What guitar picks does everyone use?

Well, the interesting thing to me is that you don't have to decide. It's cheap enough to like several ones, and especially if you're playing different gauges of stings on certain guitars, 12-strings, acoustics... ever try playing bass with a Dunlop Jazz III? 
:laughing11: :laughing7: :laughing3: :laughing7: :laughing11:

Don't... I'm pretty sure they're no good for "Pinball Wizard" either. I think the cleanest, quietest picks for recording are still the old celluloid, but they wear out pretty fast live.

543083_3650412468130_1912605834_n.jpg

Here is the review I promised of Swiss Picks.

I just started trying out a new pick design. Pete, the owner of Swisspicks, posted about them on The Gear Page a few days ago, and out of curiosity I ordered some. Their main design feature and differentiating characteristic is that they have a few differently sized holes in them with raised ridges around the holes. And to keep with the Swiss cheese theme, they are colored a suitably cheesy light yellow color. They are at present only offered in one thickness - .8mm. But I understand that Pete is working on a 1.1mm thickness. Here are my findings so far:

What I like:

They do stay put in your grip pretty well due to the raised-rim holes- that's the main design feature and it seems to work.

The raised edges had me holding the pick with a lighter grip than usual. I think this is good for better control and will probably keep the picks comfortable to use for long practices or gigs.

They are pretty quiet - there is hardly any "clickiness"like with some picks (notably V-Picks).

They engage the strings very smoothly. This, and their quietness in use are probably characteristics of the material they're made of - which is Delrin, I'm told.

The overall thickness and "feel" of the picks is good for me. And I like the amount of flex they have - just about right for me, but of course others might find them too thin, or too flexible, or the opposite. And again, a greater selection of thicknesses would be good.

The color makes them easily visible if you drop them.

What I'm not so sure about:

The raised edges, while good for a secure grip, also seems a little distracting since I'm not used to them. This might not be a problem if I used them all the time on all my guitars, and did get used to it. This doesn't seem to adversely affect my playing though.

Are they going to replace my Gravity Classics? Well, I'm gong to use them for a few more days to see if I can get used to the ridges, and then we'll see. One of the reasons I like the Gravity picks is that they don't twist around in my grip either. And with the smooth surface like most picks, I don't think about them or notice them when I'm playing. With the Swisspicks I'm conscious of them - which is a distraction I don't like. I'm sure that a lot of research and trials went into the current design, but I almost think I'd like them better if the ridges around the holes were less prominent (lower and thinner).  But like I said, we'll see after a few days.

Are they worth trying out? Definitely. I think they're a good product, and might be just what you need for a pick.

swisspickspkgshot.jpg

swisspickvu1.jpg

Cagey said:
Luke said:
Tusq Picks.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=22

Interesting. Didn't know they made such a thing. I just ordered some to see how they work out.

Hate to necropost, but this subject hardly needs a new thread.

I just shattered the 3rd Tusq pick tonight. They're nice parts, and impart a nice tone to your picking. They make it especially easy to pull off pinch harmonics, as they have a nice snap to them so you can more easily bounce the string off your thumb. They also seem to wear slowly, so you get a consistent feel out of them. Problem is they're very brittle, and you get no warning about breakage. They just sorta shatter when you least expect it. I mean, a big chunk will snap off as if it's glass or something, and the pick is useless. You gotta toss it and grab another RFN, as you aren't going to continue with what's left between your fingers.

So, I'm back to Mr. Dunlop's Ultex and Tortex picks. Long record of good results with those.

My favorite so far is the Dunlop Gator Grips, 2.0mm, but I'll try any pick.  I have a few interesting ones, like an engraved stainless steel one, and one made of rosewood, I believe.

I love the gator grips too. I use the .96mm ones.

417R96-2.jpg

Not sure what it is I like about them over the Tortex though to be honest.

I have some of those TUSQ picks.  I like them okay, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get those over Dunlops.  I haven't had one break on me (yet).  I generally use either Jazz IIIs or Jazz III Max Grip carbon fiber when I'm playing electric and Tortex thins if I'm strumming on my acoustic and don't plan on fingerpicking a whole lot, but...

What are the weirdest ones you guys have?  I've got:

- buffalo horn
- rosewood
- onyx (I think it's onyx anyways, I'm not a stone expert)
- one my husband ground for me out of a squashed penny from Pirates of the Caribbean
- one of those weird felt picks that mandolin players use
- my friend just sent me a set of picks from Scotland - one of them has a picture of haggis on it
- I have one I caught at a Supersuckers show that says "You owe me a quarter."

