593-1.jpg

oh, and then I got this a year later: Fender Aerodyne Telecaster, got it for $400 because it had some scratches on the back (barely noticable!)
fender%20telecaster-221513205541674180.jpg

well........

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2010.msg19437#msg19437

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3630.msg38542#msg38542

Mine was a 1957 Gibson ES-125 that I modded by adding a bigsby and a humbucker in the neck position.
I got it at a hock shop for $100.00 in 1970. Carried it home wrapped in a blanket.

gibson_125.jpg

My first "real" guitar was an Epiphone that looked very much like this...

EH5551c.jpg

Bought it with money I made on my paper route when I was 12-13 years old, which was about 40 years ago. I eventually made a mess of it trying to "improve" it, so I bought a '61 Gibson Melody Maker...

gibson%20sg%20guitar-458171207837593600.jpg

...which while in sad shape, counted more as a real "real" guitar. I mean, it was a Gibson! The holy grail! Played that for a lotta years. Loved that guitar. It wasn't exactly as shown above - mine only had one pickup - a P90 at the bridge. But, otherwise, that's it.

Gibson Les Paul Studio dotneck that I bought for $275 and sold for $350, and owned for a couple years, just long enough to know I hate Gibsons.

My first was a pawn shop lawsuit 335 clone with weak pickups and a strongly angled neck joint. Maybe 1988?  Thing played awesome though. I might have paid $100, not more.

the SG and the Tele were the first "Real" guitars I got when I decided to become serious about playing guitar, this Behringer V-tone guitar pack was my first ever guitar  :laughing7:
_c804123_image_0.jpg

I played my dad's acoustic guitar and had a Squier Bass starter pack (still have both), and then wanted an electric guitar so I could be cool like my friends (I was 16 at the time). Looked around on the internet a ton, and decided I wanted a three-pickup Epiphone Les Paul. Went into the store, didn't see any - and my dad talked me down to something cheaper for my first guitar. I went home, thought about it some more, and decided I'd just get an Epiphone SG, I didn't really need the three pickups or to spend the extra money. Went back into the store, and saw this hanging on the wall:

Artist_550.jpg

I fell in love immediately. I mean, it's got an F-hole! On an electric guitar! How cool is that? (Honestly, that's one of the main reasons I bought it.) It was used and going for $800 - so I had to borrow some money from my dad to cover the difference between that and what I'd saved, and pay him back over the next few months. Still have the guitar, still love playing it. Haven't modded it one bit, and I'll probably keep it that way now that I have Warmoths to mess around with.

Depending on the definition of 'real' guitar it was either a Yamaha EG303 ($100 combo pack with a 5watt amp that I still have)
f_250864985-1803413422.jpeg

It's a meld of strat & rg bodies, very light body, neck too thin, pickups very noisy and not exactly 'good' sounding.

I bought what is my current strat (1993 MIM Fender Strat) from my brother in law in 1996. It began life looking like this:
Black_Strat_4.jpg

AutoBat said:
Depending on the definition of 'real' guitar it was either a Yamaha EG303 ($100 combo pack with a 5watt amp that I still have)
f_250864985-1803413422.jpeg

It's a meld of strat & rg bodies, very light body, neck too thin, pickups very noisy and not exactly 'good' sounding.

I bought what is my current strat (1993 MIM Fender Strat) from my brother in law in 1996. It began life looking like this:
Black_Strat_4.jpg

A lot of people don't realize this but Yamaha is one of the largest instrument manufacturers in the world.  Not only that, but apparently their guitars are also one of the highest selling brands.

I stole my first guitar fairly from my sister and went to college with it. It was a Guild t100 from the early 1960's.  After nearly removing my middle finger on my left hand in a wood working accident, I had to give it back.  She sold it to some lucky MF for $300.  It was stunning and played like a dream.  One pickup, one knob, and it still smelled like a wood shop. It looked something like this.

Attachments

• imagesCAQ05Z5O.jpg
    imagesCAQ05Z5O.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 289
These aren't pics of the originasl, but it was a 1959 Fender MusicMaster as below with a matching tweed case and tweed champ amp; traded $80 worth of weed for them in 1972.

original.jpg
1027Fender%201950's%20Tweed%20Amp_01.jpg

Very difficult to answer since there were a few. For many reasons I don't have any clear memories of my first electric guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. The first electric I used seriously, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, was crap: terrible pickups, botched wiring by a previous owner, neck all squiggly with a broken truss rod. I was very happy to get rid of that mess! Next came a Schecter Tempest Custom which is decent but lacks character. I played it a lot before I could afford my Hagström Swede which is a guitar I've formed a real bond with - it just got a set of CTS pots installed and a truss rod issue resolved.

I'm currently re-doing the Schecter, right now I'm in the beginning of the sanding process.

This is an Ibanez Roadstar RS-315.  First guitar I ever bought myself - got it when I was 19, almost 20.  My mom bought me a pawnshop POS "Ventura" steel string acoustic for Christmas when I was 18.
Ibanez_RS-315_Roadstar.jpg

Well this was my first guitar, a 60's Silvertone, traded my trumpet and $50 for it.
1429_c.jpg

My first "real" guitar was a  1976 Les Paul Custom..
76LesPaul-2.jpg

In '94 I had a good job, no kids and no wife, so I went and bought my dream guitar- Steinberger GM7T.  They will probably bury me with this guitar.

Attachments

• Steinberger.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 305
Back