WezV Builds

just got some progress pics from my sprayer.  this obviously isnt flatted off yet - but gives a nice idea of the colour

25052009223.jpg

25052009231.jpg

yeah - gonna be pretty good when its done.  the back and sides are going to be a satin/matt finish - still not sure with the top.  i am just happy that the blue stayed blue - it can go green really easily

Wow - that vendetta is something else.  :hello2:

What is the bridge you are using on it?

its an ebony plate with graphtech saddles bolted to it, simple but ti works well and is actually very comfortable

Looks amazing. Great work. How is it to play chords on that multi-scale? I can't imagine comping along with the frets angled all funny like that even though I'm sure it sounds great.

tfarny said:
Looks amazing. Great work. How is it to play chords on that multi-scale? I can't imagine comping along with the frets angled all funny like that even though I'm sure it sounds great.

depending how much you fan and where you fan from its no real difference, nobody will believe that but its true ;)

i can honestly say that switching to a fanned fret guitar like this takes no more than a minute or two of adjustment.  it feels very natural

tfarny said:

I've always heard that it was very natural to play.
If you swing your arm from left to right, there is only one place that it is straight.
As your hand swings from high frets to low frets, there is also only one place that it would be straight. The angle of the frets is ergonomic to your hand position.

Just for kicks, I'd love to see a fanned fret TrueTemperament neck... :blob7:
It would just be squiggly lines.

yeah, i dont want to be the poor soul working that out!!

fanned fret guitars can vary a lot.  mine tend to have no more than 1.5" difference over 6 strings and i like to keep the fret that is perpendicular to the centre line around the 5-9th fret... maybe up to 12th of its a shredders guitars.  this keeps them very natural feeling.  chords at the low end still work the same way and chords higher up the neck are actually a lot easier... as an example bar chords above the 12th become much more usable and feel great because your hand fits a lot more naturally in that position

i have seen some done with the bridge straight which means the nut is very fanned and low position chords are more difficult because of that. 

so dont assume all multiscales and fanned-frets are easy to play - look at whether the scales and centre of fan work for you.  i have only done a few and they have been commissions so they are very much shaped around the players needs... they also do a lot more than what the player needs, but it would be easy to make the wrong decisions on scale length and fan centre and have something that doesnt suit them as well. 

ocguy106 said:
sorry to ask but what is the reason for the fanned frets
You can have a longer scale on the lower strings (think how fender scale sounds less flubby on the low strings), and shorter scale on the higher strings (think softer highs, I think)

ocguy106 said:
sorry to ask but what is the reason for the fanned frets

Ergonomics.
Long scale on the low strings and short scale on the high strings. (think like a piano...)
Better intonation.

Back