What kind of mini-switch do I need?

I have an old bass that I'm wanting to fix up, and for the controls, I just want an on/off switch for each pickup, wired to the jack, nothing else.  Do I need a SPDT switch?  There are some that say they're on/on, and some that say just 2 positions.

What do I need? 

Also, is there a wiring diagram I could follow for just on/off switches?

Yes, I'm still a n00b when it comes to electronics.  ???

SPST switching will suffice, but SPDT switching is best. DPDT On/On switches are the most common and easiest to find, so that would be my preference. Simply leave the second poles open.

As for the wiring, there is something very important to note. Because you will not have pots, you will need a resistance at the jack to prevent having that "open cable buzz" sound, when both pickups are turned off. You have a choice in this. You may choose a resistance that simulates the load of a typical scheme, or you may use a very high resistance, in order to get the bright tone that direct-to-jack schemes are known for.

In any case, start with the following diagram and make a few changes. Firstly, disregard the pots, and just wire the output from the switches directly to the jack. Secondly, place your resistor between the tip and sleeve terminals of the jack. Lastly, in case it is not obvious, this diagram has three switches, but you simply omit one of them for a two-pickup guitar.
4352347184_85b5b0825b_o.png

Back