what bass strings do you use and why?

bpmorton777

Ive owned my Guild B301 for about 20 years. It's seen about four or five string changes. Ive used RotoSound Swing bass round wounds for it in the past because I like a bright sounding string...they just dont last that long. Ive also used the cheap house brand that Starving Musician sells.  what do you use and how long do they last you before you have to get a new set put on.

Brian

Dean Markley Ground Wounds. A set has been on my P-Bass since '78 and they're still going strong.

Wow, bass strings really last, huh.  Do you take them off and clean them?  How often?

I've had the same set of Blue Steels on my Ibanez for about 6 years now and they still sound good.  I'm not much of a 4-stringer though.  :dontknow:

Depends on the bass and the type of sound I want.

F Bass, fretless - LaBella SuperSteps - because the saddle is cut for them. (Acoustic style bridge.)
Bee Bass, fretted - SIT PowerSteels - bright, punchy and good even string tension
Yamaha, fretted - D'Addarios XLs - too bright, will change back to Dean Markley Blue Steel or SR2000s - good clarity and even string tension
Warmoth PJ - Rotosounds - wanted a bit more grind, may switch back to flatwounds
Warmoth Gecko - D'Addario XLs - cause we had them in stock, will switch to something else next time.  Might try Nickel wounds for a bit less highs.

I change strings when they sound exceptionally dead to me. Except for the flatwounds of course!

I use Elixirs on my Tobias, just because I got hooked on the feel a ways back. I use DR's otherwise. Most of their strings are very good, but I stick to Hi-Beams or Black Beauties. Right now there are Hi-Beams on my Warmoth bass.

I use Elixers on the fretless so I don't have to muck with dressing the board, and DR's on the fretted.  I can't remember what kind of DR's, just the plain ones the shop near me carries.  They don't tend to break unless I decide it is time to brush up on my Flea inspired Higher Ground technique.
Patrick

bpmorton777 said:
dosnt look like DM makes ground wounds anymore, just flat wounds.

Brian

Zipped over to JustStrings.com and it appears you're right. Bummer.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
RLW said:
bpmorton777 said:
dosnt look like DM makes ground wounds anymore, just flat wounds.

Brian

Zipped over to JustStrings.com and it appears you're right. Bummer.
Alot of things can happen in thirty years.

Ouch!

I use RotoSounds on my only 4-stringer.  I love the tone and they last long enough for me.

Currently Fender 7350 stainless rounds on 3 P basses and my Bison. Fender 9050 stainless flats on 1 P bass and my walnut Warmoth J. The flats are 3 years old an still good as new. The life of the roundwounds depend on use but I don't change them very frequently at all.

D'Addario half rounds. A nice in between from round wounds and flat wounds. Bright enough for rock or country while still being mellow enough for jazz or ballads.

koshersteel said:
D'Addario half rounds. A nice in between from round wounds and flat wounds. Bright enough for rock or country while still being mellow enough for jazz or ballads.

+1

Back