What is your favorite effect/pedal?

David

I only have 2 pedals: an Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.  I like them both, but would like to try some other things.  There are so many options I thought I'd see what the favorites are here.  So If you had to pick just one or two, what would they be?

I used to have almost every effect there was.  I currently have a Digitech GNX4.  The sound I love the most is my axe plugged directly into my amp, however.  I may plug my Digitect into the effects loop for time-based effects.  The one thing it doesn't have, however, is  a phaser.  I need to get another phaser.

I have heard good things about the GNX4, but it is a little intimidating.  I tend to go for the single purpose solutions.

If you are searching for a boost/drive search YouTube for Xotic AC drive & BB Preamp. They are very transparent boosters/drives. I like Barber pedals also, I have the Direct Drive. There are many good pedals these days, you have many options.

Boss TU-2  :icon_biggrin:
bosstu-2big.jpg

Seriously though... I'm not an effects kind of guy... in fact I own zero effects at the moment.  There is one pedal I'm planning to buy, which I guess makes it my favorite... the Radical Red Reverberator (a boutique reverb stompbox).
343356741_a7ec893b3f.jpg

+1 to Xotic effects!  I have the RC Booster -cleaner than the AC, not as high gain as the BB.  Really worth the money.
I believe everyone should sit down for 15-20 min with a  Zvex Fuzz Factory at some point.  Probably my favorite effect.

I have a couple of stompboxes.  I don't use them that much.  I generally like to set things up and just play.  I have a Fuzz Probe, and it is a blast to play with in my opinion.  I like making a lot of noise and somehow getting the chaos back to a chorus.  The Pixies had that lasting effect on me.  But besides dirt boxes, a good wah is probably next on my list.  I have a nice one, but wahs are interesting beasts.  People tend to be very brand specific about them.  I just went with what sounded good to me.  I have read that some don't like fuzz pedals, some sound odd with single coils/humbuckers (ie they work well with one rather than the other), some are goofy with noise drops because they are not bypassed properly, and so on.  Other than that, a chorus pedal is nice if you play music that has that kinda effect in it.  The Boss Chorus CE-2 was one of the first.  I think that was the one Andy Summers used for quite a lot of the Police songs.  I like that it only has knobs.
Patrick

So many choices... here are some of my fav's in approximate order:

Budda Bud-Wah Wah Pedal - Like Hendrix but better
Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser - Thick Luscious Swirling Phase Shifting
Fulltone Fulldrive2 overdrive pedal - this beats out the OCD due to it's flexibility, everything from a light clip to full on saturation

Budda, Moogerfooger, and Fulltone are all boutique companies with incredible reputations so anything you get from them is likely to be stellar so long as it is the right effect for you.

You can me playing the Bud-Wah and the Fulldrive on my website www.adamsteinband.com . I don't use the Moogerfooger onstage anymore (it's too delicate and I need tap tampo control) but the rest of the stage rig is a PRS CE-24, T.C. Electronics G-System, Mesa Boogie Lonestar Amp into and THD 2x12 cab.

THE BEST PEDAL EVER - MXR DYNACOMP.  Seriously, even a touch really helps - you almost don't notice it at first, but you really do when it's accidentally off and you think "what's wrong with my amp"!  Especially with a strat.

I have a huge pile; but if I had to pick a single one I can't live without it would be the Dunlap Cry-Baby.

Aramat Soul Patch into a Way Huge Tone Leper. Instant "Volunteers"-era JormaTone.

spauldingrules said:
THE BEST PEDAL EVER - MXR DYNACOMP.  Seriously, even a touch really helps - you almost don't notice it at first, but you really do when it's accidentally off and you think "what's wrong with my amp"!  Especially with a strat.

Where do you put it in the signal chain?  Before everything, or after distortion and before delay/reverb, or something else?

My favorite pedal is not using any at all.  The sound of my 18 watter straight in the basis for everything.  If I had to choose one of my pedals to keep, it would probably be the Crowther Audio Hotcake.  It's not "transparent"...the famous buzz word I see everywhere, but it does color the sound in a nice way.  My second choice to keep on the pedalboard would have to be my Foxrox Octron.  That thing is just plain fun.

dbw said:
spauldingrules said:

Where do you put it in the signal chain?  Before everything, or after distortion and before delay/reverb, or something else?

There are 2 schools of thought about where to put comp. Most often you will see it before distortion/boosters, but there is a rising tide that likes compression after gain. I like it after every pedal, actually after my amp gain, that is, I have a compressor in the loop of my amp. Really helps keep everything tame and controllable, gain wise.

I would love to check out a DAM 66, but criminy they're expensive!

Back