What is your favorite effect/pedal?

I read about a pedal called "Total Sonic Annihilation" in Guitar World a couple months ago...  They described it as the ultimate "What the f*ck was that?" effect.

I'd definitely like to try it...

But I don't have a current favorite, because all I have right now is the Boss TU-2, until I get some more moolah

I like most have a mountain of individual pedals, mostly boss. My fave of the boss is the 7 band eq. But the one I like the most is my Sony HR GP5 processor.. 200 presets with 7 effects per preset.......
61_0.jpg

RLW said:
I would love to check out a DAM 66, but criminy they're expensive!

They are expensive but hold value. Mine have actually increased in value since I have bought them!

Hey all,

I really like my new TC Electronic Nova Delay.  It has
a dedicated tap tempo switch so it's usable without
all of the hassle my Boss used to induce.  Very clean
tonally.  Lots of options and a few spots to save
user presets so you don't have to remember old
settings on the fly.  For $249 it was a steal.

Boogie2

delay.................delay..........delay.....delay...delay..delay

my rig looks like a combination of some, many, or all of these parts depending on how i feel and what I'm doing :p

n517473612_25151_6351.jpg

n517473612_344342_5.jpg

My favorite pedal is the one I'm going to buy soon. (this can be said anytime regardless of how many pedals I have)

My Boss GT-8. This piece of kit is just amazing in what it can do - and extremely practical. And there's nothing to stop me from combining it with more conventional pedals.
Also, sound guys love it because it doesn't make any noise on stage (at my last gig we also used v-drums - very popular decision!).

Currently considering a VG-99 as money allows, I'm going to start looping properly and would like a more varied sound. Oh well, so many toys to buy... Also a Whammy pedal and a POG would be very nice.

Electro Harmonix POG (Poly Octave Generator)

Wicked pedal.  Can add a Hendrix octave up.  Turn you r guitar into a Bass.  Church Organ, Hammond Organ.  If you dont have any of the octave on, but just crack the input level, it even fuzzes up nicely.
Awesome fun.

I too am a fan of the BYOC stuff.  I blame Ted 100%  :icon_thumright:

Here's a couple of my rarer ones...

DSCN1323.jpg

An Arbiter Treble And Bass Face, one of 3 known to exist worldwide. It's a sonic doorstop. Sometimes there's a reason why things are rare, and that reason is that they don't work. The other is Way Huge Camel Toe #008 of 25 built. Really fun pedal, but it can be a nightmare to dial in. Almost limitless variety of distortion on tap.

Great responses and soooo many options.  That is what makes it overwhelming.  Are fuzz effects different than things like the Boss super distortion pedal, which I already have?  I was afraid I'd fork out the cash only to discover that it is more of the same.

I have a Fender FM212 DSP amp which has a delay option built into that I use a lot, so I was thinking about a delay effect, but wasn't sure if it would be a step up from my amp.

And lastely what does a compression do to your sound?  I think I get it but can't imagine it.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

I'm really surprised that on a site like this, where so many of us build our own axes, that more of you aren't building your own pedals.

well.. unlike when I started building my warmoth guitar(s) I only had 3 guitars.  By the time I found BYOC I already had 15 pedals and an effects processor.

as cool as the pedals are they offer.  they aren't improvements on my pedal rig.

Warmoth is an impovement on my current collection of axes though.

there was ONE build I wanted to do with BYOC.
I wanted to put a phaser in a wah enclosure and bypass the LFO with a Potentiometer controlled by the expression pedal.  Lots of phasers have the option of using an expression pedal to control the rate of the sweep but the only pedal I know of that ever let you actually control the sweep itself on a phaser was done by morley.  And they didn't make very many, and it was 30 years ago.  So i guess I'll have to make my own.

Volitions Advocate said:
well.. unlike when I started building my warmoth guitar(s) I only had 3 guitars.  By the time I found BYOC I already had 15 pedals and an effects processor.

as cool as the pedals are they offer.  they aren't improvements on my pedal rig.

Warmoth is an impovement on my current collection of axes though.

there was ONE build I wanted to do with BYOC.
I wanted to put a phaser in a wah enclosure and bypass the LFO with a Potentiometer controlled by the expression pedal.  Lots of phasers have the option of using an expression pedal to control the rate of the sweep but the only pedal I know of that ever let you actually control the sweep itself on a phaser was done by morley.  And they didn't make very many, and it was 30 years ago.  So i guess I'll have to make my own.

BYOC makes ok products, but they're mostly paint by number.

David said:
I have heard good things about the GNX4, but it is a little intimidating.  I tend to go for the single purpose solutions.

I owned a GNX3 and it was just as easy as using almost any other pedal once you've used it for a few minutes. You can customize all of the settings but it was tons of presets that you can just switch between and assign to different buttons. I would definitely consider it.

Compression gives you more sustain and evens out your dynamics... it's a pretty nice effect.  Generally a set it and forget it thing that's used subtly, though as with everything, some people abuse it.  I was thinking of getting one but I don't know which.  Spaulding, your vote has been counted towards the DynaComp  :icon_thumright:

Yeah, I've tried some others and the Dyna-Comp is really just IT.

guitlouie said:
Yeah, I've tried some others and the Dyna-Comp is really just IT.

i can vouch for the dyna comp, also keeley electronics makes a compressor that like there modded pedals is supposed to be great.

The Keeley is like four times as expensive as the Dynacomp... which is lame, but hey, if it sounds THAT good...  I've also heard of the Analog Man CompROSSer, another boutique compressor... also expensive. Anyone try either one?

Anyone who needs a compressor pedal should listen the Barber http://www.barberelectronics.com/tonepress.htm If you find em in a store try every pedal you can. David Barber knows about tone :icon_thumright:

Back