what amp to get....

sundin4prez

so i'm going to be buying a new amp soon....
at a local dealer i can get both of these for the same price , but the catch is they will have to order so i wont be able tp try it before i take it home

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

so what do you guys think is better????              by the way i play pink floyd , rush , clapton etc...

A bit surprised to find an ethnic slur, if you will, in the product description for the Crate V Series V18-212 18W 2x12 ....

"A few years later, some crazed Limey decided to crank just such a combo into distortion and found it produced a brilliant, compressed sustain perfect for the blues."

is there a big difference between 18 and 50 watts??? also  is there a difference between a 1 12  speaker cabinet or a 2 12 cabinet

thanks.......

Yes, there is a difference...the 50 watter is based on 6L6 output tubes.  The 18 watter is class A with EL-84's.  Personally, I'd go with the 18 watter.

>>>>>>>>. Personally, I'd go with the 18 watter.

can you tell me why???? since this will be my first tube i know nothing about them

The 50 Watt amp is club range, the 18 watt will be more than enough to play just about anywhere.  The 2 x 12's also have the option of being able to put two different speakers in the cabinet if you get crazy ideas.

The different tubes and different output configurations will sound different.  Most likely the amp will come with cheap tubes in it.  There is a lot of info around on upgrades there.  But, that is more a personal thing.  There is also a difference in the sound of Class A and Class A/B output stage, like there is a difference between single coil pickups and humbuckers.  But once again, it is what sound you like.
Patrick

As someone who has the V33 head, I feel obligated to tell you, it is one of the loudest amps I've ever played with.  The biggest indoor venue I've ever played with it (700ish people) didn't get the volume knob past 12 o'clock.  Once just for giggles, I dimed it at practice.  I completely swamped the drummer AND the PA.  It really is that loud (through my Avatar 212), but the tone was awesome!  These cathode biased amps (the so called "class a") sound MUCH louder than their class AB counterparts.

If I were you, or if I knew how loud this amp would be in foresight, I would get the 18 watt 212.  You'll be able to crank it a bit more for that awesome, power tube saturation, and if you need more clean headroom than it can offer, than you play WAY too loud.  Also, the 212 will give you a bigger sound, not a louder one, which I happen to like.

Cheers,
Rose

Oh, and if someone will tell me how to upload sound clips to the site, I'll post a couple of my Warmoth Strat through my rig so you can get an idea of what the EL84 V-Series sounds like.

-Rose

click additional options
mp3.jpg

but then again, the attach feat. seams to not want to work for shit most of the times I've used it.

Ok, my band practices tomorrow, so I'll show up early and record some samples so you can hear my sloppy playing, lol.  Thanks for showing me how to post clips.

Cheers,
Rose

Another idea; get the dual 6L6 50 watter and also get a set of GT-TransTubes with a matched EL84 to swap for the 6L6s. For most usage you can crank the Trans-Tube setup - will output somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 watts; swap back the 6L6s if playing in a venue large enough to sustain 50 watt output volume.

I've been real happy with this setup in my Blues Deluxe, best of both worlds....

I like how you think Jack.  Now that you mention it, I'd go that route, and, "Why didn't I think of that."  More options, and ones I like.  It would cost a bit more, but in the end you will probably get where you want to go faster.
Patrick

Ok, here's a quick and dirty sound clip.  It's not great, but you sorta of get the gist.  The rhythm guitar is my Warmoth Strat in the neck or neck/mid position on the clean channel.  The lead is my Warmoth Strat in the bridge position on the dirty channel goosed with my Xotic RC Booster.  The mic didn't pick up the reverb as well as I had hope, but at least it's something.  My strings are also pretty dead, and I didn't have an extra set with me, so it's a bit dull b/c of that too, but anyway, here it is in all it's sloppily played glory.

i ended up ordering the 18 watter from my local dealer.......... i got it for $250 Canadian dollars , i think that i got quiet a deal.

Back