what to do....

g2

I received my hollow swamp ash body yesterday for my first build project.

I'm not feeling much of a connection with this body.....mainly because of the grain.
Every swamp ash body ive seen has some sort of interesting grain patterns and this one is all....well...as you can see...straight.
If I saw this hanging up in some store somewhere, i'd most likely pass it by.

One of the reasons I went for swamp ash is because of the grain patterns one can get.....

I'm contemplating returning this, but...who knows if a replacement will be much better.
One I have a finish on the body, it could change the vibe big time i'm guessing....
Question is...do I want to take that chance???

Just curious what you all think.....

Attachments

• IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 385
What are you talking about?  That looks awesome, did you special order that? You could have asked for more figure in the grain, or if you ordered it from the showcase, good pick.

If you don't like it, set it aside for a future project

To be honest, I love the grain on that body. A Trans-Amber finish would look gorgeous.

I guess ive seen too many swamp ash bodies with more 'intricate' looking grain patterns....

Im literally staring at the body trying to imagine what different finishes will look like....

As I said..this is my first build....maybe im just nervous!?!? ;)

I did special order it....I didnt even think to ask about a more figured grain.....I assumed it would be.

One thing it does have that doesnt show up in the picture so well is somewhat of a flamed effect on the front of the body just above the pickup route.....

I am planning on staining it some kind of brownish color.....not set on how dark/light just yet....

I appreciate the feedback....

That is the advantage of buying from the Showcase, you get to see it first.
But that body looks awesome, I would be very happy with it.
I guess it's just not what you expected, which brings to mind; is it possible to request grain pattern availability when custom ordering?

Yes, exactly....it wasn't what I expected.....I dont HATE it....
The more I stare at it....I think i'll keep it....it's interesting looking.

One thing thats for sure...it's gona take a lot of grain filler to fill this thing!!! ;)

ibob74 said:
which brings to mind; is it possible to request grain pattern availability when custom ordering?

I don't know, it's hard enough trying to describe tone to someone, not sure I want to tackle describing grain patterns. I think it would make my brain hurt.

I think that is as sweet a piece of Swamp Ash as you can find.  If I saw 5 like that come up on Showcase and they all weighed less than 3.10 oz I would buy every one of them.  That guitar would make and exceptional 2-tone Sunburst or a beautiful Mary Kaye strat.  You scored!!!!!!!!

Here's a Swamp Ash body that I filled with mahogany grain fill, interesting enough?

Attachments

• T073sm.jpg
    T073sm.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 404
ibob74 said:
Here's a Swamp Ash body that I filled with mahogany grain fill, interesting enough?

Beautiful!!! I love it....

All you did is grain fill it then clear coat? No stain???

g2 said:
ibob74 said:

Grain fill, sanding sealer, clear coat.

ibob74 said:
g2 said:
ibob74 said:

Grain fill, sanding sealer, clear coat.

I was thinking of either doing a satin finish or tung oil.....

I think that is a great piece of timber. Couldn't ask for a straighter grain, Barn near Perfect. 

I just ordered another custom swamp ash body. I'll be well pleased if it's as nice as that one.

Wish it was a lefty :toothy12:

willyk said:

I swear, when I hit the Texas Lottery, I gonna pick you up, take you up to Southpaw Guitars, and let you go hog-wild, all on my dime.

(I was going to put a smiley here, but nuthin' happens when I click 'em...)

RLW said:
willyk said:

I swear, when I hit the Texas Lottery, I gonna pick you up, take you up to Southpaw Guitars, and let you go hog-wild, all on my dime.

(I was going to put a smiley here, but nuthin' happens when I click 'em...)

You got a deal!    :blob7:        :headbang:        :eek:        :laughing11:        :laughing3:        :laughing7:        :toothy10:        :toothy12:        :hello2:        :laughing8:        :eek:ccasion14:        :guitaristgif:        :cool01:        :party07:             

I have got to agree with these fine gentlemen...I think she's right purty!  I do know what you mean though, the grain patterns on swamp ash differ wildly.  When I bought the body for my strat, I got it off the showcase, and one thing that sold me on this one was that it was bursted on front and back, so the sweet grain of the ash is quite visible on the backside! 

I don't like all Swamp Ash grain figures either... that's why I ordered mine from the Showcase.
But I really like this one though!!

Back