what????? another guitar amp

givememytoys

thats what my wife said to me about this latest purchase.
i had a 100 watt version of this in the early 90s sold it to get one of the verry first 5150s. allways regreted that move. so i found this one i had been watching these on ebay on and off forever. when this one came up i just couldnt help myself it was only $400.00 shipped and is dead mint. the guy i bought it from only had it a short time. looks like it was just made .the clean is verry fender like and the lead channel is great. it will nail zz top tone and can be pushed even heaver with my favorite booster/gain pedal. this is by far the absolute most underated head ever made. between this and my mesas. im really spoiled. anyhoo heres a pic.
peavey002.jpg

peavey001.jpg

Congratulations man. I have a similar story, which is I had the classic 30 combo and traded it towards a 5150 head. I regretted that ever since.

I got a friend that swears by them.
He owns 6 or 7 Mesa Boogies, etc... but LOVES his CLASSICs.
I think he has at least one of every model out there, head/cab and combo.

Here's mine:
peavey_classic3.jpg

peavey_classic4.jpg

PEAVEY_CLASSIC2.jpg

I'm not nutz about the 'DRIVE button, but it's decent. I really need to CRANK it to see what it'll do.....

you know what guys, I played through one of these for about an hour a few weeks ago. It sounded good, but nothing too inspiring. Do you find it has 'sweet spots' that I may have been missing?

I told my wife, I want as many amps and guitars , as you have pair of shoes, she shut up.

Nathan the thing I loved about the amp was the spring reverb it had. The distortion sounded great and with some that reverb it really to life for me.

nathan a said:
you know what guys, I played through one of these for about an hour a few weeks ago. It sounded good, but nothing too inspiring. Do you find it has 'sweet spots' that I may have been missing?

How loud did you get it? They are ridiculously loud for 30 watts and need to be cranked big time.

Hmm that's probably a big part of it then. It was guitar center, so i had the "slowly turn it up, sales guy makes you turn down, slowly turn up, sales guy..." scenario.

Nice.  What are you using for a cab?  And, what sort of Warmoth guitar is sitting in front there?

I got a Jack Daniels Classic 30, and it is a tone monster.  I really underestimated Peavey - maybe it was something to do with the cheesy 80's lettering.  :laughing7:  I really like the reverb on the classic 30 too - very natural sound.

Alfang said:
I told my wife, I want as many amps and guitars , as you have pair of shoes, she shut up.
The problem is when she says that she want to spend the whole money of yours guitars/amps in shoes... :icon_biggrin:

nathan a said:
Hmm that's probably a big part of it then. It was guitar center, so i had the "slowly turn it up, sales guy makes you turn down, slowly turn up, sales guy..." scenario.

I hate shit like that. Damn morons who don't even play (some guitar center employees) don't understand it. If I'm going to buy an amplifier you're damned right I'm going to turn the sonofabitch up and hear what it sounds like cranked. You got to get a feel for the amp and try to locate that sweet spot before you know you want to buy it. Of course there are some fools out there that are just going to go by what they were told and not bother formulating their own opinion.

Hell yeah!  I bought my Mesa Boogie off of this guy who practiced in the same building as my band.  It was three o'clock in the am, we had both been drinkin, but your damn skippy I'm not buying an amp without playing at or near volume!  I fired that thing up and played till the sun came up.  I had to go find him the next day because he had gone off to bed sometime in there, but I was like here's the cash my man......  Buying second hand has it's benefits!!!

dude peavey is where it's at, I just don't like their triple x stuff. Anything else they came out with is great. Well I did own a 50/50 EL84???? 100 watt mono block. El84's are a bit spongy, great for leads though.

I've been gigging with a Classic 30 head for a decade or so now. The Marshall and Mesa/Boogie stay out at the farm, they're too erratic and expensive to maintain. The last time I had a wiring question for Bill Lawrence he got off on one of his raps (these have to be heard to be believed, he wired guitars for EVERYBODY (Clapton, Hendrix, Beck, he turned down Fender's request to design pickups for Eric Johnson & Van Halen cause they're too spaced out). Anyway, he considers the Peavey Classic 30 to be one of the best amp designs ever - all of the voltages are just right to push tubes, without killing them early. They're hugely susceptible to sounding different with different types of tubes, which is a good sign - if one is off-sounding, it just need a tuneup, unlike a JCM900 or something where you can't figure what the hell's wrong with it. Everything you do with your guitar knobs and pickups comes through on a Classic, they get tone without too many gain stages.

i totally agee about the smooth even /ness of the classics it sounds the same every time i plug in  i love it for a different sound it has im still really happy to have one agian

Is that an Xotic BB pedal that you have there? I was thinking of getting one. How do you like it?  The interviews on the Xotic site are very favorable. It is pricey, that's why I'm curious. I saw some on ebay for 100 or so.

Thanks!

Back