Wenge/wenge Gecko wide 5

Edin

Hi ppl,

I am Edin from Sarajevo, Bosnia, 41 old and bass player since 1987.

Just start with my first custom project called Gecko WWW (Wide-Wenge body-Wenge neck) with ebony fretboard.

I know that wenge is very hard wood but I am 196cm tall, 110kg weight and think that it not be a problem.

I have a dilemma - to do drill a nice body for numerous pots needed for Aguilar OBP-3 or put 2 two pots only (VOL-BLEND) and use Aguilar Tone Hammer?

Need Your opinions, please.

Regards

Hi Edin,

I'm from the neighbourhood (Budapest, Hungary) :headbang:

If you don't want many pots, you should try the stacked version of the OBP-3. Even if you have two pickups, you can use all of the OBP's features with 3 stacked pots and a switch (vol+vol/treble+bass/midlevel+midfreq and the active/passive switch)

Edin said:
Hi ppl,

I am Edin from Sarajevo, Bosnia, 41 old and bass player since 1987.

Just start with my first custom project called Gecko WWW (Wide-Wenge body-Wenge neck) with ebony fretboard.

I know that wenge is very hard wood but I am 196cm tall, 110kg weight and think that it not be a problem.

I have a dilemma - to do drill a nice body for numerous pots needed for Aguilar OBP-3 or put 2 two pots only (VOL-BLEND) and use Aguilar Tone Hammer?

Need Your opinions, please.

Regards

There is a lot of wenge going on right now. I like it... We will need lots of pictures!

Hi ppl,

Just sent official order to Warmoth.

My plan is put golden hardware at dark wenge texture. PUPs will be Batolini X5 bridge/neck bcs. i like more space for fingers.
Brian from BestBassGear give to me big support with adequate advices. THANK YOU BRIAN!!!!  :hello2: :hello2:

I am waiting for answer from Warmoth about total project cost, shipping cost to Bosnia (4th USPS zone brrrr) and will see the instrument very soon I hope  :blob7:

Regards
Edin

Wenge looks cool with black hardware :icon_thumright:
Img_0683_smaller.jpg

WOW, so elegant look, I agree, but want disperse the darkness and gold gives the sufficient contrast. My opinion... I have thought between black or gold... but must think about few factor - playability at dark stage, ... and my bad sight  :glasses9:

kboman said:
NonsenseTele said:
Wenge looks cool with black hardware :icon_thumright:

You'll have to give us more info than just a picture on that cool guitar!

It's a custom Fanned Fret baritone built "by" my friend Wez Venables (english luthier)...
It's 28"-26" scale and single Bare Knuckle's Black Dog humbucker on bridge (the one suggested by Tim Mills to Baritones)
Neck is Maple/Bubinga/Wenge/Bubinga/Maple, neck-thru, with Bubinga body and Wenge top... If I'm not wrong the fretboard is Ebony :)
Sorry for the hijack, Edin!

EDIT: by instead of from... hehehe

Hm, oil finished maple??? Maybe, it is instrument for looking, not for playing.

You mean regarding sturdiness?
If I'm not mistaken most violin necks are finished with oil, at least the better ones, so it all depends on how you do it! :)

Not sure of which oil he used, he only said "natural oil"

And definelly it's a player's guitar... the owner is "one guitar man"

thx for the plug FE

the top is finished in danish oil, wenge doesnt need much protection.  The maple and bubinga around the back are finished in gun stock oil (tru-oil), they benefit from the little extra protection that particular oil gives.... i assure you this guitar is built for playing, not sitting around looking pretty (or mean)!!

wenge does take a lacquer finish quite well but has huge pores so grain filling needs to be thorough - although i much prefer the feel of oiled wenge

WezV said:
thx for the plug FE

the top is finished in danish oil, wenge doesnt need much protection.  The maple and bubinga around the back are finished in gun stock oil (tru-oil), they benefit from the little extra protection that particular oil gives.... i assure you this guitar is built for playing, not sitting around looking pretty (or mean)!!

wenge does take a lacquer finish quite well but has huge pores so grain filling needs to be thorough - although i much prefer the feel of oiled wenge
Welcome, Wez!

Hey, how's bending on that fanned neck?

I have actually been a lurking member for a long time, just never posted before :)

bending can seem a little odd at first on fanned fret instruments  - but you adjust quickly.    I know they look a little odd but it really is no more difficult than switching between two guitars with different scale lengths.. feels a bit odd the first time but then its easy to switch between them all the time

WezV said:
I have actually been a lurking member for a long time, just never posted before :)

bending can seem a little odd at first on fanned fret instruments  - but you adjust quickly.    I know they look a little odd but it really is no more difficult than switching between two guitars with different scale lengths.. feels a bit odd the first time but then its easy to switch between them all the time
Seems odd because each string has it's own scale length.

Back