What do you all think?

alterbridgefan

I like a bargain, and the padouk tele necks are by far the cheapest tele necks in the showcase right now, unless you count unfinished maple. So I made this up, and I wanted to face the court of opinion, because I like it a whole lot.

I like the matched wood concept, but tele's aren't my thing. Nice to see some potential HB/split coil options you could do with that setup though! Go for it dude!

Much more fancy, more in the realm of fantasy. No way for me to have the money. I still think I like the first better though.

My neck - nobody steal it! :icon_jokercolor:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=TN5179&Body=1&Path=Neck
padouk.jpg

Good?

The specs:
Mahogany, cherry red finish.
Padouk neck(raw).
black pickguard(don't like how clear looks with the mahogany)
gfs pickups.

*Sigh...* I'll start saving. Only have $50 for this right now.

honestly i really like it. either of the mahogany, pickguard or not. i'm over maple caps. unless it's a ebmm axis flat top in an obnoxiously bright color like orange, amber or pink.... for some reason that guitar is beautiful to me. i guess i juse don't like maple in dark colors or with burst overs anymore...

I don't like it. Remember that the woods are going to change colors on you, and end up mismatching badly. You need a clear contrast, for that reason.

I took that into consideration, and tried darkening, lightening, and greying both the body and neck, I think it looks fine. :dontknow:

Thanks, dan. I like the mahogany too, it's different from your everyday "fancy" guitar.

I think we've been pretty good about not oppressing you because of you of your youth, Altar, by and large, but I will say this:

At some point it will occur to you that what you want -- and your reasons for wanting it -- won't need to vetted by the court of public opinion, because you will know yourself well enough to walk your own path.

That said - I'm not personally a fan of the red exotic woods, so an attempted body/neck match seems like too much of a thing I don't like much even in small doses.  If it's what you want, though, it is, by definition the right answer to the question of "is this a good idea?"  The input that's worth seeking at that point is about how well various bits and pieces function, whether they are likely to provide value (once you define what's valuable to you), and so on.

I also agree with Joseph that the different chunks of padauk will likely age and discolor differently from one another, so you could end up with a red guitar with a brown neck, or vice versa, or two different shades of brown.

I originally wanted a paudouk body for my jazzmaster, but decided against it because of the color instability, and because walnut can be very pretty if it's figured, :dontknow: it's your choice.

One tip I've taught myself is that choosing something because it's cheap doesn't usually leave me satisfied. I've done it a few times and the convenience of getting what I wanted sooner usually hasn't been worth the way I thinking about what I wish I could've changed. If I just think naturally I'm the exact same way you are: I like to plan based on a budget. However, I'd encourage you to take a step back and think about what exactly you want and then figure out how to make that happen. Every time I take that approach I wind up happier with the results.  :icon_thumright:

That being said, I don't think mis-matching woods is such a bad idea, if you're prepared for it. Just don't expect the great match you had at the beginning to last. Good luck.

Hmm.... The Fender fanboy in me wants a sunburst tele with a maple neck, but I want to try a raw neck, and mahogany is a good wood. I also like these guitars with other finishes, and I may go with a solid or transparent white or blue finish. Or black??? But I like padouk, and with the mahogany... And what about the same thing, jazzcaster style...

:dontknow:

Oh, bagman. If you'll notice, I often make threads asking for advice and go with the people who agree with me, even if no one does... :laughing7:

Does gfs make good kluson style tuners?

Altar said:
Hmm.... The Fender fanboy in me wants a sunburst tele with a maple neck, but I want to try a raw neck, and mahogany is a good wood. I also like these guitars with other finishes, and I may go with a solid or transparent white or blue finish. Or black??? But I like padouk, and with the mahogany... And what about the same thing, jazzcaster style...

So, buy a sunburst Tele body, and put a Canary neck on it. Characteristics are very similar to Maple, and it doesn't require a finish. Mahogany does.

Altar said:
Oh, bagman. If you'll notice, I often make threads asking for advice and go with the people who agree with me, even if no one does... :laughing7:

That makes no sense at all.

Altar said:
Does gfs make good kluson style tuners?

Nobody makes good Kluson-style tuners. It's not a very good design. The only reason anybody makes them is to satisfy the Luddites. Tuner design has improved dramatically over the years. Get some Schallers, Sperzels or Gotohs. You'll be much happier.

Altar said:
good kluson style tuners?
lol

If GFS is your source and you're set on 'em I'd go with the Wilkinsons http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Fender-Style-Nickel-Tuners-Six-for-Strats-and-Teles_p_891.html
If you're after older looks with real usability you've gotta cough up a little more dough: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html

Cagey said:
So, buy a sunburst Tele body, and put a Canary neck on it. Characteristics are very similar to Maple, and it doesn't require a finish. Mahogany does.
I don't as much like the look of canary, and if this were to appease my Fenderesque cravings, I would be compromising to use canary.

I do like sunburst, though...

you need  contrast, otherwise you end up with something like this..

My padouk neck is now completely brown on the front, but not on the back... I will take a pic of it later. it is kinda weird.

UW5711465.jpg

I'm hearing a lot of cries for contrast.  :icon_jokercolor:
blackwhiter.jpg

I've also heard that once you get used to a raw neck you can't go back. So as not to render my other babies useless...
bluetele.jpg

I do like this one. It meets my criteria for what I want in a guitar. I'm tempted to do it jazzcaster style.

Seems you'll get loads of opinion on the aesthetics of this project.  What I like is that it could really be a go-to guitar for a lot of different styles, from Stones to Stern.
The padouk can be left unfinished, and will still be stable.  So whether matching or contrasting (green body?  :icon_tongue:), I think you've got something here.

Back