What are Fattest sounding woods for a Superstrat Body ?

Basswood is fat and resonant. Thunk thunk thunk. The scooped mids people associate with it is just the decade or so of knuckleheads that popularized basswood and how they set their amps.

Well, I have been educated in the properties of basswood, and I take back my comment.

Still, I would stick with rosewood or mahogany.

ROBERTKOA said:
I have a Carvin Koa now that's very resonant and thick sounding but still strat-like in single coil modes, lots of sustain and LOUD unplugged.

What wood could even beat this- I love resonance so if chambered is even fatter , include that.

May be H-S-S  or even H-S-H with coil cuts etc.  the idea is to get really fat from the WOOD itself, so we have Mahogany, Koa , Limba   which of these AND others ?

If it gets TOO Fat and doesn't fit your idea of a Superstrat - even better - we're talking FAT here .
 Hopefully - you've heard or made or played  some combinations that are great for this.

Thanks.

Still dunno if this wood is any good, but my new Jackson JS32 Warrior, which has a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard and a Cedro body ring pretty loudly when unplugged.  It's very surprising.  Since you mentioned that whole thing about a loud guitar when unplugged, I figured I'd post.

Anyway, I'm not sure how good this Cedro wood is, as it's the material of a $400 guitar, but it resonates louder when unplugged than my maple/maple neck and alder-bodied Warmoth.

Koa sounds awesome.  In terms of wood, there's been lots of good suggestions here.  One of the best is to get a fat neck - as fat as your fingers can handle.  And make sure your neck wood is "fat."  However, I do believe that a fat tone is usually more easily achieved by pickups, amps, and effects.

Seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Armstrong-Pickups-Motherbucker-Humbucker/dp/B0006ZNBSM
41G6VUtO4qL.jpg

How about this?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Loudmouth-Pickup-EXTRA-POWER-with-vintage-Tone-_c_130.html
thumbnail.asp

Honestly, a little too fat for my taste, but knock yourself out!  Alternatively, get a really nice overdrive pedal like the Fulltone OCD, or turn on some delay.

David

Back