Sometimes I take paper and fold it a bunch of times and then use the corner with all the loose paper as a pick.  It sounds kind of weird, but I like it for strumming on occasion.  Those cheese ones are interesting, but I think if I used them, they would make me hungry.

Just dug through my pick box...  Found a Silverchair "Across the Night" Tour 2003 pick that I got back when I was a fan club member...  And a James Hetfield black fang pick that I can't for the life of me remember how I got...  Probably in a magazine or something.

I'll use just about anything. For years it was the Fender celluloid, though they like to tear, snap, or just shatter (but setting fire to a pile of busted picks is amusing :icon_biggrin:).

I've tried just about every shape, from mini "jazz" to big triangles, & keep coming back to the classic "Nick Lucas" shape.

For the past ten years or so, I generally gravitate to Dunlop, usually Tortex, usually Sharps, usually 1.14 mm purples (though there's various blue & green scattered around). I use 'em for everything: acoustic, electric, mando, metal, jazz, folk. They force me to be more accurate -- you could practivally dig through stone with these things -- without the annoying "flap" of thin flexible picks. My only complaint is that they COULD be a little rougher for better grip, though they're a HUGE improvement over shiny celluloid.

I loved the pink Gator picks for the material, but I always had to reshape them. Now all I use is Jazz IIIs. Either the small black, the XL model or the black Ultex I just discovered, and which I find really great.

I had a small order show up from Warmoth today, and taped to the packing list was a black pick with Warmoth's logo on it. Measures 65mm thick, and feels like Delrin (or whatever Dunlop's Tortex picks are made of). It's a little lighter than what I'm used to, but these kinds of picks just go in the collection rather than get used, so it hardly matters.

Damn right hardcore! 

(Seems I was off a couple orders of magnitude there  :icon_scratch:)

I meant .65mm, I think.

You don't see it here much, but on some forums that are populated with members who have less than stellar grammar/writing skills, you'll get some pushback from the grammar nazis about punctuation, capitalization, etc. Then, the criminals who commit such heinous infractions always want to say "What difference does it make? You know what I meant!" Except, like in this case, where a period/decimal point makes a helluva lotta difference. Capitalization is important, too. Consider the two phrases...

Yesterday, I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.

Yesterday, I helped my Uncle jack off a horse.

Wildly different meanings, yes?

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting they were including such things in their packages now. Another musical gear supplier here - Sweetwater - always throws in a little bag of hard candies. Personally, I've included microfiber polishing cloths, clamp-on tuners, and BuckyBalls with orders, depending on what I've had around at the time. Don't know how much longer that's gonna last - I got some incredible (and non-repeatable) deals on those things.

I'm pretty late to this party but Red Bears really are the best. You can hear the difference, but it's not the tone that makes them best for me. They have absolutely no flex, and they wear exceptionally well. I'd recommend (for any brand) a triangle shaped pick. Red Bears CII or V-picks medium pointed would be fine examples. For starters, a tri pick is completely symmetrical, which means that if the pick shifts in your hand, any point will work just as well. Even better, when one tip wears down, you have 2 fresh ones waiting, literally tripling the value of the pick. As one final point, the triangle shape is very versatile - like a Jazz III, it has a sharp tip but with a wide gripping surface, making it great for both strumming and precise technical playing

-Rory

I find the 346 classic triangle to be a bit too big for my fingers to curl around, but - it's a great shape for modification! I like to flatten the sides a bit and move each rounded side in about 1.5mm, then put three different points on it. Right now it's a tossup between Ultex 1.14mm, Clayton Acetal 1.26mm and the best-sounding, celluloid D'Andrea's. They wear out fast, but when you need to sound good (gigs) the stuff can't be beat. It'll notch up if you play really hard. I'm currently working through some 1.5mm, but next time around I want to try the 1.21mm's... I get pretty dweeby about this stuff.

http://www.bigcitystring.com/celluloid.htm

When I first started learning theory and got a copy of Di Meola's "Chords, Scales, and Arpeggios" book, in the intro he talked about picks and articulation in picking single notes. He suggested using the thickest, firmest picks you can handle and I started using Big Stubbies 3.0. Been using them ever since. It's still fun when I go buy a new pack and the guys at the shops always say with a surprised look, "You play a GUITAR with these?!"

I use Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature picks. Been using them at least 20 years now and anything else just feels strange to me. Not too concerned about which color I get as they'r all the same. My latest purchase of picks was buying a bag of 50 of the pearloid ones.
MULLY

cue7.jpg

Back