What Makes a Tele a Tele, A Strat a Strat and a LP an LP?

There is no right or wrong. We're individuals with different preferences.
I played a les paul for four years before I built my Warmoth Strat.
Nowadays, I'm using the Les Paul to collect dust.

For me the main focal point is the construction method and the scale length. A real LP, not the Warmoth version, has the angled set neck and the shorter scale. That is the heart and soul of what seperates a Gibson and a Fender, at least from the playing stand point. You can shape the body anyway you want, as long as you have a flat Strat neck pocket with normal Strat neck pocket depth and you have standard Strat scale the bridge is always going to be in that same spot, it's gonna feel like a strat. None of the easily modified things like humbuckers or singles, 6 screw or 2 point or any of the other stuff define a guitar. That's my thoughts anyway.

To me, the most noticeable thing that makes a strat a strat is the comfort of holding the body,
ohhh ... the same with the other 2, but change it to discomfort. :p

I just posted this at the other question, and it's the same answer, so:
This may seem odd and trivial if you haven't ever noticed it, but: the sharp edge not-forearm-contour is a great help to many people's playing. If you are one who locks their hand down on the face of the guitar somehow it's less important, but the hard edge "forearm rest" allows you to remove everything but the pick from contact with the strings (though a hint of palm muting can float a thousandth of an inch up). All the jazz guitarists with their rippin' closed-fist picking technique, and the burning flatpicking acoustic guys have a forearm rest to help them; hmmmm. This might not apply to the knee-rockers, but it is part of the essential "Tele-ness" of the thing and I immediately miss it when I'm playing a melted-lozenge guitar..

A Stratocaster might be more comfortable to sleep with, but the Telecaster shape might be putting your hands in a better playing position for some kinds of techniques.

Jcurl02 said:
Hey guys, this started out as a rhetorical question on a seperate thread but it got me thinking.....

What makes a Tele a Tele or a Strat a Strat or a LP an LP?

When you look at it, isn't a Tele and an LP just a single cut away? 

Isn't a Strat and a Soloist just a double cut away?  SG?

Is it the body shape?  Headstock shape? Is it the pickup setup?  Then what does a Tele Custom fall into?  Is it a comination of two or three attributes?

How about a Les Paul with a three single coils and a five way? (Never see one, have you?)

Most of us who've made our own creations take (what we desire or deam) to be the best of each design and creat our own.  So, what what makes it what it is?

(I think for simplisticity's sake, we mostly fall in to the body to pick the style)

Here is a test....  Here is my vintage 80's Gretsch BST 1000.  (If you were to make a similar one yourself).  How would you classify it?  Tele, LP?    For years I said it was a less expensive version of a Les Paul.  Now-a-days I'm leaning towards a modified Tele. 

By the way, the Gretsch is SWEET!.  DiMarzio pups, zero fret, US Made.  I still have all the case candy and sales tickets as I'm the origianl owner!  My first electric!

Quality is what makes a Strat and Tele.  Lack of quality is what makes a Les Paul.  :toothy12:

On a more serious note, who knows?  The feel, sound, look, everything.  Why does a Fender feel like a Fender?  Why does a Gibson feel like a Gibson?  I think there are just attributes that nobody can really put a finger on.  Why do some people like Lamborghinis while others like Ferraris?  They're both Italian, fast, beautiful, exotic, etc.

In the end, I think it's just a matter of preference.  For me, personally, I've never met a Les Paul I've liked.  While I love the beefy necks on them, I just don't care for their particular shape, weight, balance, or overall feel.  For instance, I LOVE their distinct sound.  I can listen to a song and say, "Yep, that's definitely a Les Paul."  Unfortunately, there aren't enough attributes about the Les Paul to seal the deal.  With Fender, I just connect with them.  They're lighter, more comfortable, have a great sound, and they just feel better to me.

As for Teles, sure, I obviously liked one enough to buy one.  It has a nice tone and it's a gorgeous instrument, but we're not a match made in heaven.  Years ago I purchased it based more on the fact that it was a gorgeous looking, American guitar I liked the feel of, but didn't love the feel of.  It's my go-to guitar for playing some more relaxed stuff but it just doesn't make the cut for what I play the most (the heavy stuff).  Playing Metal with that guitar is like trying to play a country song on a Jackson King V; it just doesn't work.

I love everything about an American Strat.  I love the way they sound, feel, and play, but I just haven't gotten around to getting one.  When I do, I want a David Murray Signature model, or I'll build a Warmoth to similar specs; tremolo, 2 humbuckers, 1 single, etc.  While it wouldn't be a direct replica, it would certainly look the part.  David Murray's guitar is the one that made me stand up and take notice, making me want to play a guitar and want a Fender.

