What to use for a Satin Finish

phred

Hi Guys,
First time poster-long time lurker. I just got my new neck from Warmoth today and it will need a satin finish. I've Tung oiled necks before, but never Tru-oiled or sprayed a neck. What is the easiest, and best way to go? Should I buy a can of Deft Satin laquer and do some light coats then sand it, or Tru-oil it? Will Tru-oil give a satin finish? I know Tung oil will not be covered by the warranty, but I dont think I'll need it.

Thanks for the input.
Scott

I'm not too big on Tru-Oil, as it gums easily, and to me, frankly, it doesn't wear well.  If the warranty concerns you, you'll need something better than tung oil finish - Deft is really easy to use, the semi-gloss is what you want.  It goes on "satin" and will sort of shine and buff out with hand motion from playing and take on a really nice patina of its own that way.  One can will do a neck, no problem!  You can mask the fretboard if rosewood or ebony etc... or just scrape the frets clean every few coats of Deft.  They scrape clean really easy.  You can use a plastic knife with a groove round groove cut in it as a scraper - zero fret damage.

+1 on the Deft. Their satin is really nice, it's what I use for my necks, feels great, hardly needs to be sanded if you spray carefully. I usually run over the backs with some #000 steel wool after a couple weeks.

Should I wipe it down with mineral spirits prior to spraying? Can I spray this over the Warmoth sticker that came with the neck?

Thanks guys
Scott

+1 deft semi; easy and much faster than oil. You could use mineral spirits first, but if it's new you could just give it a good rubdown with a clean tshirt. I've had good results with just that, no sealer, prep, or anything.
Let it cure for more than a week though; let it get nice and hard before you buff it.

Should I lightly spray the FB and focus more on the back? What would I sand the FB with? I dont want to scratch it?

Thanks guys
Scott

phred said:
Should I lightly spray the FB and focus more on the back? What would I sand the FB with? I dont want to scratch it?

Thanks guys
Scott

What is fretboard material? If it is anything other than maple, it should be masked off and not finished. If maple it should be treated the same as the rest of the neck in terms of finishing procedures.

jackthehack said:
phred said:

Thanks guys
Scott

What is fretboard material? If it is anything other than maple, it should be masked off and not finished. If maple it should be treated the same as the rest of the neck in terms of finishing procedures.

Some fingerboard woods other than maple can be finished. Pau Ferro looks great finished (think Rickenbacker), others as well.

ildar said:
jackthehack said:
phred said:

Thanks guys
Scott

Some fingerboard woods other than maple can be finished. Pau Ferro looks great finished (think Rickenbacker), others as well.

You COULD finish any fretboard wood, doesn't mean you SHOULD; I prefer the feel of raw wood under my fingers.

jackthehack said:
ildar said:
jackthehack said:
phred said:

Thanks guys
Scott

You COULD finish any fretboard wood, doesn't mean you SHOULD; I prefer the feel of raw wood under my fingers.

Definitely goes to preference, though I don't understand why or how you guys are dragging your fingers on the fret board wood. I use small frets-6230-and don't touch the fingerboard.

Back