wenge top & tung oil?

kurcatovium

This is just wild fantasizing for this moment, but I'm gathering all the informations I can before I make the order.

I'm thinking of swamp ash body with wenge top finished in tung oil. I'd rather avoid filler to keep "grain structure of wood" but I'm really not sure if it's wise idea.
My current bass has swamp ash body with pretty open grain finish too and I really like it, I just really don't know what kind of finish is that - it has been refinished by one of the previous owners... I assume it could be some oil or tru-oil varnish maybe?

You'll have to be careful with the finish. If it gets too glossy, the wood will look awful without grainfiller.

Do I get it right that "too glossy = a lot of layers"? If this was true, I wouldn't be afraid of it :) I'd like to keep it simple and easy (4-5 layers maybe, just a wild guess).

kurcatovium said:
Do I get it right that "too glossy = a lot of layers"? If this was true, I wouldn't be afraid of it :) I'd like to keep it simple and easy (4-5 layers maybe, just a wild guess).

You can put as many applications on as you want, just don't let it buff out too shiny. At least to me, the glare off of wood with a lot of pitting from open grain is very unappealing.

Back