...And then there are the radical designs; the Jackson Stars and Warriors, B.C. Rich Warlocks, Ironbirds, and Biches, etc.  These guitars look amazing to me, and they balance very well with me.  I love the image, and I love some of their sounds.  They just really "pop" with me.  I just find them to be very comfortable the way they rest in a classical position while I'm sitting, yet fall with a nice balance while standing.  I also like the position in which my picking hand rests on their bodies and how the knobs are not in my way.

In the end, Strats, Teles, and LPs be damned, give me another radically designed, pointy guitar!  :toothy12:

Justinginn....  Are you calling me OLD? :laughing8:  It's OK I am!

The BST1000's are amoung the last US built Gretschs.  Mine was produced around 1981-83.  Can't remember exaclty without pulling the paperwork or pickgaurd to get he serial number.  I don't want to pull the pickguard as it has only been removed once and that was in the late 80's to tighten a loose three position switch. 

I believe it is a mahagony body stained and glossed.  It has a maple bolt on neck with what I believe to be a rosewood fretboard.  It has DiMarzio humbuckers (three position swithc) and a single tone and single volume.  The Zero Fret is kind of a neat feature.  It is right after the nut.  I imagine you don't have to be as accurate on the nut with a zero fret.

I bought it from an over priced family owned music store in Sandusky Ohio while in highschool.  Traded my first acoustic in on it and basically ended up paying more with the trade (don't ask). 

I was never in a band or anything like that, just played for fun in my room.  However, I had friends that played in bands and they had everything from Fenders to Ricks.  They told me many a time that they would rather play my BST1000.

I've only seen one played in a band setting.  That was in Cancun Mexico. 

I remember paying $250 for it back in the 80's.  I've seen some on Ebay listed anywhere between $500 and $1000.  If you read the reviews, they say that its a pretty nice guitar.  Mine is still in near new condtion.  It has a very little bit of buckle rash but other than that.....  like new.  If anyone finds a good write up on it, please forward me a link.

This is the first on my now ever growing collection.  As soon as I get a god picture I'll start a thread of Family Pictures!  Here is an old one WITHOUT my Warmoth "Tele" and my Martin D18 autographed by Gordon Lightfoot.

Attachments

• Family Picture.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 237
Jcurl02 said:
Justinginn....  Are you calling me OLD? :laughing8:  It's OK I am!

The BST1000's are amoung the last US built Gretschs.  Mine was produced around 1981-83.  Can't remember exaclty without pulling the paperwork or pickgaurd to get he serial number.  I don't want to pull the pickguard as it has only been removed once and that was in the late 80's to tighten a loose three position switch. 

I believe it is a mahagony body stained and glossed.  It has a maple bolt on neck with what I believe to be a rosewood fretboard.  It has DiMarzio humbuckers (three position swithc) and a single tone and single volume.  The Zero Fret is kind of a neat feature.  It is right after the nut.  I imagine you don't have to be as accurate on the nut with a zero fret.

I bought it from an over priced family owned music store in Sandusky Ohio while in highschool.  Traded my first acoustic in on it and basically ended up paying more with the trade (don't ask). 

I was never in a band or anything like that, just played for fun in my room.  However, I had friends that played in bands and they had everything from Fenders to Ricks.  They told me many a time that they would rather play my BST1000.

I've only seen one played in a band setting.  That was in Cancun Mexico. 

I remember paying $250 for it back in the 80's.  I've seen some on Ebay listed anywhere between $500 and $1000.  If you read the reviews, they say that its a pretty nice guitar.  Mine is still in near new condtion.  It has a very little bit of buckle rash but other than that.....  like new.  If anyone finds a good write up on it, please forward me a link.

This is the first on my now ever growing collection.  As soon as I get a god picture I'll start a thread of Family Pictures!  Here is an old one WITHOUT my Warmoth "Tele" and my Martin D18 autographed by Gordon Lightfoot.

Am I imagining things, or is that an acoustic B.C. Rich?

You are correct!!!  It is an acoustic BC Rich......  Not the worlds greatest but it was m secod real guitar....  Notiice a trend here?  I buy and can't bring myself to sell!

Jcurl02 said:
You are correct!!!  It is an acoustic BC Rich......  Not the worlds greatest but it was m secod real guitar....  Notiice a trend here?  I buy and can't bring myself to sell!

