What’s your favorite solid paint color?

I am a sucker for Sherwood Green. I also like faded Fiesta Red aka “Tahitian Coral”.

Sonic Blue can be interesting… I’ve seen some original Jaguars where it’s almost an offensive shade of green due to the clearcoat yellowing and I kind of love it. The earlier post of the YJM seems much too dark to be Sonic Blue, could just be the photograph.

Reactions: u.9
If we are talking pure solid colors:
  • Surf Green is my #1 by far
  • Dakota Red

If we're also considering flakes, metallics, candy, etc
  • Candy Tangerine
  • Metallic Gold
  • Candy Purple
  • Candy Yellow

I am a sucker for Sherwood Green. I also like faded Fiesta Red aka “Tahitian Coral”.

Sonic Blue can be interesting… I’ve seen some original Jaguars where it’s almost an offensive shade of green due to the clearcoat yellowing and I kind of love it. The earlier post of the YJM seems much too dark to be Sonic Blue, could just be the photograph.
Oh good catch on the nitro aging! I wonder now if that's what's behind Lynch's tele looking slightly mint green yet sonic blue?

Good point about the darkness of the sonic blue in that pic. It's definitely darker than I'd want (and expect), just the first decent pic I found with a quick google image search for YJM strats in sonic blue with rosewood. That combination didn't exactly light up the internet!

A Sonic Blue Strat with white plastics, chrome h/w, and a rosewood fretboard is IMO as aesthetically perfect as a thing can be.

Shell Pink and Seafoam Green are up there too.

I had a Player Jaguar in Capri Orange and that looked great, only sold it cause I didn't really get on with the 24" scale.

I buy all my bodies unfinished because it's the only way I can afford to keep building them, and I really enjoy dying them, but if Arctic White ever comes back I'd be real tempted to do a Tele with chrome h/w and a black pearl pickguard.

I told my wife, next house we're gonna paint all the rooms classic Fender colors.

Among the solids offered by Warmoth, I'm a fan of Seafoam Green, Daphne Blue, and Vintage White. IMO these all look best with maple neck/fretboard.

In general, I prefer finishes that still show the wood prominently - but I have a family heirloom P-Bass in Antigua whose smoky burst vibes I find endearing.

Last edited:
As someone who has never owned a solid paint color instrument, I'd most likely go with Capri Orange.

My second choice would be Sonic blue with a Padauk neck. Sort of like the GT40 Gulf livery.

I have to confess I have more than one favorite solid color; it's probably whatever is on the current guitar being built. This is another exclusive Pinter color - It's called Spicy Mustard, a kind of unusual metallic nitrocellulose lacquer mix:
newe sb1-r body from Martin Bravo for sharing.jpeg

I like Fiesta Red very much, especially combined with Gold Hardware and Cream colored plastic parts.

I don't know about favorite, I guess I'm going to call it my '94 Strat in Torino Red. But what's on my radar for a build is something in the ballpark of Daphne or Sonic Blue, or Taos Turquoise. Maybe even Seafoam Green. Honestly, I'd love to get a full rainbow in light/pastel colors just to mount on the wall.

I've always wanted to reproduce a sonic blue w/rosewood, but I'd like to do this in a 24-fret, HH, locking trem guitar rather than a strat. I will of course scallop the fretboard, wouldn't be at all YJM style w/out that touch! So the vision is something like this aesthetically, but more like a soloist for features:
You can order a Strat with all those features, HH, 24 fret neck, Floyd Rose, etc... My only question would be about whether the neck humbucker would clear the 24 fret extension. If Warmoth doesn't have a solution, it would be relatively simple to DIY. Get the body with a universal route, then cut the neck pickup hole in the pickguard yourself.

I don't know about favorite, I guess I'm going to call it my '94 Strat in Torino Red. But what's on my radar for a build is something in the ballpark of Daphne or Sonic Blue, or Taos Turquoise. Maybe even Seafoam Green. Honestly, I'd love to get a full rainbow in light/pastel colors just to mount on the wall.

You can order a Strat with all those features, HH, 24 fret neck, Floyd Rose, etc... My only question would be about whether the neck humbucker would clear the 24 fret extension. If Warmoth doesn't have a solution, it would be relatively simple to DIY. Get the body with a universal route, then cut the neck pickup hole in the pickguard yourself.
Good point. I’m doubtful the 23rd and 24th frets would be comfortably within reach for me on a strat. With a contoured heel I can manage bends and vibrato on the 22nd, but it feels pretty close to my limit. Many bodies meant for 24 fret necks make it a breeze to reach them all. A soloist body would at least come closer than a strat even if not as comfortable up there as an Ibanez RG or JS, for example.

I’m doubtful the 23rd and 24th frets would be comfortably within reach for me on a strat.
Industry secret: You’re not supposed to have easy access to the 24th fret. In fact, you’re not even supposed to have a 24th fret. Leo didn’t give you one for a reason. Nothing but pain happens above the 22nd fret, which is why no song to ever grace the Billboard Top 100 has ever had a guitarist playing a note at the 24th fret.

And please refrain from telling me about Layla, it doesn’t count if it’s not fretted 😎👉👉

Back