What OTHER cool things can you wire w/ a mini toggle?

ChrisMC

Hey all, so as I’m waiting for my neck and body to arrive (I’m at about the halfway point), of course I’ve been brainstorming with how exactly I’m going to wire my two humbucker Soloist, and I think I’ve more or less decided, but wanted to ask here to see if there’s anything I haven’t thought of that might be cool.

So I’m doing a 5 way blade switch as follows:

1. Bridge humbucker full
2. Bridge split with south coil active
3. Neck and bridge split with inner coils active
4. Neck split with north coil active
5. Neck humbucker full

I’ll have a blower switch/straight to output switch wired to the bridge pickup via an on/on DPDT mini toggle.

And then I’ll have a treble bleed bypass switch via an on/on DPDT mini toggle (removes the treble bleed circuit when engaged, for when you WANT it to get dark when you roll down the volume, which sometimes is a desirable tone).

Master tone

Master volume

What other things have you tried via mini toggle (or push/pull pot...DPDT, same thing, I just very much dislike push/pull pots because they’re hard to pull in a live situation while holding a pick).

I was just curious. Thanks!

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29494.0
Check out the wiring diagram.  5 plus a three way mini switch
15 ways to get 9 different sounds.  I found I only use 6.
Fun nonetheless.
index.php

Hi ChrisMc your blower switch with a DPDT will not work with the rest of your wiring for a 4 wire Humbucker if you are doing splits in the rest of your circuit. You need a 4PDT switch. I posted in one of your other threads a link to some articles that I had written which show how to do this.

Something else you could do with a DPDT is for example in position 3 have the ability to have both humbuckers full or both humbuckers split.

stratamania said:
Hi ChrisMc your blower switch with a DPDT will not work with the rest of your wiring for a 4 wire Humbucker if you are doing splits in the rest of your circuit. You need a 4PDT switch. I posted in one of your other threads a link to some articles that I had written which show how to do this.

I was concerned about that, with the splits, BUT I figured that IF that was an issue, then certainly at least one of the two dozen or more online articles I read would have mentioned it as a caveat or in the “fine print”, but apparently not. This is not good, because it means I actually have zero clue how to wire that up. I’ll jump online and grab a couple 4PDT’s; they’re inexpensive....now I literally have to go back to the drawing board.

stratamania said:
Something else you could do with a DPDT is for example in position 3 have the ability to have both humbuckers full or both humbuckers split.

That’s cool, it is, that’s the one position I’m missing (all four coils on at once), but 1) I hardly ever actually use that position, and 2) I read somewhere that if your guitar has more than two mini toggles, especially if they’re lined up in a row, you will instantly get transported back to 1986 as soon as you play your first pinch harmonic.

If you have a 4 wire humbucker and want to do splits then you need a 4PDT one pole per wire to switch each wire with a Blower Switch. The link I provided in the other thread to the articles I wrote shows the wiring and the logic behind it.

Never understood not using both coils of both humbuckers at the same time.
Roll both vols down to 7. Run your bridge pup time down to say about 8. Now plug into a Plexi  (or other Marshall whose gain is set appropriately). Instant  honk with a brighter speaker. Think Allman Bros LAFE.

Honk is to LPs what quack is to Strats.

stratamania said:
If you have a 4 wire humbucker and want to do splits then you need a 4PDT one pole per wire to switch each wire with a Blower Switch. The link I provided in the other thread to the articles I wrote shows the wiring and the logic behind it.

I glanced at it before but I’m not used to that type of diagram. After looking at it again, it’s really quite easy to understand, even without the description of what’s going on. It makes perfect sense actually. Now I know, and as G.I. Joe once said...knowing is half the battle. My 4PDT switches are on their way. Thanks.

Back