What do I do for the next 10-12 weeks?

taez555

With the last few extra dollars I needed for my warmoth guitar coming from Santa(santa's I should say), I went aheadand placed my order today .

-One peice mahogany strat body with AAAAA quilted maple top.
-Contoured heel, HSH routing, Wilkinson trem, white pearl pickguard
-Green dye top, Trans green back, and black burst over.

-Maple Neck, Ebony Fretboard
- SS6105 frets, graphite nut, Planet Wave tuners

Pickups(didn't order from warmoth, sorry) :-(
- All white.  Duncan JB(bridge), SSL-1(mid), Stag Mag(neck)

- All chrome knobs and switches. (even the 5 way)

I'm gonna crazy wire it with 2 on/on/on for the humbuckers and an "all on" for the bridge, with a 5 way, to give it 31 possible pickup combinations.

Anyway.....

Since I've been dreaming day and night for the past, I don't know how many years, and have actually had an excel spreadsheet on my computer at work for the past two mapping out this guitar and pricing every last part....... 

What the hell do I do with myself for the next 3 months while I wait?  10 to 12 weeks means that from today, december 27th, it's not gonna get here till mid to late March.  Then by the time I set it up, sheild, wire, etc, etc... we're talking maybe April before I can finally play it.

Still... This is awesome...  :)    :cool01:

I ordered over and hour ago and I just can't sit still.  My heart is still beating a little fast.  Time to go have a beer and celebrate.

:)
erik

taez555 said:
With the last few extra dollars I needed for my warmoth guitar coming from Santa(santa's I should say), I went aheadand placed my order today .

-One peice mahogany strat body with AAAAA quilted maple top.
-Contoured heel, HSH routing, Wilkinson trem, white pearl pickguard
-Green dye top, Trans green back, and black burst over.

-Maple Neck, Ebony Fretboard
- SS6105 frets, graphite nut, Planet Wave tuners

Pickups(didn't order from warmoth, sorry) :-(
- All white.  Duncan JB(bridge), SSL-1(mid), Stag Mag(neck)

- All chrome knobs and switches. (even the 5 way)

I'm gonna crazy wire it with 2 on/on/on for the humbuckers and an "all on" for the bridge, with a 5 way, to give it 31 possible pickup combinations.

Anyway.....

Since I've been dreaming day and night for the past, I don't know how many years, and have actually had an excel spreadsheet on my computer at work for the past two mapping out this guitar and pricing every last part....... 

What the hell do I do with myself for the next 3 months while I wait?  10 to 12 weeks means that from today, december 27th, it's not gonna get here till mid to late March.  Then by the time I set it up, sheild, wire, etc, etc... we're talking maybe April before I can finally play it.

Still... This is awesome...  :)    :cool01:

I ordered over and hour ago and I just can't sit still.  My heart is still beating a little fast.   Time to go have a beer and celebrate.

:)
erik

I think it might take more then a beer to slow that heart rate.

excel?  same here, i thought i was the only one.
my computer had invalid software so microsoft thought it would cute if they locked me out of my OS, nothing a quick role back won't fix, but it kept happening, and i had some persistent spyware, so i reinstalled my os, and didn't have a valid copy of office, so no more spread sheets for me.

Man, that is so cool!  :headbang1: I also thought I was the only one to use Excel to verbally blueprint my Warmoth axes. I've got a workbook with my 8 (and counting) ideas. I even kept the spreadsheet for the Strat I already built (my profile pic). Hmm, Warmoth & Excel,...a winning combination.

:rock-on:

i'm lazy, and my cousin (#1 do all tech for bacon manufacturer) would kill me if he caught me, especially while using his software license.

yeah, i have to many ideas to keep track of, and it helps to put them into some tangible form, i could really use a copy of excel.
but i can wait its not a big hurry.

I really do love excel.  It doesn't help I work in accounting and use it every day, but....  :icon_smile:  I have it all broken out in sections for "body", "neck", "pickups", "hardware" etc.  Then I have formula's to calculate every subsection then also a final formula to give me a grand total cost estimate.

It really helps you visualize every last detail, and at the same time keep the cost in check.  I actually did my homework with this guitar to the point that I had shipping costs and everything factored in.    Since I made some last minute changes(I opted for AAAAAA vs AAA at the last minute), and actually found one thing cheaper, my cost estimate was only off by $15.

taez555 said:
I really do love excel.  It doesn't help I work in accounting and use it every day, but....  :icon_smile:   I have it all broken out in sections for "body", "neck", "pickups", "hardware" etc.  Then I have formula's to calculate every subsection then also a final formula to give me a grand total cost estimate.

It really helps you visualize every last detail, and at the same time keep the cost in check.  I actually did my homework with this guitar to the point that I had shipping costs and everything factored in.    Since I made some last minute changes(I opted for AAAAAA vs AAA at the last minute), and actually found one thing cheaper, my cost estimate was only off by $15.

Dude, that is scary! I work in accounting too and I write out excel spreadsheets for guitars the same as you; broken into sections and including shipping. Although I always find that a few surprise costs still show up once in a while.

:rock-on:

This is too funny.  I guess great minds think alike.  I have mine broken up into the major purchases (body, neck, and hardware) so I can get an idea of how much I need before I place each order.  Does this look familiar to anyone???

PrecisionBass.jpg

I also make a mockup of every guitar I design in Kisekae so I can get an idea of what it might look like.

taez555 said:
I really do love excel.  It doesn't help I work in accounting and use it every day, but....  :icon_smile:  I have it all broken out in sections for "body", "neck", "pickups", "hardware" etc.  Then I have formula's to calculate every subsection then also a final formula to give me a grand total cost estimate.

this is scary,  I do the same thing, so if l change an item, or find it cheaper it adds it up for me. and i sections every thing so i know all the options on the body and neck, all the hard ware, and how much it'll cost to get a working neck (all the hardware included) or body.
and i'm thinking of a job in accounting, but am scared to death of it now.

yep i've done that too. makes sense.

although i've never totalled up the final costs after building it. I like to think it worked out at about £700 ($1400) but its more likely to be £1000> :toothy11:

I use the Kisekae thing all the time, mainly to test an idea out to see if it's worth costing. Don't use Excel though - I'm a writer and designer, so no good with spreadsheets. I just use a list in Notepad with the costs added up on the PC's calculator!

Excel is probably the greatest program ever created, by a long shot too.

I have used it for many things and can't believe I haven't created a Guitar building spreadsheet like dudesweet,

would act as a good checklist when ordering parts too.  :eek:ccasion14:

This is crazy. I've got a spreadsheet on my desktop with about 6 sheets on it, each for a separate guitar. And Kisekae is great, I really think Warmoth should pay for and expand that thing, make it part of the W website. Pretty sure it's just an amateur kid in Japan who isn't making a dime off of it. I honestly think it would increase their sales.

I am waiting for my parts to arrive (they should arrive sometime in february) and wasn't planning to register until then, basically a lurker  :eek:)

But I felt so identified with this thread that I just had to register inmediately!!, I too planned my axe step by step using excel, the guys at warmoth are very open to this kind of planning and I didn't have to fill any order forms, I just sent them a printed version of my worksheet. I lost it because of a nasty virus but the order was already placed at the time (I must have it somewhere on my mail account). It's going to be a Cherry Burst Cream bound Soloist with zebras and a Wilkie, I'll be posting pics when I get it.

P.S. I too am an accountant, go figure.

Back