Whammy Bar and Wah Pedal Q's ?

EddieDavis

Two Questions I would love some opinions/advice on...  Here we go!

1.  Any tricks for getting the whammy bar to both rest in a particular desired position AND to not have it be so firmly positioned there that it clicks when I pull it towards me?  It's currently resting at about 3 o'clock (see pic)  and I need it at more like 1 or 2.  Want it to stay put a little closer to the strings but move smoothly when I pull it back to use - no sticky.  What tricks are there that I can master this whammy bar positioning?

2nd Question:

I've had troubles playing live with my wah pedal.  I think it might be because my pickups are too high but would like to hear from others.  Because for normal playing my pickups are perfectly positioned.  But when I play with wah it tends to get way too hot when I open the pedal.  Tips? 

Thank you! :help:

Attachments

• IMG_20170626_225448.jpg
    IMG_20170626_225448.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 265
Am I assuming you are asking about the six screw tremolo arm in the picture?

If so, assuming the arm is itself of the screw in type does it have a small spring below the arm?

If not do a search for Fender tremolo arm tension springs.  If the arm is still lose in its threads a little PTFE tape may help or if it's not moving as well then a little lubricant may be of help.

What type of Wah pedal do you have?

If the pickups are properly adjusted (which they may not be) it sounds like the Wah is adding gain to the signal.

stratamania said:
Am I assuming you are asking about the six screw tremolo arm in the picture?

If so, assuming the arm is itself of the screw in type does it have a small spring below the arm?

What type of Wah pedal do you have?

If the pickups are properly adjusted (which they may not be) it sounds like the Wah is adding gain to the signal.

Thanks

I can't tell if the trem arm has a spring below it, but it looks like maybe not...  Bridge and arm came from Warmoth. It is the one in the picture.

Taking the arm out and putting it back in seems to improve positioning at least for now.

I think you are right about my Wah Pedal - the pickups probably need to be set on the low side to prevent excessive gain.  It's an RMC 10 wah made by Geoffrey Teese. 

I just don't wanna have to change my pickups because without wah they are perfect!  I may just have to bite the bullet and lower them if I wanna use the wah.

Does the trem have a screw in arm, if it's from Warmoth it's probably a Gotoh and may have a nut type fixture under the trem baseplate for adjustment.  I was discussing before more based on a Fender six screw trem.

We don't know what you define as perfect in relation to pickup height. It may be that you have them too high.

Does the wah pedal give you trouble during rehearsal?

You might try emulating your live setup in rehearsals. Keep things setup in your rehearsal space as similar as possible as the live space.

This is not always possible but sometimes in somebody's basement its easy to forget how cramped it can be when the club/restaurant owner shunts you into the corner.

Back