I didn't even know B.C. Rich made acoustics...EVER!  Please post some close-ups of it, I've NEVER seen one! 

Are they USA models?

Give me a day or so to get some pictures.  It was bought in the US but memory serves it wasn't built here.  I'll get as much data and picts are possible.

Body shape is all that matters!! a tele with 2 humbuckers is "a tele with two humbuckers", not "a les paul in tele shape"!!!

pabloman said:
Uncle Jessie used to play a black B.C. Rich acoustic on Full House :headbang1:

Haha...John Stamos.  I'm still wondering how he let that hottie he was married to get away...  :icon_scratch:

Jerry O'Connell FTW.  :laughing11:

LP's have several things that contribute to their unique tone.
Angled headstock, shorter scale length, break angle over the bridge saddles, tenon neck joint, body mass, the list goes on.  Big mahogany body with 3/4" thick maple cap alone can have a huge signature on the tone.

Hey Daze of October,

Sorry it's taken so lonmg to get some pict of the BC Rich Acoustic up.  I've beena little under the weather this week.

Here are a coouple of Picts.  Nothing special.  I see there is a sticker on the headstock / neck area that says Made in Korea.  I found my origian receipt for it as well.  I bought it in Frazer Michigan (Detroit) back in 1988 as a Thanksgiving gift to myself.  (I had recently graduated from college and was not going home for this Thanksgiving as I could not afford the flight to Florida where my family lived and had no vacation days to use).  I got it with a tweed case for $259 and the case still has it's price tag on it at $149!!!  Pretty cheapo guitar.  But still in like new shape!

I've been toying with donating it to a school or church but can't bring myself to split up the family.

I'm going to start a new string asking for family pictures and I mean guitars!  I need to get some if only for insurance purposes.

Attachments

• DSC01810.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01811.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 232
Jcurl02 said:
Hey Daze of October,

Sorry it's taken so lonmg to get some pict of the BC Rich Acoustic up.  I've beena little under the weather this week.

Here are a coouple of Picts.  Nothing special.  I see there is a sticker on the headstock / neck area that says Made in Korea.  I found my origian receipt for it as well.  I bought it in Frazer Michigan (Detroit) back in 1988 as a Thanksgiving gift to myself.  (I had recently graduated from college and was not going home for this Thanksgiving as I could not afford the flight to Florida where my family lived and had no vacation days to use).  I got it with a tweed case for $259 and the case still has it's price tag on it at $149!!!  Pretty cheapo guitar.  But still in like new shape!

I've been toying with donating it to a school or church but can't bring myself to split up the family.

I'm going to start a new string asking for family pictures and I mean guitars!  I need to get some if only for insurance purposes.

Hope you're feelin' better.

BTW, you mention you're toying with the idea of getting rid of it.  Is it an electric?  Does it have a lot of fret buzz or is it fairly decent?  Reason asking is because I own an electric acoustic (Epiphone) and it's horrendous.  I want something I can record with.

Depending on if you decide to sell it and what your asking price is, I may be interested. 

Feeling much better, thanks!  A cold thing has been going around town.  Last about three days or so.....

The BC Rich is not bad.  Not a lot of fret buzz or anything bad to say about it but it isn't really worth selling.  By the time you paid for the shipping and I got a little out of it I think you'd be better off finding something near your home.  If you lived closer, I'd suggest you stop by and see it if you were still interested. 

Better yet, I'd loan you one of my others to record with.  I also have an Applause Acoustic Electric (I got for free when I bought a Les Paul from Musician's Friend).  It is the cheap version of the Ovations.  Sounds pretty good.  YOu can pick one up at Musician's Friend pretty cheap.  I have a Takamine Acoustice / Electric.  Santa Fe Ediditon.  Real nice!  I also have a Fender 12 String.  Or the best of the all, the Martin D18 (acoustic only but I have a removeable pickup as well. 

I'd suggest you look at the local Pawn Shops.  I've picked up guitar and an amp at pawn shops and been pretty pleased.  You might be surprised what you find there.

First and foremost who makes them , then as far as the pickup thing , Gibson has made 3 pickup LP Customs  (Frampton made one famous)  . Both Fender and Gibson in thier recent years have come up with a myriad of permutations on the basic form of the 50's . Then there are all the wannabe's . 

The clones can be quite good , one of the reasons we build Warmoths .  The only issue I have with Warmoths Gibson clones are they have bolt on necks .. definetly NOT accurate, the same is true of a few others.  Still good instruments , but quite delusional to call them LP's  or SG's with bolt on necks ..

Back